Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

S3 back from the repair shop ...new motherboard

girl in the shop says quite a few with the same problem lately but yet its still not a problem for Samsung to recognize officially 

anyway glad to have it back great phone bar the freezing etc 

Zte blade goes back into the press still a decent phone (rooted ginger stirfry)

Was the phone just freezing, refusing to do anything (with small tasks, such as texting, typing, internet) and had to have a reboot?

Mine was doing that, I uninstalled Battery Widget Reborn, used an app called 'Dummy File Generator' and have had nothing since (fingers crossed).

Yup phone just stuck screen on sometimes ...random reboots etc ....they just got to the point where I was trying to find a hospital via google navigation the thing froze missed my turn off etc ..

I tried all the "fixes" but I need a phone that works had a warranty so sent it in ..

I dont believe its an isolated incident but samsung have moved on to the s4 and they have made the money from the s3 they would rather wait till you send it in or upgrade 

S3 back from the repair shop ...new motherboard

girl in the shop says quite a few with the same problem lately but yet its still not a problem for Samsung to recognize officially 

anyway glad to have it back great phone bar the freezing etc 

Zte blade goes back into the press still a decent phone (rooted ginger stirfry)

Was the phone just freezing, refusing to do anything (with small tasks, such as texting, typing, internet) and had to have a reboot?

Mine was doing that, I uninstalled Battery Widget Reborn, used an app called 'Dummy File Generator' and have had nothing since (fingers crossed).

Yup phone just stuck screen on sometimes ...random reboots etc ....they just got to the point where I was trying to find a hospital via google navigation the thing froze missed my turn off etc ..

I tried all the "fixes" but I need a phone that works had a warranty so sent it in ..

I dont believe its an isolated incident but samsung have moved on to the s4 and they have made the money from the s3 they would rather wait till you send it in or upgrade 

Yeah mine was exactly the same, was arguing big time with o2, especially considering they told me I had to pay a £25 deposit, use their crappy 15 year old phone in the mean-time and then wait 5-7 days for it to be sorted.

My average spend is £88 p/m (and since taking out the contract have spent £1,100) so if they think I am bowing down to them, they are wrong. I am going to walk unless they stop acting the way they do, considering my spend and loyalty.

How on earth have I nor Limpid ever had these S3 problems. I owned two different S3's in the past year and never had any problems with it. I did get. Mine unlocked so could it have something to do with the carrier subsidised ones?

Swiftkey update has fixed the bugs with my S4.

I ditched Swiftkey.

Seems to have done the trick on the typing lag. Except for Twitter. Twitter is always really slow, but I'm guessing that's to do with the app rather than the phone so I'm not worried about that.

I love my S3, but all these niggly little problems with it have put me off getting another Galaxy S in the future.

It's 9 months until I can upgrade, which I'm comfortable with. it's still a great phone.

But when the time comes I doubt the S5 (which I assume will be out by that time) will be top of my list for a replacement.

I ditched Swiftkey.

Seems to have done the trick on the typing lag. Except for Twitter. Twitter is always really slow, but I'm guessing that's to do with the app rather than the phone so I'm not worried about that.

I love my S3, but all these niggly little problems with it have put me off getting another Galaxy S in the future.

It's 9 months until I can upgrade, which I'm comfortable with. it's still a great phone.

But when the time comes I doubt the S5 (which I assume will be out by that time) will be top of my list for a replacement.

It's things like this that make me question my dislike for the iPhone. I NEVER get lag, it never freezes up on me. It's very reliable. 

Is this a Galaxy bloatware issue? It would piss me off royally. 

Due to apply for my upgrade on Thursday and have a dilema. I currently own a beat up I phone. I am debating between the S4 and the Sony Xperia Z. I mainly use my phone for texts, calls, internet browsing, games and music. Having a look online it appears the Sony comes out on top. Do any of my fellow VTers own either of these and what would you reccomend?

I am completely baffled by this talk of Lag. I haven't had any lag since gingerbread on the S2. My S3 worked flawlessly, never a hint of a problem. Most certainly not lag. 

Though I'm not a big app person. I have like 6 apps from Play store. Swiftkey, DoggCatcher, Twitter, FotMob, WhatsApp & AirDroid. 

It may be that large amounts of app installs can cause problems with the S3, I don't know. But I've never had those problems so it's got to be user dependant. 

