GK - Friedel, Guzan.

RB - Cuellar.

CB - Collins, Dunne, Davies, Clark.

LB - Warnock.

RM - Young, Albrighton

LM - Downing, Bannan

CM - Petrov, Milner, Reo-Coker, Delph.

ST - Agbonlahor, Delfouneso.

IMO, Young, Beye, Shorey, Sidwell, Osbourne, Carew, Heskey could all find new clubs.

Then fill out the squad with:

RB - Onouha - £4-5 Million.

LB - Daniel Fox - £2-3 Million (just someone cheap)

CM - Michael Carrick? - £10-12 Million.

ST - Steven Fletcher - £4 Million.

ST - Robbie Keane? - £8 Million.

(Something like that) then probably let Reo-Coker go in January on the basis Delph has recovered.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may not be as good as Sidwell at the moment, but i can see Cattermole being a better player in 5 years (which would make him the same age as Sidwell is now). Thats the advantage of youth. The disadvantage is have=ing the experience yes, but with players like Petrov, Carew, Dunne, Friedel all add that wise head to nurture the youth.

I never want to see Cattermole wearing a Villa shirt.

We need an out and out goalscorer. If we got rid of Heskey and brought in Fletcher it'd be an improvement but not a noticeable one infront of goal.

12 goals in 38 games overall for Burnley considering how poor Burnley are and the style of player he is. He's more of a creative forward than a goalscorer but also chips in with his fair share. If we can get Fletcher AND a striker, I really don't know who...I said Keane but i'm not convinced....then we could be onto a winner.

I'd get rid of both personally. We need to move away from them. Carew is probably the single most fustrating striker in the world. Seriously, one game he's wank, the next he's good. We need some consistancy in the team rather than just hope Carew is on a good day which has been about 6/7 premiership matches all season.

Also we are in Europe, Fletcher, Gabby, NEW STRIKER, Delfouneso can share plenty of time. Both Heskey and Carew played a decent amount of football this year and if you say take Gabby out for 5/6 Premiership matches and put in Delfouneso aswell as adding in European matches then i'm sure Delfouneso could reach upto around 12-15 senior starts next year.

I'd get rid of them both in a heartbeat, but it's just not as simple as that unfortunately.

Striker partnerships are just one of those things, they either click (Bellamy and Tevez) or end up shite (Torres and Keane). If ''new striker'' and Gabby don't click, and all we have is another new striker or the fonz to rely on there would potentially be a big detriment to the team in the wait of the partnership forming.

Whereas if you bring in a new lad and he struggles at the start you can bring on the old partner Carew then you are in a more comfortable position.

I'd take the risk, personally, but MON isn't a big risk taker. Time will tell.

O'Hara aside, because I think he is slightly different.

And as I said, quality doesn't mean splashing 30m quid up the wall. How much did Tim cahill / Mikel Arteta cost Everton ? , how much did Arshavin cost Arsenal, how much did the likes of Malouda / kalou cost Chelsea , or even the likes of Mordic cost Spurs...and on and on...

Tim Cahill and Mikel Arteta were both cheap, well spotted. Were they playing for big clubs? No.

Were they proven to be a hit in the PL when Moyes signed them? No.

Moyes did very well bringing in these two players. It has proved that you don't need to spend massive amounts of money to get quality players.

However, Moyes did a thing that only a small amount of managers do. Taking a punt on unproven talent, that looks promising, and nurturing them in to top quality PL players. MoN, hopefully, has done that with Delph.

This is where players like Fletcher, O'Hara, maybe even Boyd, come in to play. They will be cheap and all want to play football.

Fletcher has scored goals for a poor side, yes, they went down, but it is not a one man team. He scored goals with service from Elliott, and sometimes Eagles. Those two players don't compared to Downing, Young and Milner! The lad has great potential, and just because he may not look a million dollars, or ever played for a top team, a quality player can score goals in a poor team!

Boyd would be available on a free. Yes, he's a little older, but he is the top goalscorer in the Scottish league, which isn't easy to get, if you think it is, get your boots on and do better. SPL isn't as good as the PL, but the Championship, i think so. Like i said before, if the guy comes on a free and only scores a handful of goals, then it's a good deal. Similar situation to Owen last summer when people wanted him here.

You also have to take into account the changing market when it comes to football transfers. Because of the likes of Zlatan and Ronaldo, players are being rated at much more than they actually are.

I did I have my doubts over Keane, I think we could find better.

as for comparing Fletcher to Carew, i'm saying Fletcher is a replacement for Heskey and then we buy a top class striker alongside Agbonlahor to replace Carew.

Carew, minimal movement, poor touch, inconsistant. Great, he scores goals, 10 league goals in 32 games this season. The fact is though, every game he plays, the opposition seem to have so much more of the ball because the ball just bounces off him and we lose possesion meaning constant pressure against us, so even though we score more goals, i'm pretty sure we will concede more goals too and i'm sure statistics could probably back that up. We have some lovely midfielders who keep the ball, Downing, Petrov, Milner, all retain possesion well and move the ball fairly well but then you come to Carew and it always seems to end.

He needs replacing by a goalscorer who also isn't useless if he isn't scoring and also a goalscorer who actually will score 15 league goals a season!!

I'd only sell Heskey, Carew can still play a very big part, even as an impact sub, a battering ram who's also got great skill and an eye for goal on his day. (Reason I would keep him is because i'm not sonfident MON could get TWO good strikers in one window)

Robbie keane deserves a joke thread of his own, he's to old and wasn't even prolific in the SPL in his short time there

id get rid of carew, yes he's a fans favourite but he is to inconsistant and consistancy is what we need.

Comparing O'Hara, Fletcher and Boyd to Arteta/Cahill is frankly laughable. Arteta played for Rangers and PSG, was always talented (Ask Ronaldinho who praises him), Cahill was a young guy at Millwall looking for a break and has gradually improved. I want Delfonz to replace Heskey, I think buying Fletcher will possibly hinder his development. We need to make one thing clear, we need one top class striker.

I'd only sell Heskey, Carew can still play a very big part, even as an impact sub, a battering ram who's also got great skill and an eye for goal on his day. (Reason I would keep him is because i'm not sonfident MON could get TWO good strikers in one window)

Agree with this, id like to see Carew coming off the bench if we signed a good enough striker to replace him, also, if the strike partnership between Gabby and whoever goes tits up, then we could turn back to JC.

Robbie keane deserves a joke thread of his own, he's to old and wasn't even prolific in the SPL in his short time there

id get rid of carew, yes he's a fans favourite but he is to inconsistant and consistancy is what we need.

I agree, 12 goals in 16 games is a terrible return for someone who cost them nothing but his wages.