Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Agree he's probably not quite ready yet, but he's worth keeping an eye on. I like that he bowels with real aggression. It's great to see. 

Definitely, has the potential to be a very very good player for England. More potential than Stokes in the all rounder slot too.

I watch quite a bit of Durham living up here, and as well as he played in Aus, I'm still a bit unsure about Stokes,

I don't think he's as good a batsman as Stokes or Woakes

As I often do, I agree with you Paul. I could see him as an understudy to Bresnan, and eventually displace him though. 

What do you all make of the return of Fred then? I'd love to see him turn back the years, but can't imagine he'll be half the same player he was. He's quite a bit trimmer that he was when he retired I suppose. Gonna be interesting either way. 

What do you all make of the return of Fred then? I'd love to see him turn back the years, but can't imagine he'll be half the same player he was. He's quite a bit trimmer that he was when he retired I suppose. Gonna be interesting either way.

Bit of a marketing gimmick?

Either way, he still has talent. He's not particularly old, but will his body hold up?

I can't wait to see him july 4th against Warwickshire in the t20 :)

I'm sure he will put bums on seats... If his bowling is half as good as it was then Lancashire will have some formidable bowling attack. Look at Junaid Khan's figures tonight against us. Warwickshire should play on the flattest of wickets for the return fixture. Lancs dont have a very good batting line-up, neither do we though!

Edited by PaulC

If Root and Ballance hadn't decided to **** around in the middle overs, we would have won that match.

20 overs without a boundary is pathetic.

On a brighter note, Buttler played an absolutely superb innings and Bopara played very well in a supporting role.

Malinga was also brilliant, especially in the last over when the pressure was on.

One of the main issues with England in limited overs games, is they always leave it too late. After Buttler got to his ton, I was confident they'd get over the line, but damn, Malinga is so good at the death. There's no one better in that situation.

• Like 1

One of the main issues with England in limited overs games, is they always leave it too late. After Buttler got to his ton, I was confident they'd get over the line, but damn, Malinga is so good at the death. There's no one better in that situation.

Exactly, it always happens with England in the middle overs. 20 overs without a boundary whilst chasing 301 is simply not good enough. 

Malinga has had a poor series up until this match but he showed everyone how good he was today, not better death bowler in the world.

To be fair we were out of that game but for an astonishing innings from Butler. Theres a few areas of concern with the England side. 1. We don't have wicket taking bowlers like Sri Lanka in the middle overs 2. We reallly haven't sorted out the batting. As much as I love Bell he's played a lot of one days games now and rarely produced a match winning innings. Cook's run of bad form continues. The jury is still out on Root and Ballance. A beautfull innings from Sangakarra. Might not be too many times we'll watch Kumar and Mahela play international cricket now. The best two Sri lankan batsmen of all time.

Says it all when our no.1 spinner can't even get in the Kent championship side,  We are really struggling for spinners. Swann was so good and there is just nobody else.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

Is it bad that I still think Malinga's action is cheating?

I know the whole straight arm thing is above board, but he still looks more like a pitcher than a bowler to me.

I've been saying that since the first time I saw him bowl. I'd love it if the umpire called "no ball", every time he bowled a delivery like he does.

Nah I think cricket would be boring if everybody bowled the same way. I'm all for different bowling styles. Bent arm bowlers and round arm bowlers...Why should everything be in teh batsmans favour? We had the thing from Broad commenting on Ajmals action when he took 13 wickets in a game for Worcester. Lets encourage diversity in the game....

Much better from Warwickshire today. Porterfield has made a very good start to the season and was impressed with little Ateeq who found the gaps and gave us much needed impetus at the end of our innings. We will have Malik for the next game which will give us plenty of bowling options. My guess is Webb will make way for him.

• Like 3

One shot Moeen hit for 6 off the back foot over md off was pure class. Both Borthwick and Moeen are competing for the spinning allrounder slot. With no decent spinner they may as well go that way. Not sure about Gidman. Watched his brother Alex more....Players don't get noticed at Gloucester much. Was Jack Russell the last player they had play for England in test cricket?

After mentioning the legality of Malinga's action I see the spinner has been reported by the umpire. Hope he's cleared myself. Its ashame if mystery spin goes out of the game

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

;)...

BpNNLaYCQAABB4t.jpg

Seam position on the ball is different.  :P

On another note, Edgbaston looks quite empty today and it's no surprise really. Had a look at tickets for the members section when they first came out and they were a rip off. Checked the cheaper seats the other side of the ground and they were also a momumental rip off.

Edited by Avfc96

On another note, Edgbaston looks quite empty today and it's no surprise really. Had a look at tickets for the members section when they first came out and they were a rip off. Checked the cheaper seats the other side of the ground and they were also a momumental rip off.

Yeah, I considered a drive down home to watch the match, but was put off by the price. I'll save my pennies for the test match at Hedingley, later in the month. 

Yeah, I considered a drive down home to watch the match, but was put off by the price. I'll save my pennies for the test match at Hedingley, later in the month. 

Don't blame you, the money I saved can be put towards a holiday in the summer. 

And Bell is out.

Â