Future first trip to Aston from the United States question

aztattooedsean777

If you really want to stay at the airport there are three hotels in the terminal area, Novotel, Ibis and Etap. Fri/Sat night all are likely to be cheaper than normal (Etap is cheapest). Sunday night will likely be dearer. For any other hotels locally, you may as well stay in the city.

On that note, the area that the airport is in is really crap, as well as being Bluenoseville.

For flights I guess that you are looking at Continental/United from Phoenix via Newark. If you are prepared to take a third flight it might be worth checking Expedia or similar for Air France/KLM options. I came back from San Antonio via Atlanta and Paris the other day and it was no drama, plus I do anything to avoid Newark! Apart from a cost saving, this might give you a better departure time.

Trains from the city to the airport are at worst every 20 mins from early morning through to late evening.

thanks. I usually travel overseas once a year but this year, I hope to plan 2 overseas trips. This is my short trip. I don't usually like going through Newark but I am still considering my options. I prefer Atlanta as I use Delta quite often to go overseas but then again this is first time going to the UK where I wasn't going to London.

Yeh that's not a bad idea to be fair. The airport is a fair distance from the city centre so there's not much to do there. It would be more convenient for you in regards getting to and from the airport, but being in the city centre would be better in terms of stuff to do here. Worth hinking about, although likely to be more expensive to stay there too.

Oh, I am definitely considering going to city centre during the non Villa match days. Once I get my bearings down and I know the train to get down there, it won't be an issue for me to go to and from the city centre on my open days. I don't drink so I am not thinking of hanging out in pubs late Friday and Saturday nights. I am curious if the trains travel back and forth from the city centre to the airport stops after any certain time of night.

I just notice that when I was first considering flights to choose from that most of my departure ones out of Birmingham were early in the morning. This is why I feel like I prefer to at least stay near the airport.

Yeh that's not a bad idea to be fair. The airport is a fair distance from the city centre so there's not much to do there. It would be more convenient for you in regards getting to and from the airport, but being in the city centre would be better in terms of stuff to do here. Worth hinking about, although likely to be more expensive to stay there too.

Oh, I am definitely considering going to city centre during the non Villa match days. Once I get my bearings down and I know the train to get down there, it won't be an issue for me to go to and from the city centre on my open days. I don't drink so I am not thinking of hanging out in pubs late Friday and Saturday nights. I am curious if the trains travel back and forth from the city centre to the airport stops after any certain time of night.

Last train from Birmingham New Street to International is 2353 Mondays - Fridays, 4/5 trains per hour from 2100 ish. Last train Saturday is 2313, 2 per hour late evening. Last train on Sunday is 2314, 2/3 per hour late evening. These times won't change until mid May approx.

I just notice that when I was first considering flights to choose from that most of my departure ones out of Birmingham were early in the morning. This is why I feel like I prefer to at least stay near the airport.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this thread.

I work near the airport and there is really f*ck all to do around there - especially if you don't drink. Also some guy burns chemical waste (or something really smelly) round there on occasions so if you're really unlucky, the place could stink of shit all weekend.

The city centre is only a 10 minute train ride away and it's a stop on the Birmingham to London route so there are plenty of trains that pass through

Â