Future first trip to Aston from the United States question

aztattooedsean777

I am leaning towards flying to Birmingham from the States rather than flying to London and training up when I make my eventual first trip to attend a match at Villa Park. I am curious from the airport how do I get over to Aston. Is it by a short train or what is the most convenient way.

I guess I am curious as I want to know how much time to plan for when heading back to the airport.

Thanks 8)

Interesting. Thanks. I think I am going to find a hotel relatively close to the airport so I don't have to travel too far for an early flight back to the States. I will then just have to find my way over to Villa Park or anywhere else I might check out during the 4 nights over there.

I am going to be over there for the May 22 match vs Liverpool.

This is where I am considering staying but again, just starting to look around:

Express by Holiday Inn - Castle Bromwich

Chester Rd, Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, B35 7AF

Yeah, I am going to compare to some of the hotels a little closer to the airport. My other question and I know it is a somewhat dumb question, are there taxi's to be found outside Villa Park after a match. My cell phone won't work over there so I just want to know if it will be easy to get a taxi to travel back to the hotel after the match.

I found this at the main website and wondered where is the security lodge at Villa Park:

Booking: Taxis can be ordered post-match at the Security Lodge. Given the volume of traffic in the area it is not possible to pre-book in advance.

Pick up point: Passengers will be collected on Witton Lane adjacent to the Security Lodge.

If on budget Etap hotel is spitting distance from airport and cheap but clean. Off peak day return to Witton from airport is £4 return (change in Bham new street) and Witton is 5 minute walk from VP. Free shuttle from airport to Bham International train station where there are regular trains that whisk you into city centre.

ps trains here have off peak prices which are after 9:30 weekdays and all weekend (last time I checked), though the return portion can be used at any time if open return. Confused yet? Just ask at the station for cheapest option for your journey and they have to let you know.

One of the stations (Witton Station) is just behind the North Stand literally a minute away from the ground the other station is Aston Station is in the direction behind the Holte End and is about a 5 minute walk.

The train station for the airport is Birmingham International you can get a direct train from both stations to Birmingham International in the week, I'm unsure about weekends.

If I were you and assuming that you are going to sit in the Holte End then I would go to Aston station personally.

If you want to check train times between Witton or Aston and Birmingham International ahead of your visit you can do so here

One of the stations (Witton Station) is just behind the North Stand literally a minute away from the ground the other station is Aston Station is in the direction behind the Holte End and is about a 5 minute walk.

The train station for the airport is Birmingham International you can get a direct train from both stations to Birmingham International in the week, I'm unsure about weekends.

If I were you and assuming that you are going to sit in the Holte End then I would go to Aston station personally.

If you want to check train times between Witton or Aston and Birmingham International ahead of your visit you can do so here

Yeah, I will be in the Holte end. I will definitely hold onto that link. I will be staying Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Monday is up in the air but I am leaning to flying home on Monday.

If on budget Etap hotel is spitting distance from airport and cheap but clean. Off peak day return to Witton from airport is £4 return (change in Bham new street) and Witton is 5 minute walk from VP. Free shuttle from airport to Bham International train station where there are regular trains that whisk you into city centre.

ps trains here have off peak prices which are after 9:30 weekdays and all weekend (last time I checked), though the return portion can be used at any time if open return. Confused yet? Just ask at the station for cheapest option for your journey and they have to let you know.

I am okay to pay a little although I am not one that cares about 5 star hotels. I did check out a few hotels right near the airport.

I am basically my usual, never been somewhere, nervous first time visitor so just trying to get the ride to and from the match part down. I am sure by the 20th plus time I visit Villa Park that this might no longer be an issue. :D

As others have said, my advice would be to use trains. Birmingham International Train Station is basically AT the airport, so is easy to find.

I'm fairly sure there are direct trains to Aston/Witton but you'd have to double check. Google "birmingham train times" nearer the date and you'll find timetable online.

At worst you'll have to change at New Street, and there will be a lot of Villa fans doing similar journeys so worst case just ask someone or tag along with someone.

Get the same train back. A taxi back from the ground to the airport could be over £30. i live near the airport so I know from experience that a black cab from brimingham to the airport (ish) is about £25, and Villa Park is further away than the city centre.

Edit: in fact, Here is the link for the site I use to find train times. Think that's the same as Trent posted, but just to reinforce that's what you should use, although it won't show it until closer to the date I think.

Get the hotel to book you a taxi to the station (whouldn't be more than a few quid if you're staying near the airport), train there and back, taxi back to the hotel. easy.

Maybe it would be better for you to stay in the City Centre?

Then you can settle there on the Friday night and have one quick train to the game on the Saturday. Then your within throwing distance of all the things to do in Brum.

As others have said, my advice would be to use trains. Birmingham International Train Station is basically AT the airport, so is easy to find.

I'm fairly sure there are direct trains to Aston/Witton but you'd have to double check. Google "birmingham train times" nearer the date and you'll find timetable online.

At worst you'll have to change at New Street, and there will be a lot of Villa fans doing similar journeys so worst case just ask someone or tag along with someone.

Get the same train back. A taxi back from the ground to the airport could be over £30. i live near the airport so I know from experience that a black cab from brimingham to the airport (ish) is about £25, and Villa Park is further away than the city centre.

Edit: in fact, Here is the link for the site I use to find train times. Think that's the same as Trent posted, but just to reinforce that's what you should use, although it won't show it until closer to the date I think.

Get the hotel to book you a taxi to the station (whouldn't be more than a few quid if you're staying near the airport), train there and back, taxi back to the hotel. easy.

thanks, I will definitely look into this.

Maybe it would be better for you to stay in the City Centre?

Then you can settle there on the Friday night and have one quick train to the game on the Saturday. Then your within throwing distance of all the things to do in Brum.

For a first time visit and having to fly back to the states early in the morning when I leave, I would rather be based close to the airport.

Understand the 'need' to be close to the airport but I think it will be far better for you to stop in the City Centre for Friday and Saturday nights, there is not a lot going on over by the airport. Travel back to the airport hotel after the match on the Sunday and bob's your uncle - sorted.

Yeh that's not a bad idea to be fair. The airport is a fair distance from the city centre so there's not much to do there. It would be more convenient for you in regards getting to and from the airport, but being in the city centre would be better in terms of stuff to do here. Worth hinking about, although likely to be more expensive to stay there too.

If you really want to stay at the airport there are three hotels in the terminal area, Novotel, Ibis and Etap. Fri/Sat night all are likely to be cheaper than normal (Etap is cheapest). Sunday night will likely be dearer. For any other hotels locally, you may as well stay in the city.

On that note, the area that the airport is in is really crap, as well as being Bluenoseville.

For flights I guess that you are looking at Continental/United from Phoenix via Newark. If you are prepared to take a third flight it might be worth checking Expedia or similar for Air France/KLM options. I came back from San Antonio via Atlanta and Paris the other day and it was no drama, plus I do anything to avoid Newark! Apart from a cost saving, this might give you a better departure time.

Trains from the city to the airport are at worst every 20 mins from early morning through to late evening.

Â