Barry Bannan

villianusa

So bascially Con the role you see Bannan playing, is sitting in the centre circle, not really tackling, not winning any headers, not scoring any goals, not creating any assists.

You are amazed? What does Leon Britton do at Swansea? Bannan is not exactly the same type of player but not all effective CMs win headers, tackle, create assists, get forward.

As for assists Bannan would have had a bucket load if it wasn't for poor finishing. He has a good key pass rate.

You want someone else in there to do his defensive work, I presume someone else in there to get forward and score goals and create from midfield. So that is two players required in order to make up for the thing's that by your own admission Bannan lacks.

That's the role Ireland is paid his wage to do.

The problem is that Bannan isn't good enough to build a team around, he isn't good enough to warrant having players in the side to make up for his short falls. He isn't good enough at the things he is supposed to be good at to justify that kind of importance or his continued place in the team.

You are creating a strawman argument that is easily defeated.

I'm not saying we should build a team around Bannan.

The top teams aren't built around certain players because of large squads and rotation.

I know we all want one hero - a Steven Gerrard like character - but that is dreamland.

Just because Bannan isn't that type of player doesn't mean he should be vilified.

I watch football with my eyes, not on an excel spread sheet and nothing I've seen of Bannan in his approaching 80 appearances suggest to me he is any good.

Good enough in the eyes of successive managers to deserve 80 appearances.

So bascially Con the role you see Bannan playing, is sitting in the centre circle, not really tackling, not winning any headers, not scoring any goals, not creating any assists.

You want someone else in there to do his defensive work, I presume someone else in there to get forward and score goals and create from midfield. So that is two players required in order to make up for the thing's that by your own admission Bannan lacks.

The problem is that Bannan isn't good enough to build a team around, he isn't good enough to warrant having players in the side to make up for his short falls. He isn't good enough at the things he is supposed to be good at to justify that kind of importance or his continued place in the team.

Please do not reply to this with stats, I'm not interested in any of the stats you've posted to date or any stats that you could post in the future. They are meaningless to me especially when you use them to try and claim Bannan's a potentially world class player, the best crosser of a ball in the PL and that his crossing is a world class weapon.

I watch football with my eyes, not on an excel spread sheet and nothing I've seen of Bannan in his approaching 80 appearances suggest to me he is any good.

Stats are claiming he is good going forward - it is true and also with his weaknesses, but he is playing on the position which needs DEFENDING almost evenly as ATTACKING.

Stats are claiming he is good going forward - it is true and also with his weaknesses, but he is playing on the position which needs DEFENDING almost evenly as ATTACKING.

Swansea's Leon Britton has little defending skill. He's smaller than Bannan. He's a lot older and more experienced than Bannan and has less responsibility (doesn't take set pieces) so can just focus on his passing game.

So what is Bannan's role exactly? Con.

AMC - same as Ireland and Delph, may be Holman. These players do not know how to defend, are not strong enough to play on MC or DMC position. I am claiming it for a long time and this is our main problem together with strength and heigth of our defenders.

99% time the manager tells the player how to take the corners. They are worked at on the training ground. Everyone who's played football knows that.

If Bannan is taking them the wrong way, the manager should intervene and tell him to take it a different way. I don't believe Bannan is simply defying instructions.

We know Bannan is capable of the whipped in, fizzing cross. He did a few in the first leg against Bradford.

Yes I know, but I also know too that if someone is not good at one thing he is going to do it his way. We do not know if it is an intention of manager or inability of player but one or other way, current technique of Bannan's crossing is a waste if it is intented to score from his cross therefore his ratio of successful crosses is irrelevant to me. Edited by Majkee

AMC - same as Ireland and Delph, may be Holman. These players do not know how to defend, are not strong enough to play on MC or DMC position. I am claiming it for a long time and this is our main problem together with strength and heigth of our defenders.

... not AMC.

Delph is DM© Ireland is listed M (CR), Bannan M (CLR)

Holman and N'Zogbia are AM (CLR)

Yes, I agree the team needs its "Alex Song". Everyone knows this. It's not even a matter of debate. Nobody claims Bannan can fill the Alex Song role :D

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/24

We do not know if it is an intention of manager or inability of player but one or other way, current technique of Bannan's crossing is a waste if it is intented to score from his cross therefore his ratio of successful crosses is irrelevant to me.

Yes I agree - except about the ratio being irrelevant. Still has to get the cross on target.

When Westwood occasionally takes the corners - e.g. assist for goal against Reading - they are stood up just like Bannan often takes them.

The manager must be saying to them, "just stand it up for Benteke, he'll get it every time".

That may be right, but as you say, it may not be easiest for Benteke to score every time from this sort of ball.

