Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Also Snap n Go is by a distance the greatest app ever made. My mate has just demoed it for me. What you do when you want to copy something from your pc to your phone? You take a photo of the file and it is copied to your phone wirelessly. Seriously, I want to copy a movie from my netbook to my phone I open snap n go and take a photo of the file and hey presto it's on my phone. Say I want to copy a file from my phone to my pc you say? Well I browse my phone and pick the file then take a photo of on my pc of where I want to copy it to and it appears there. Amazing. It's so cool.

Then All Share, it lets you share everything that is on your pc, phone and tv (if it's a smart tv) so I can play files on my phone that are stored on my pc or play files on my pc or tv that are stored on my phone.

They're both Samsung apps though :P

Also vnc viewer is my next app I'm gonna try out. Remote control my pc at home from my phone anywhere over the internet. So I can get my pc desktop up on my phone from anywhere.

Anyway mykeyb, you'll need desktop visualiser to go mad making your home screens look great. You assign a picture to icons instead of using the icons that come with the app. My mate has his phone looking stunning. I'm gonna overhaul my phone today, I'm bored of how it looks.

I'm downloading beautiful widgets, it's a must for making your phone look good. Also mykey get Zeam launcher it's excellent. Best launcher I've used to date.

Nobody who buys a Desire has ever been disappointed. Going from an iphone 4, I'm glad you got the Desire. The galaxy s is tens and sixes, the desire is all eights.

I do understand that people who have owned a smartphone already will notice the lightness if the galaxy s and can say it is too light. I still hope samsung stick to the super light phone for the galaxy s2.

I don't see why the lightness is an issue to people? I love the fact that its so light. The iphone seems like carrying a brick around compared to it.

Galaxy S - 119 grams

Desire - 135 grams

iPhone 3gs - 135 grams

iPhone 4 - 137 grams

Desire HD - 164 grams

The difference in weight between a Galaxy S and an iPhone is hardly noticeable, no?

I'm genuinely shocked at those figures as the SGS does feel about half the weight of an iPhone 3GS / 4 to me.

It's not an affiliate link, it's a link from a flyer. The '|' symbol is not valid in an URL. I should fix the forum to substitute the correct % code.

Yeah, I'm certainly not trying to cash in here. I tried a few times to fix the link but couldn't figure it out :D

Nobody who buys a Desire has ever been disappointed. Going from an iphone 4, I'm glad you got the Desire. The galaxy s is tens and sixes, the desire is all eights.

I do understand that people who have owned a smartphone already will notice the lightness if the galaxy s and can say it is too light. I still hope samsung stick to the super light phone for the galaxy s2.

I don't see why the lightness is an issue to people? I love the fact that its so light. The iphone seems like carrying a brick around compared to it.

Galaxy S - 119 grams

Desire - 135 grams

iPhone 3gs - 135 grams

iPhone 4 - 137 grams

Desire HD - 164 grams

The difference in weight between a Galaxy S and an iPhone is hardly noticeable, no?

I'm genuinely shocked at those figures as the SGS does feel about half the weight of an iPhone 3GS / 4 to me.

My girlfriend has had my old 3gs and if you hold that and the sgs you can clearly feel the difference. Its also one of the first things my mate said and he's got the desire. 16 grams is clearly a lot in the phone market.

No point in me getting the Nexus S as it's too similar to the Galaxy S but it's such good news that they are so similar. I'd say Samsung would be daft not to release vanilla Gingerbread or at least leak the Nexus S rom to sammyfirmware. Consensus on XDA is that a port will be defo coming to Galaxy S given the hardware is identical bar the Near Field stuff.

Android is going to utterly dominate this market.

Hmm, I don't think there is any point in me getting a Nexus S. I would if it was better than the SGS in every way. But it isn't in many ways.

It has no external sd card, only 16gb internal. I've a 32gb card in my sgs packed full of tv shows and movies.

It's bigger and heavier than the galaxy s.

It has worse battery life, talk/standby 6/428 to 13/750 hours.

It has bluetooth 2.1 sgs has 3.0

It has no tv out like the sgs.

It has no Swype

It costs £550

I'm happy google had basically done all the work for samsung and optimized gingerbread for the hummingbird. I'm sure their opensourced drivers have been given to samsung which will speed up the gingerbread release for the Galaxy S. Also it seems getting a vanilla gingerbread rom ported from the Nexus S will be very easy.

Basically it's excellent news for people who have Galaxy S'.

Hmm, I don't think there is any point in me getting a Nexus S. I would if it was better than the SGS in every way. But it isn't in many ways.

It has no external sd card, only 16gb internal. I've a 32gb cats in my sgs packed full of tv shows and movies.

It's bigger and heavier than the galaxy s.

It has worse battery life, talk/standby 6/428 to 13/750 hours.

It has bluetooth 2.1 sgs has 3.0

It has no tv out like the sgs.

It haas no Swype

It costs £550

I'm happy google had basically done all the work for samsung and optimized gingerbread for the hummingbird. I'm sure their outsourced drivers have been given to samsung which will speed up the gingerbread release for the Galaxy S. Also it seems getting a vanilla gingerbread ron ported from the Nexus S will be very easy.

Basically it's excellent news for people who have Galaxy S'.

Yeah, there are some bits slightly odd. I'll get one because I just want a purely open handset and don't want to have to battle against whatever Samsung do with ROMs in future.

The lack of external SD is puzzling. Looks like Google still haven't fixed >1 SD card support in Gingerbread. Samsung hacked it in themselves.

Dimensions / weight - not too worried as long as it's not massively different. But the curved screen looks awesome so it will be slightly bigger due to that.

I'd question any difference whatsoever in the battery life as they both have almost identical hardware. Although the NFC chip will have to be powered continuously, but then there are a lot of Samsung own services that won't be running.

I'd prefer Bluetooth 2.1 rather than 3.0. 3 causes me problems with my car stereo and i get no benefits at all.

Don't use TV-out although I feel like I probably should.

Don't use swype anymore. The Samsung keyboard is awful, so I've installed the default Froyo keyboard (and now the Gingerbread version) which are delightful to use.

Price is surprising. It's a LOT more in the UK than it sells for in the US so I'll be waiting to see what happens with the price before I splash out. I can't see CPW being able to sell enough for that price so I'm sure it will come down.

Â