Barry/Milner Swap?

Demitri_C

Barry or Milner  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Barry or Milner

• Gareth Barry
    • James Milner

We can't have dips in form over a couple of seasons, that's the definition of being mediocre. Gareth Barry has NOTHING in his game saying he is a top-5 kind of player.

Take of your Villa-goggles and see the truth.

He is 32nd in Fantasy OPTA (amongst midfielders, and he has played 5th most counting minutes amonst these).

He is in 25th when it comes to assists this season, only counting midfielders.

He has missed 1 penalty and lost two vital points

He has 1 goal this season, which is pretty awful for such a capped midfielder

He is in 7th when it comes to letting in the most goals whilst on the pitch (amongst midfielders)

He has 7 yellow cards

He has one red card

He has made 112 dribbles this season, Milner on the other hand has 179.

Avg. ratings from some newspapers, the Norwegian newspapers use ratings from England:

6,61 (54th place) - VG

6,50 (below top 50)

All I'm saying is that, even though he is in a sour team like Aston Villa, Gareth Barry is below the average opinion of him. Statistics PROVE that.

Gareth Barry has experienced too much mediocrity at Villa to ever be a top player. He is used to losing, and losing in a Claret and Blue shirt - he wont and never will have the mindset of a winner due to the past 7 seasons.

Milner on the other hand is still growing and no doubt believes that he will be a winner.

Its a key difference for me and is why I would go with Milner every time. milner represents the future, barry represents the last 7 seasons - which quite frankly I would, on the whole, rather forget!

Milner has the attacking attitude, just like Ronaldo. He wants to attack every time and never wants to go off the field. He gives everything for 90 minutes + overtime, and that is so much more satisfying than Barry's ... well..... mediocre stuff

Under GT Barry was amazing. Bring GT in as Barry's personal coach and I'd keep him, otherwise Milner every time.

Wasn't it a case that in GT season Barry was just the least shite player? :)

Under GT Barry was amazing

Wasn't that like 4 years ago and we almost relegated? There's always a few players who over-perform when everyone else is doing shite, like Barry that season, and Marcus Allbäck, who saved us from relegation with some vital goals.

The sooner someone at Villa realises that Barry is a central midfielder the better for everyone. Its what he was before JG turned him into a defender, its the position he played when we bought him - its his natural game. Can tackle, can pass and is good coming into the box late, lacks something in the speed dept but isnt easily shrugged off the ball. Also scores the occaisional goal, which I'd expect him to increase if moved into the centre.

Villa fans have never apprreciated central mids since a certain mr Platt, its always been "he passes sideways", "He cant pass" "doesnt score enough" "LIGHTWEIGHT" etc etc

I've always thought he was a natural there, I've seen him have good games there (whilst other fans have slated him in the same game). I'd keep Barry like a shot, I'd just play him differently, I'd play him properly.

Rocafella, Barry has been abused as a player for many a year, played out of position. There arent too many English Cent Mids with the qualities Barry has - he just needs to be played correctly something DOL JG and GT have never really done

(its my opinion anyway)

Under GT Barry was amazing

Wasn't that like 4 years ago and we almost relegated? There's always a few players who over-perform when everyone else is doing shite, like Barry that season, and Marcus Allbäck, who saved us from relegation with some vital goals.

Yeah I knew someone would say that.

The fact that we're just as shit this season (almost certainly going to finish with less points, got 45 didn't we?) and he still looks distinctly average says a lot don't you think.

And yeah Allback had a good 10 game spell or something, Barry was quality all season.

His best position seems to be the left side of a back 3. But no-one plays a back 3 anymore, and with good reason, so that makes him kind of obsolete.

Like I say if he can recapture the form he showed under GT great, but at the moment he's not pulling his (considerable) weight.

Rocafella, Barry has been abused as a player for many a year, played out of position. There arent too many English Cent Mids with the qualities Barry has - he just needs to be played correctly something DOL JG and GT have never really done

You are into something, but Barry would raise his hand if he felt he was wide away from what he wants, wouldn't he? I also think there are many English central midfielders that has a far better game than Barry, f.ex Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Nolan, Barton, Jenas, Carrick and Reo-Coker are the ones that springs to mind, and I have probably left out quite a bit.

Has to be Milner.

The top teams have players that beat men. Barry doesn't. Milner does.

It's not even as if Barry produces consistent final delivery, he never really delivers undefendable balls. Milner is inconsistent, but he has the ability to produce world class crosses.

And yeah Allback had a good 10 game spell or something, Barry was quality all season.

I'm just kidding with the Allbäck-thing, ya'll know that I have a "thing" for him.

If we were to play Barry cause he was good 4 years ago, we could easily have played Steve McManaman and Faustino Asprilla as well. (Almost)

It's not even as if Barry produces consistent final delivery, he never really delivers undefendable balls. Milner is inconsistent, but he has the ability to produce world class crosses.

Not to mention that Barry is too slow to get to the by-line, something Milner does much more than Barry.

Barry has been free of major injuries this season, which is a very good thing.

Milner has played 600 fewer minutes than Barry, but easily out-classes him in every statistic-page.

Says it all really?

you and your stats

I'll give you something not statistically linked

Without GB we would be in a far worse position than we are

Barry has been free of major injuries this season, which is a very good thing.

Milner has played 600 fewer minutes than Barry, but easily out-classes him in every statistic-page.

Says it all really?

you and your stats

I'll give you something not statistically linked

Are there any stats to back that up?? :winkold:

I am one of the guilty parties who voted for Milner and who is at last crawling very belatedly out of the woodwork. I agree with quite a lot of what Rocafella is saying, but blimey, it'd be a difficult decision. I do think it would be sad and silly if we ever let Barry go.

But he hasn't made 3467 dribbles!!

Now seriously, we are lucky we've got a useful player like him. He does his job in midfield and we picked up some valuable points with him at left back when Bouma and Samuel were injured.

Â