To be honest I have not looked at the HTC. Is that good then? I just had the Sony in my head as the camera is decent and its waterproof (not that I need that but its a selling point I suppose) and the S4 as it has been on the TV quite a lot

I wouldn't ever recommend an Xperia Z over an S4, The latter is a better phone which will have far better software support going forward. I also can't see where on the internet any site has recommended a Z over an S4. TBH The Z isn't in the fight imo. The HTC One is the best android phone by majority of consensus. You should defo check that out. 

btw the S4 camera is utterly superb, I just came back from holiday in france and the images it snapped are out of this world good for a phone.

My suggestions is get the HTC One unless the camera is a big selling point in which case the S4 is the other option.

I ditched Swiftkey.

It's things like this that make me question my dislike for the iPhone. I NEVER get lag, it never freezes up on me. It's very reliable. 

Is this a Galaxy bloatware issue? It would piss me off royally. 

Yep, I've said in this thread before that you can say what you like about the iPhone, but as a piece of kit I never had a problem with all 3 of mine (3G plus my two 4's (one got replaced through insurance))

That's not enough for me to justify going back to an iPhone, because they're just not as good, imo, on the software side and ios isn't as good as android by a long shot.

But the phone itself worked flawlessly

Thanks for the advice CV. I shall have a look int the HTC. The camera is a fairly large part for me but the other is Music. As a bit of a technophobe I need something that is going to be fairly simple to put music on.

I am completely baffled by this talk of Lag. I haven't had any lag since gingerbread on the S2. My S3 worked flawlessly, never a hint of a problem. Most certainly not lag. 

Though I'm not a big app person. I have like 6 apps from Play store. Swiftkey, DoggCatcher, Twitter, FotMob, WhatsApp & AirDroid. 

It may be that large amounts of app installs can cause problems with the S3, I don't know. But I've never had those problems so it's got to be user dependant. 

I doubt it. I'm not a huge app user either.

I've got around 3 gb of apps, but I think about half of that is taken up by Google Maps and Youtube which are big ones, but ones I assume most people would have

Well they're both simple to get music onto. What I do is have a micro sd card with all my music on it. I just drag and drop it on. I then just pop it into my S4 and manage my music that way. Lots of people sync music (Stevo knows best about this) and all that. I just connect as removable storage and copy what I need on. The HTC One doesn't have a SD card slot, but both phones can be connected the same way to a computer to get music on, the S4 just has expandable storage with the sd slot. 

Quick run down of the pros of each.

The HTC One is a more premium feeling and looking phone it's quality is the equal of the iPhone 5, it has excellent speakers on the front of the phone and it has a camera that's very good in low light.

The S4 has a bigger screen but in a smaller chassis than the One. It's a plastic phone which puts some people off, but it has better battery life, has removable battery and a sd card slot. It also has the best smartphone camera yet in a phone. Also Samsung are the best at pushing out updates (bar nexus devices of course)

I can't see any reason to suggest a Z over either of the above two aside from it's waterproof. 

But at the end of the day, the differences between these phones is so slim these days that it's really personal preference as to which is best fit for each. The S4 and One both have got excellent reviews. You cant go wrong with either.

Edited by CVByrne

My S3 is no longer recognised by my computer when I plug it in via USB so I just use Air Droid to get it onto my phone.

Really easy to use and I sync all my music through there, just drag and drop. Only thing it's annoying for is playlists, haven't quite figured that out yet although I'm sure it's possible.

But I'm moving to Google Music just as soon as I finish uploading it all off my laptop (taking an age). That seems like it might be the best way going forward.

I did use to do what Conor did and have a micro sd card with all my music and films on. But then my phone wiped it (or thinks it wiped it)

I haven't updated my music library bar the odd live set in a couple of years anyway. I listen to lots of podcasts and live sets from soundcloud. I'll probably get Google Music All Access when it comes out in the UK and put an end to this music management lark. I always benefited from being a cover to cover album listener, never created playlists. 

I don't really watch video on my phone. When I'm travelling I use my Tab 7.7 for that, get video onto that using AirDroid 

Edited by CVByrne

Funny how some days I have a weird battery day too.

My battery life isn't great, as I've said before. Mainly I assume due to having hardly any signal all day so it's constantly looking for reception.

But today, with no more or less usage than usual, I'm down to 9% already (10 hours off charge)

I'd usually have at least 25 left at this stage. Strange.

My battery has been hit hard today too. I've worked out why though. The website flash score keeps updating even when I'm not looking at that tab. So I close the webpage after I checked the tennis score from now on. It was strange how much battery the Internet had taken.

Check yours Stevo. Something will be amiss

If you have Chrome on your phones I'd recommend clearing the cache and/or data on that reguarly. Mine gets into hundreds of megabytes which is a bit pointless for a phone browser.

Â