AVFC-Prideofbrum

Who will win the Ballon d'Or?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Ballon d'Or?

• Andres Iniesta
    • Xavi
    • Lionel Messi

Don't make me pull my Xavi quote out:

"The only reason the rest of us have any chance of winning this year is because the World Cup didn't turn out too well for Argentina, because if it had, then it (the Ballon d'Or) would be no contest.

"In my view, Leo is now even better than Maradona was. He's going to be at the very top for many years to come, there's nobody like him."

For me, I think it pays testament to how good he actually was that he won it during a world cup year. In other World Cup years, there's been plenty of great players but no one that stood out as clearly the best while I do think this year and at the moment, Messi stands out as clearly the best footballer and above everyone else in the world, at least in 2010 he was and even a Spanish World Cup didn't change that.

I just believe he was the best overall in 2010, I think it's hard to disagree with that and therefore deserves to win it.

20 years time, Messi will be known as one of the games greats.

Sneijder won't. Xavi and Iniesta probably will because they are brilliant players who will many more things in their career. Well Iniesta will for sure.

Xavi will be ahead of Messi imo in 20 years when history is wrote.

why not.

He has been the heart of arguably the best club side Europe has ever seen.

He has also been the heart of the current European and World Champions.

He has been consistently brilliant for nearly 10 years.

Doesnt matter who he plays he nearly always plays well.

Great courage to no matter who he plays he will never change his style.

His performance in 2004 vs England in Bernabeu was an absolute masterclass and he made an England midfield look like a glorified pub team

Maybe he doesnt score 40 goals a year but Barcelona and Spain would be nowhere near successful without him

Because Xavi is a truely wonderful player but Messi will go down alongside Maradona, Pele as the worlds greatest. He's 23 and won the Ballon d'Or twice.

In 20 years time, maybe you'll say otherwise all up for opinions but when a kid asks you 'who was the best player you saw'....I think the majority will be saying Messi over Xavi.

Well I know many people in Spain rate Xavi more.

Messi is a great player but he has never delivered for Argentina in 3 major tournaments and many big games vs Brazil, Germany etc. He needs to succeed at this level before he can be mentioned with the greats. His record at international level is quite poor 15 goals in over 50 caps.

If he played for Spain with Xavi he would have double that amount ;)

Messi will be regarded higher amongst the general population because of the silly stuff he can do, and the obvious impact he has on games.

Xavi will be remembered better amongst people who understand football and realise that he was the key player in great teams. He'll be remembered in the same vein as a Socrates as opposed to a Maradona.

Messi will be regarded higher amongst the general population because of the silly stuff he can do, and the obvious impact he has on games.

Xavi will be remembered better amongst people who understand football and realise that he was the key player in great teams. He'll be remembered in the same vein as a Socrates as opposed to a Maradona.

Are you saying people who understand football will pick Xavi ahead of Messi or saying will be remembered more as in people who understand will talk about likes of Xavi and not just Messi?

Fair enough. Well my opinion is pretty known but I feel in good company, even today, Guardiola stated he still thinks Messi is the best. Which given he should be unbiased I think says plenty.

One will go down as the great midfielders of all time, one the greatest players of all time. At least they are both around and in the same team, makes for splendid watching. Iniesta to. David Villa barely gets spoke about and yet he was the guy who won most of the games for Spain!

They are on tonight!

His performance in 2004 vs England in Bernabeu was an absolute masterclass and he made an England midfield look like a glorified pub team

He can add his to a long list of names then if that is one of the criteria.

Sneijder should've won it. Messi is VERY good but he's actually starting to get overrated now.

Sneijder better than Messi?

Sneijder is a very good player but he isn't even on the same level as Xavi, Iniesta in my opinion. Or Ronaldo of course.

I don't know about better, but he's up there. He's definitely had a better year.

You don't know about better? come on....better year?

Messi scored 58 goals in 54 games in 2010...(thought it 54...but was corrected thanks to the beautiful La Liga commentators)

Maybe as a player involved in a team he had a better year...

Sneijder as an individual is below Xavi, Iniesta so he certainly isn't on Messi's level.

but winning a treble and and being teh key player for your team getting to World Cup final is probably a much better achievement

It is an individual award though.

but its a team game

Well the teams win the cups and the leagues, the players win stuff like this.

Messi scored 58 goals in 54 games in 2010...(thought it 54...but was corrected thanks to the beautiful La Liga commentators)

Sneijder as an individual is below Xavi, Iniesta so he certainly isn't on Messi's level.

It's not just about goals. Sneijder pretty much carried the Netherlands through the World Cup and was by far Inter's most important player in the Champions League win.

It's not just about goals. Sneijder pretty much carried the Netherlands through the World Cup and was by far Inter's most important player in the Champions League win.

but being a key player doesn't make you the worlds best. Sneijder won the Champions League because his manager was Jose Mourinho, he was a key player for them but they didn't win it because Sneijder was in the team, he was a key player in a very good team managed by the worlds best manager.

World Cup, he had a pretty good world cup but apart from Brazil, they didn't beat anyone else you'd go 'that was a great result'...

He's a very good player but he was a key player in a great team rather than simply being a great individual player.

Yeah football ain't just about goals but 58 goals in a calender year is more than plenty of teams will score as a team!

Didn't see the game tonight but going on stats here.

Barca 5-0 Betis. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta all played. Messi got 3 goals. Iniesta got 3 assists. Xavi got nothing.

Now I am in no way saying Xavi isn't good, he is incredible but Messi is the best player in the world. And personally I rate Iniesta better than Xavi. And tonights game backs up my views. :lol:

Â