Edited by Con

Bannan is 23 now. A Scottish International. He has had premiership experience with Villa. He is beyond the whole 'he has potential'. He is a championship player at best. I'd love to get rid but we can't. We don't exactly have much better options.

Yes, Bannan has gone beyond potential. He is actually the best crosser in the Premier League.

lol are people really defending this joke? Look at the wb and see how the team completely falled apart when bannan came on. This guy makes huge errors which can cost us dearly. Also to weak. Even if statistics says he is good, on the pitch its says something completely else. Only positive thing is that bannan isnt alone on this thing, there are several others that need to look in the mirror.

lol are people really defending this joke? Look at the wb and see how the team completely falled apart when bannan came on.

Nonsense. We fell apart after half time. We conceded. Then Bannan was brought on.

This guy makes huge errors which can cost us dearly.

Yet he hasn't been responsible for any of the goals we have conceded recently. Or even at all this season, except the penalty vs Man City.

Edited by Con

182 pages of slating Bannan! Dropping him is not the answer, the problems are far deeper than one short scottish bloke. Why must Villa fans find a scapegoat all the time?

Also why arent the Bannan haters mentioning how the game changed when he went off yesterday. He was the only one linking midfield to attack, something that didnt happen at all in the second half.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan. I think he is s**t. But no way is he the stand out s**t player in the squad. They are all just as shit. GIve the guy a break.

Yes, Bannan has gone beyond potential. He is actually the best crosser in the Premier League.

That's not what I said. I said Bannan has gone beyond the whole 'he has potential'.

As in - There was a point a couple of years ago where you could say, he's got potential, give him more chances to see what he can do. Yeh he makes mistakes but he's only young.

Now he is featuring in almost every prem game because we have no other options. He is plaing regularly and regularly making costly mistakes. Regularly not deliviering good corners and free kicks. He needs to go at the first opportunity.

PS, the best crosser in the league? is this a joke?

182 pages of slating Bannan! Dropping him is not the answer, the problems are far deeper than one short scottish bloke. Why must Villa fans find a scapegoat all the time?

Also why arent the Bannan haters mentioning how the game changed when he went off yesterday. He was the only one linking midfield to attack, something that didnt happen at all in the second half.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan. I think he is s**t. But no way is he the stand out s**t player in the squad. They are all just as shit. GIve the guy a break.

We can't have one scapegoat when they're all as shit as eachother.

That's not what I said. I said Bannan has gone beyond the whole 'he has potential'.

As in - There was a point a couple of years ago where you could say, he's got potential, give him more chances to see what he can do. Yeh he makes mistakes but he's only young.

He's now showing that potential to anyone willing to step away from their bias and look at the statistics.

Now he is featuring in almost every prem game because we have no other options. He is plaing regularly and regularly making costly mistakes.

Which costly mistakes - not picking up a marker at a corner we concede from?

The criticisms of Bannan are the bad joke.

PS, the best crosser in the league? is this a joke?

It's the truth. Look at the statistics.

He's now showing that potential to anyone willing to step away from their bias and look at the statistics.

Which costly mistakes - not picking up a marker at a corner we concede from?

The criticisms of Bannan are the bad joke.

It's the truth. Look at the statistics.

Instead of looking at statistics I'd rather look at the pitch and see the nightmare he is helping to create. I suggest you take your head out of your book of numbers and do the same.

Instead of looking at statistics I'd rather look at the pitch and see the nightmare he is helping to create. I suggest you take your head out of your book of numbers and do the same.

The nightmare began when he was subbed. Our attacking structure fell apart.

We were good in the first half. Conceded from a set piece in the second. Bannan was subbed.

Team disintegrated.

Trying way too hard to pin the blame on Bannan for this result.

Conversely, I don't think it necessarily was Bannan who was integral to the team playing well in the first half. It's Bannan's role in the system.

In the first half Bannan was used. Not enough, but the team did pass through the midfield well at times.

You could have stuck Westwood in Bannan's position and had a similarly good first half.

So I'm not giving all the credit to Bannan for the first half performance in the slightest. It was the system, we played through our midfield.

Edited by Con

The nightmare began when he was subbed. Our attacking structure fell apart.

We were good in the first half. Conceded from a set piece in the second. Bannan was subbed.

Team disintegrated.

Trying way too hard to pin the blame on Bannan for this result.

I haven't said anything about Bannan in terms of last night, in fact, he had one of his better games for us last night apart from his awful delivery.

I'm talking about Bannan as a player. Not good enough.

If you want a scapegoat for last night then take your pick from the starting 11, although Joe Bennett (the worst footballer I have seen in a Villa shirt) would be my choice.