Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Liverpool? ha ha ha ha....

It happens ya know. Where have you been for the last 5 years?

Where have you been more like? Liverpool have been more unstable than us over the last 5 years.. Managers they couldnt afford to sack..Owners not willing to invest..A stadium in need of mass upgrading..They have been yo-yo'ing up and down the league..etc etc.. So even if Downing was tapped up, where's the pull? Its not like they are a top 4 team, or even a team playing in Europe..

Like I said the pull wasnt strong enough whilst we had Houllier because we were going places..He even came out publicly stating he likes Houllier. Yet as soon as Houllier departs, Downing cant get out the door quick enough.. And will continue with Bent being the next one looking to go.

McLeish out!

Villa under a new season with Houllier v Liverpool = not much difference..

Yet Villa under a new season with McLeish v Liverpool = Liverpool look the better option.

sounds about right that's how i feel anyway.

Where have you been more like? Liverpool have been more unstable than us over the last 5 years.. Managers they couldnt afford to sack..Owners not willing to invest..A stadium in need of mass upgrading..They have been yo-yo'ing up and down the league..etc etc.. So even if Downing was tapped up, where's the pull? Its not like they are a top 4 team, or even a team playing in Europe..

Like I said the pull wasnt strong enough whilst we had Houllier because we were going places..He even came out publicly stating he likes Houllier. Yet as soon as Houllier departs, Downing cant get out the door quick enough.. And will continue with Bent being the next one looking to go.

McLeish out!

Laughable post.

You're deluded if you cant see that Liverpool are a more attractive club than us.

Without delving into the past of either club..

How are Liverpool a better attraction than Aston Villa? (other than our recent piss poor appointment of a manager?)

By Liverpool? ha ha ha ha....

It happens ya know. Where have you been for the last 5 years?

McLeish out!

The stories surfacing about Downing stalling on a new contract were already out well before McLeish was appointed. I don't doubt he liked Houllier and enjoyed playing for him - but if Houllier was still the manager, Downing would still be looking to leave. He's had his head turned and he sees Liverpool as a step up - which I'm sad to say they still very much are.

Liverpool have not been 'yo-yoing' up and down the league - they've missed out on the Champions League two seasons running but have remained in the top seven. And anyone who's been watching events at Anfield with any degree of objectivity this past six months will know they have sorted out a lot of the problems caused by Hicks and Gillett, that the new board are ready and willing to invest, that the playing staff are happy and pulling in the same direction having been united under Dalglish. The run-down stadium still retains an aura that most modern grounds lack and, of course, they still have the cache of being the second biggest club in the country.

Sadly, they have a lot of the kind of stability - as things stand - that we don't during this uncertain period (and I'm still curiously optimistic about the coming season). I couldn't say if they'll be back in the top four this time next year, but I reckon they'll be making a pretty decent challenge and if I was an Arsenal fan right now I'd be worried.

You're deluded if you cant see that Liverpool are a more attractive club than us.

How are Liverpool a better attraction than Aston Villa? (other than our recent piss poor appointment of a manager?)

You honestly believe we are even close to being as attractive as Liverpool are?

They are a global brand, huge, massive, known world wide!

I suggested David Bentley, the guy is a talent who just needs to get back to a side when he can perform, no doubt his Blues stint has formed a lot of opinions but lets face it, even McLeish says they had shit players.

It makes me laugh that Mcleish had Bentley at SHA and he played Sebastian Larsson in front of him, he can't be that good if he's not being picked infront of Larsson....I honestly hate the sight of the guy, everytime I see him play he's always touching his hair to make sure it's all in place.

Hold onto him for another season unless we get a bid of 25 mill plus ! He is a class act then if he doesn't sign sell him next season sell for 16 mill . Yes risk is losing the value but worth the risk in my opinion . It's all paper speculation but it will need a serious bid to shift him think the 50 million was obviously toungue in cheek to us but there is a determination to keep him . AM would be blamed straight away for losing both Young and Downing

I don't want Big Feck at our club and think he is a useless manager.

But he wouldn't get the blame from me. It's not his fault he is in a job that isn't suited to him. It's not his fault there's not much money to spend despite needing a number of players.

