Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

top players, strikers especially, are regulars at a couple of years younger than 20/21

So erm, hang on... theres a 2 in it... that's, yes regulars at 18/19 your saying?

Name me one striker who is a regular in the premiership who is 18/19?

sorry, worded that wrong - what im saying is when top strikers come through topflight youth systems ala Owen, Rooney, Fowler and countless others over the years, they are regulars in their sides at 18 or 19 and sometimes younger....... if they are destined for great things they dont still struggle for gametime and opportunities when theyre nearly 21. The players that do struggle to break through by the time they are Delfonz's age more often than not drop down the leagues and possibly make a decent lower league career for themselves !! There is no way that the Fonz will make the grade at Villa - if he was going to he would have already !! Two managers now haven't given him a go (three if you include Kev Mac)

for me, hes way way overhyped......... hes 20 years old, made 40odd appearances, had a spell on loan, and been in and around the sqaud for 3 seasons and is still no nearer to breaking through.................. bin him off for me, hell never make it at top level.......

at the end of the day, hes no Owen, Rooney, Fowler and that is the calibre we need to take us where we need to go......... cream rises - and this kid has sunk

You're either being sarcastic or incredibly short sighted. 40 appearances yes, but 8 goals, which isn't too bad considering the majority of those appearances are from the bench well into the second half.

neither short sighted or sarcastic, its my opinion of the kid......... youve actually hit the nail on the head, if he was that good would he be restricted to mainly substitute appearances??? No, hed be being pushed into the team to play - but hes not, good cover - no more !!

top players, strikers especially, are regulars at a couple of years younger than 20/21

Except for one of the most prolific strikers in Premier League history,Ian Wright, who only got a professional contract and made his debut at Crystal Palace at 22.

Or a Villa legend and midfielder, Ian Taylor, who never played a professional game until he was 24, and even then that was for Port Vale.

It **** destroys me how morons on this site are so happy to write a player off at 20 years old. Switch your computer off and do something else...

OOOOOOOHHH Sorry for having a differing opinion !

As for Wrighty and Taylor two players out of how many?? TWO !! not exactly a great example, only other examples that spring to mind who have done similar are Super Kev and maybe Beckford....... Thats four players who have trod similar paths out of how many !! how about the other 500,000 that dont get anywhere near !!??!!

and FWIW "it **** destroys me" how morons on this site can sit and bleet about the next best things when theyre blatantly a million miles away. So switch off your computer and **** off and do something else

I'm sure we were all expecting his loan spell to be more productive in terms of goals but the championship is one hard division to play in at times, but it won't get any easier in the premiership.

I think he's very similar player to gabby, if he was as fortunate enough as gabby to play a full season when we weren't blessed with a great deal of attacking options then I think he'd bag 10 or so goals, about the same as gabby did.

He's got 4 years on gabby but unless something dramatic happens he won't be getting anywhere near the amount of game time that gabby got at that age which will hamper his progress.

He's equipped himself well at international level U19's & 21's, scored a few goals for us against half decent opposition and was brilliant at club youth level so I don't doubt that he's got a future in the top 2 divisions.

Having said that, the next year will be very important for him, if he hardly plays for villa and doesn't particulaly shine when on-loan then he could be looking at a move that will only be to a smaller club than villa.

I really like the lad but would like to see some of that albrighton tenacity about him, you've got to show your giving it everything while trying to break into the team but talent he ain't short of, and just needs it to click at the top level.

Who did he score that cracking volley against in europe?

8 goals in 10 starts at the age of 20, he still has huge potential

Are you sure about that stat because I'm not, in fact I'm really not sure about it at all.

it's 7 in 10 starts really but i decided to include his goal he scored at fratton park which he scored after coming on as a substitute but it's still a very good record for a young player

Whoever manages Villa next season, the pressure will really be on to get us back to a top 4 challenge.

Are people really saying that manager should bank on Delfouneso as one of our strikers to get us to that position?

It would certainly be a brave manager who did that.

8 goals in 10 starts at the age of 20, he still has huge potential

Are you sure about that stat because I'm not, in fact I'm really not sure about it at all.

it's 7 in 10 starts really but i decided to include his goal he scored at fratton park which he scored after coming on as a substitute but it's still a very good record for a young player

Ah so now you can include goals that didn't count to support your argument.

I might be missing something here but how exactly did you come up with your 7 goals in 10 starts stat anyway?

Its just that the Villa offical site has these stats;

Player Record

Season Club Played Goals YC RC

2010 - 11 Burnley 11 (4) 1 1 0

2010 - 11 Aston Villa 11 (9) 1 0 0

2009 - 10 Aston Villa 9 (9) 1 0 0

2008 - 09 Aston Villa 4 (4) 0 0 0

TOTAL 35 3 1 0

They seem to tell a different story to 7 in 10.

yes, he hasn't scored against fulham and gillingham in games which he has started, so his record is in fact 7 goals in 9 starts which is absolutely superb for a young player

Only he has started far more than 9 games.

Well you need to add his Burnley starts in too.

why? i don't care what does for burnley, i care about aston villa, he never should've gone there in the first place, his goalscoring record for us should've earned him a run in the team, no doubt about that

yes, he hasn't scored against fulham and gillingham in games which he has started, so his record is in fact 7 goals in 9 starts which is absolutely superb for a young player

Only he has started far more than 9 games.

who else has he started against? why would i make up stats regarding a player?

why? i don't care what does for burnley, i care about aston villa, he never should've gone there in the first place, his goalscoring record for us should've earned him a run in the team, no doubt about that

You cannot rule out stats just because you do not agree with it. Utter nonsense.

You cannot rule out stats just because you do not agree with it. Utter nonsense.

no, it isn't seeing as he's played mainly on the wing there, it's an absolute disgrace the way he's been treated

Â