Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Some comments in here are a little mental. Downing is our best player, and most useful to the team by far right now and we desperately need to keep his services...unless something as good or better comes in FIRST.

If we keep on saying "just sell him" to every single player who doesnt bleed claret and blue we'll end up with 2 fifths of **** all. What I want to see is some actual balls from the board / manager to go out and remind the player he's under contract and he aint going nowhere until we have a better replacement and if it comes to the end of the window then tough we havnt got our man so you aint going nowhere. The money you'll lose because he's only got a year left after this window will be very small compared to dropping a few places in the table due to a weakened team, and shit season on shit season hurts more than financial loss alone.

If McDouche wants to earn my respect he'll start by showing some balls.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid and bring in Nzogbia and Bentley.

-----------------------Bent-----------------------

Nzogbia----Delph---Milner----Ireland----Bentley

#Nice

Not too keen on those two, particularly Ireland. I hope we can keep Downing to be honest.

Oh and I'm not a bit worried that Downing wont continue to give his all for the team if we make him stay / play. It wouldnt be in anyones interest to play shit so I really cannot see what we'd gain by letting him go.

Oh and I'm not a bit worried that Downing wont continue to give his all for the team if we make him stay / play. It wouldnt be in anyones interest to play shit so I really cannot see what we'd gain by letting him go.
Exactly. I think we should hold on to him unless we get offered silly money like £30m+

Get rid and bring in Nzogbia and Bentley.

-----------------------Bent-----------------------

Nzogbia----Delph---Milner----Ireland----Bentley

#Nice

That midfield would get destroyed I'm afraid. Replace Ireland with Reo-Coker though and that would be a different story.

Hold onto him for another season unless we get a bid of 25 mill plus ! He is a class act then if he doesn't sign sell him next season sell for 16 mill . Yes risk is losing the value but worth the risk in my opinion . It's all paper speculation but it will need a serious bid to shift him think the 50 million was obviously toungue in cheek to us but there is a determination to keep him . AM would be blamed straight away for losing both Young and Downing

N'Zogbia & Adam Johnson for me.

We also need a new GK, CB to replace Cuellar, LB & RB, DCM & ACM.

So 8 players. Can't see that happening. Let's hope Ireland can fill the ACM void if he pulls his finger out.

Pushing the boundaries of likelyhood a little bit, but I think these 2 represent our only realistic chance of being able to lose AY & SD without taking a massive backwards step.

Hold onto him for another season unless we get a bid of 25 mill plus ! He is a class act then if he doesn't sign sell him next season sell for 16 mill .

Unfortunately, I don't think Downing's market value - even after last season - is as high as Ashley Young's so I couldn't see us getting anywhere near £16m next summer. To be honest, I think we'd possibly struggle to cover the £12m we paid for him - and we don't yet know what kind of form he will sustain over the next twelve months.

Hold onto him for another season unless we get a bid of 25 mill plus ! He is a class act then if he doesn't sign sell him next season sell for 16 mill . Yes risk is losing the value but worth the risk in my opinion . It's all paper speculation but it will need a serious bid to shift him think the 50 million was obviously toungue in cheek to us but there is a determination to keep him . AM would be blamed straight away for losing both Young and Downing

And for that reason, i dont believe SD will be going anywhere this year.

If the board want AM to suceed, selling would be suicide.

I don't want Big Feck at our club and think he is a useless manager.

But he wouldn't get the blame from me. It's not his fault he is in a job that isn't suited to him. It's not his fault there's not much money to spend despite needing a number of players.

I don't blame Downing for wanting to go. And I won't blame Bent for wanting to go when he goes within the next year. The club is a shambles - Big Feck is just a symptom of that.

MM but if he wants to go then we should consider getting rid.

Bringing in N'zogbia I think is a must to replace the creativity of Young. If Downing is to leave then realistically I'd me looking to bring in someone of equal or better quality and Johnson certainly fits that bill (although very unlikely).

I'd be happy with the Zog, Verhoek, Albrighton and ANother as our wide options.

Every time I see Bentley written I die a little inside. We should get at least twenty million for downing. Then we need to see if we can get a good replacement in. Eljero Elia, Balazs Dzsudzsak, Shaqiri, Guardado, Krancjar or even Sinclair. If its tbe first two we'd have a better winger in a 433 than downing imo. If it were the others then we would have an able replacement to rotate with Marc and have money left over to bring in another good player.

Jarvis, Bentley, Etherington, Barton etc are all going to be overpriced, too old, a general twunt and all are not good enough. We can get better, younger, cheaper players than those both in this country or abroad

I feel real let down by Downing - this is a joke !!!!! losing Young and now Downing .

I hear what you are saying and would feel let down by Downing as well if he goes but I would feel more let down and angry with the board who would have let this happen, the managerial fiasco would have made downing have serious doubts about Villa's future and the boards ambition. If they had got a manager in place faster and of better pedigree maybe he might have been more interested in staying. DB won't be here long the way this is going. He must be thinking what the f*** have I signed up for?

Its **** all to do with the board and AM being appointed as manager. Liverpool are a bigger club than Villa and looking at the signings they have made over the last 6 months, they will be a force next season, where as we will no doubt be top half maybe fighting for 6th.

He's had his head turned and wants to play for a better calibre team. Nothing more than that.

Liverpool still have massive pulling power in football.

Downing was going to sign a new deal under Houllier..He was all smiles on the fans forum and couldnt wait to put pen to paper..Loves the club, Houllier, fans etc.. Its only since Houllier went down with heart trouble that he decided to change his mind..Then I suppose the appointment of Mcleish was the final nail in the coffin.

He changed his mind because Liverpool approached him. Maybe even GH has had a hand in it I don't know, or care TBH as that's part of football.

The one thing I am certain of is that we need to sell him if he wants to go. The last thing we need is another drawn out transfer saga that derails our own plans because we are waiting to sort out a sale. It could be the difference between signing Rob Green or Ben Foster.

Get rid of any player that wants to go, including Habib Beye, and get cracking with building McLeish's own team.

MM - Didn't you say in Jan that we hadn't finished "loading the basket" or something to that effect after we'd signed Bent but we were being quoted ridiculous prices for players after the Bent deal? Just curious really as I want to understand financially what has changed since then as surely if GH was to be backed heavily in Jan why wouldn't McLeish be backed heavily now, which I think he will for what it's worth.

Downing was going to sign a new deal under Houllier..He was all smiles on the fans forum and couldnt wait to put pen to paper..Loves the club, Houllier, fans etc.. Its only since Houllier went down with heart trouble that he decided to change his mind..Then I suppose the appointment of Mcleish was the final nail in the coffin.

Utter nonsense. Hes been tapped up.

Utter nonsense. Hes been tapped up.

By Liverpool? ha ha ha ha....

In other words Villa under a new season with Houllier v Liverpool = not much difference..

Yet Villa under a new season with McLeish v Liverpool = Liverpool look the better option.

Â