I don't blame Downing for wanting to go. And I won't blame Bent for wanting to go when he goes within the next year. The club is a shambles - Big Feck is just a symptom of that.

Can't disagree at all on that, I would find it hard to as I have been warning similar for about two years!

I suggested David Bentley, the guy is a talent who just needs to get back to a side when he can perform, no doubt his Blues stint has formed a lot of opinions but lets face it, even McLeish says they had shit players.

Bentley is very similar to Downing in a lot of respects - great passing, excellent crosser of the ball, slightly lightweight.

Attitude if the big question mark but I think he might be worth chancing. Aaron Lennon has always been preferred to him at Spurs and he's never had a consistent run of games there, but when he was at Blackburn he was outstanding. A big reason for his form prior to his big-money move was his link-up with Roque Santa Cruz, who as I'm sure all will remember was enjoying the best season of his own career at the time. Bentley is the kind of player who is only as good as the striker's he's supplying to - when he first signed for Blues last season he only had Matt Derbyshire playing ahead up front and the best it ever got was when Zigic and Jerome returned to fitness. Put him in a team with Darren Bent as the figurehead and I've got a feeling that we'll all start seeing the kind of delivery that led to so many comparisons to Beckham a few years ago when he was still part of the England set-up and regarded as Beckham's most natural successor.

As I said though, attitude is the big issue. If he genuinely wants to re-establish himself as a top Premier League player and has the drive to do so, he could be a bargain. If he doesn't, we could end up with another Ireland/Beye/Warnock scenario, draining wages from the lifeblood of the club. McLeish has worked with him so if he decides to go for him, I'll trust that he will be in the best position to know whether it's worth that gamble.

It makes me laugh that Mcleish had Bentley at SHA and he played Sebastian Larsson in front of him, he can't be that good if he's not being picked infront of Larsson....I honestly hate the sight of the guy, everytime I see him play he's always touching his hair to make sure it's all in place.

I think that both of them were playing in the League games for the most part (Bentley was cup-tied for League Cup semi and final). Whilst both are naturally more suited to the right flank, I think they both had stints out on the left.

We ahead of them regards training facilities, ground, stadium etc.

Anfield is in dire need of upgrading.

Bodymoor Heath is one of the best training grounds in the world.

Our corporate facilities, location to BHX International airport etc are top drawer.

Aston Villa is all set.. We just need the right manager to take us forward..All the facilities,ground, backing are top class.

Liverpool have gone backwards and need to re-invest in their ground, facilities etc to bring them into the modern era. They strive on past successes. And at this present time are not a better attraction to a player than Aston Villa(other than our piss poor managerial appoinment)..Downing was willing to sign a new contract under Houllier.

They are also a "brand" that is becoming smaller and smaller with each year they fail to compete at the high end of football. Their current set-up is not wealthy enough to sustain a prolonged spending spree to buy their way to the top, either. At the moment they remind me of Villa when Randy took over. I can understand why, at the moment, someone might want to leave Villa to join them BUT if its to win trophies...I'm not so sure Liverpool will deliver. That Downing might want to leave, for me, is a sign of Villa's current down-scaling and lack of ambition rather than Liverpool's "bigness". He had opportunities to join them before but didn't.

In my view, Liverpool are currently bigger than Villa in the same way that Tesco's is currently bigger than Harrod's. They haven't always been "bigger" and they won't always be "bigger". These perceptions are very fluid and change with the years. Liverpool are an attractive brand today, but not huge. They are not top tier. Unless they get taken over by Russians or Arabs I find it hard to believe they will reverse the decline.

If only you were in my kitchen right now, you'd be smelling the bacon

We ahead of them regards training facilities, ground, stadium etc.

Anfield is in dire need of upgrading.

Bodymoor Heath is one of the best training grounds in the world.

Our corporate facilities, location to BHX International airport etc are top drawer.

No offense, but two of the three key factors you cite - ground and stadium - are the same thing.

And I look forward to day we sign a player and he cites our corporate facilities as a reason for choosing us over Liverpool, who were also reportedly interested but couldn't get the fax machine to transmit an offer in time due to their aging facilities.

I believe John Lennon Airport also now offers international flights so players new to the area needn't worry about booking their holidays.

Â