Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Despite this being only their second android phone? They will get their act together given the amount of handsets they are selling. Also the way they leak firmware to the community is great.

HTC have had ages to work on froyo as they have loads of android phones already in the market and no bugs to fix.

Samsung rushed the release of the galaxy s and are fixing software problems as well as updating to froyo. So we'll forgive them this and judge them on gingerbread.

They are not stupid, the galaxy s has been a phenomenal success and they will know they need to prove they are up to the task of delivering the software updates.

HTC already has years of experience, samsung will get that, they have dumped symbian and are going headfirst into android and windows.

Galaxy s, galaxy tab, galaxy europa.. Let them embrace the platform and get up to speed. HTC have had a big head start on the platform.

Plus none of this changes the fact the galaxy s has a superior cpu, gpu and especially screen. Things you'd think should be of far more importance.

If you go into a phone shop and puck up a handset you will notice the screen but also the feel of the handset and for many people if it feels cheap and plasticy it could turn people off. I am not sure many people would know or care about gpu and cpu. Did you know anything about the internals when you bought the X10?

I said in my post that the great thing about android is that people can pick the handset to suite them. The fact that the galaxy s is plastic does turn people off, two people posted that in this thread.

But aside from initial feel of the phone you get used to how it feels as dirk said. And people don't pick up their Desire every day and go hey that's a premium feel. While you see and use the screen every day.

It's also important to point out, especially with regards people owning their first smartphone, that the light weight is a big plus point. Personally I thought the X10 was too heavy and the lightness of the galaxy s was a big selling point to me.

What I'm trying to point out is that it isn't a failing of the phone, it's no more a failing than a hardware qwerty keyboard on a phone is. It's a conscious design decision. It may not be everybodys cup of tea but nobody loves everything about their phone.

As for the X10 of course I researched it, it had better camera and than the Desire, looked better than the Desire and had a bigger screen than the Desire. All selling points I took into account. I didn't know of course how bad the thing was behind in software, or how much of a big deal that was, it still runs 1.6.

You'd think waiting an extra month for 2.2 the galaxy s is bad, all that'll give me really is flash, 1.6 is like being in the stone age.

And did you check out the gpu and cpu.

I have never ever bought a top specced PC, Laptop or Netbook. I have bought the machine which will do what I need it to within my budget and would buy a phone in the same way. Last year I bought the 3G Iphone just before the 3GS came out as I didnt think the new model warranted the extra cash.

It will be an interesting choice when I look to change my current handset but I would be leaning towards an HTC handset if I was going to move to Android

Hell yeah I did.

I've built my last four desktop pc's, loaded with the latest graphics card and cpu each time. I'd buy super fast ddr ram, overclocking too. I used to love it. You'd do loads of benchmarks. I remember running demo 1 on quake 3 and see what fps I could get. The original geforce card was awesome.

I haven't had a desktop pc since my last one died early last year. I stopped playing games too so just got a netbook instead.

Anyway, I did maths and computers in college so was into the hardware in my pc's. So yes, benchmark scores alone matter to me, even if there was no real world performance boost. If I own a gadget it had to be bleeding edge tech. I'll upgrade my galaxy s when the next leap in mobile hardware comes and nVidia's tegra2 could be it.

The watershed of the smartphone has rekindled my love of technology that was lost somewhat with the decline of the desktop pc.

Despite this being only their second android phone?

Android phone maybe, but samsung mobiles in general are renown for their lack of updates

Yeah but selling 5 million phones that were priced at half a grand in a mere two months will make a company up it's game. I never even looked at samsung phones until this came along.

Anyway time will tell if they can or can't. The result of which will influence if those millions upgrade to galaxy s2 or not.

Hell yeah I did.

I've built my last four desktop pc's, loaded with the latest graphics card and cpu each time. I'd buy super fast ddr ram, overclocking too. I used to love it. You'd do loads of benchmarks. I remember running demo 1 on quake 3 and see what fps I could get. The original geforce card was awesome.

I haven't had a desktop pc since my last one died early last year. I stopped playing games too so just got a netbook instead.

Anyway, I did maths and computers in college so was into the hardware in my pc's. So yes, benchmark scores alone matter to me, even if there was no real world performance boost. If I own a gadget it had to be bleeding edge tech. I'll upgrade my galaxy s when the next leap in mobile hardware comes and nVidia's tegra2 could be it.

The watershed of the smartphone has rekindled my love of technology that was lost somewhat with the decline of the desktop pc.

I cant say any of that surprises me........

It was rather obvious that I actually know a bit about technology.

I have never ever bought a top specced PC, Laptop or Netbook. I have bought the machine which will do what I need it to within my budget and would buy a phone in the same way. Last year I bought the 3G Iphone just before the 3GS came out as I didnt think the new model warranted the extra cash.

Similarly, not a bit of that surpises me either...

Anyway time will tell if they can or can't. The result of which will influence if those millions upgrade to galaxy s2 or not.

The proportion of SGS users who care about how quickly Samsung releases updates is not that much larger than the proportion of overall smartphone buyers who care about the openness of Android relative to iPhone (in short: it's not a whole hell of a lot).

If large numbers of people cared about that shit, Ubuntu would be more popular than Windows.

Opera Mobile for Android to enter beta within a month

We are happy to confirm that Opera will release a beta version of Opera Mobile for Android phones within the next month. This was announced today at Up North Web. So far we are confirming at least one of the new features in Opera Mobile for Android will be the long awaited pinch to zoom support.

Opera also announced at Up North Web that Opera Mini for iPhone will receive an updated version this year featuring both pinch to zoom and hardware acceleration.

This is without a doubt the next generation of mobile browsing.

The proportion of SGS users who care about how quickly Samsung releases updates is not that much larger than the proportion of overall smartphone buyers who care about the openness of Android relative to iPhone (in short: it's not a whole hell of a lot).

If large numbers of people cared about that shit, Ubuntu would be more popular than Windows.

Ah but many people base their buying decisions on reviews. Reviewers will take software into account. Samsung's stated goal is to be the number 4 smartphone manufacturer by the end of the year. They are clearly the winners when it comes to hardware but must match current no4 htc in the software department. They have moved almost all their R&D department to work on android development. If they nail it they can start to target nokia, rim and apple next year.

Bottom line software matters. Even if it doesn't matter.

Can anyone suggest a decent (Free) keyboard? On my SF its got the Android keyboard which I like on my old HTC but for some reason the 'auto correct' and 'word suggestion' features have been stripped out. It also has Touchpal which I'm also not really getting on with.

It was rather obvious that I actually know a bit about technology.

Similarly, not a bit of that surpises me either...

and yet we both own an NC10 which is in no way a top specced Netbook is it.

I think Samsung will find it very very hard to catch HTC for one simple reason.

HTC make smartphones.

Samsung make smartphone, normal phones, netbooks, laptops, TVs etc.

HTC having worked with Google from the start probably understand the platform better than any other hardware manufacturer. I cant really see Samsung concentrating all the R & D on Android at the expense of all the other markets they are into. The rewards are just not that great.

NC10 was the best netbook when I bought it. It murdered the rest on battery life and had the biggest hard drive. All netbooks had the same core back then.

Anyway Samsung realize the importance of the smartphone market. That's why they made it their goal to get the number 4 spot. The company is a behemoth with the marketing power to do it. They have released a swathe of tech heavy smartphones this year.

The galaxy s was their first proper effort at an android phone. With the number of devices running that os now they will need to get the software side as good as the hardware.

Bottom line the company is big enough and had the resources to do it. Also it's not like we're stuck on 1.6 or anything, the device runs like a dream with zeam launcher. I'm just missing flash.

Basically, let them get up to speed and judge them then. Not now when they have been (essentialy) a mere 4 months in the android business.

Also they did dedicate a huge amount to r&d given the galaxy s, galaxy tab, galaxy europa all running android. It's their no1 growth business. They need to get the reputation of a leader in the area. Just look at their development of super amoled.

Â