Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Someone recommended Poweramp, I downloaded it and liked it better.

It's only because it's a bit slicker, looks nicer, and I love the artwork thing that i mentioned earlier.

I will at least be temporarily going back to the stock player, so i may end up sticking with it.

Do you uses the widget for the stock player and the controls in the notifications? The notification bar is accessible from the lock screen too. Speaking of the lock screen those app shortcuts there are customisable.

Also it looks like S3 will be updated to 4.1 in 2 weeks time. The rush to get the note2 to be released with it has helped it's brother the S3.

If this happens I'll doff my cap to Samsung. 6 weeks after the nexus gets it is pretty impressive work. Especially given Sammy will get early access to future builds of Android.

Suppose when they've trampled all other android manufacturers into the ground they are possibly focusing on keeping the customers they've got now by being the best at updating headline phones.

It's still a big IF at this stage though.

I do use the widgets, but found the Poweramp widget to be better.

I think the Stock Player's been updated though if I'm not mistaken, so might be a lot better now. This holiday will tell me either way.

That will be impressive turnaround for OS upgrade from Samsung.

My 10.1 Tab received the update to 4.04 last night, nearly 7 months on from my Transformer Tablet receiving it. Way to go Samsung, piss poor support by anyones standards.

Rumours that the S2 and original Note will only get a "Value Pack" upgrade seems to be getting mentioned again which if it happens will be a commercial decision alone, because there is no reason at all why the S2 or Note can not run Jellybean.

The anti Microsoft brigade. Look the devices are not going to be widely available. They are trying to not piss off the OEMs too much by pushing the surface hard and getting it in as many stores as possible.

Also I think windows tablets and hybrids will sell very well. Windows is about 100 times better than iOS or Android on a large device. x86 ones will sell the best imv.

But they will sell. Well.

So they will not be widely available but will sell well..........

If they do come out at that price point I think Microsoft will struggle to keep up with demand. They are going to be selling them at less than manufacturing cost and try to make up the loss through their App Store sales.

OEMs will not be able to compete, mind you what else can they do. They cannot produce Ipads, Android is already a bit of a killing field and desk tops arent selling either.

Yes at this stage this is just big speculation. But it's hardly info that is going to be kept secret like a new device etc.. So the only rumours of the testing being completed successfully is more believable than a device rumour.

I think the S2 and original note will be updated too as they continue to sell very well as was mentioned in a few pod casts I've listened too. Giving them 4.1 will help continue sales and importantly please users who have 2 year contracts. They may happily get a S4 next year if Samsung pleases them.

As for their other products it's just not in their interest to put devs on devices that had average or poor sales. Including the Galaxy Tab. But they will probably be better support for their new tablets as they focus on just a few devices rather than the mass of devices that came out last year.

I think Samsung will try to have their headline devices get the best support going forward as their sales in a few devices are making up the majority of their income.

Also the S3 will be easier to update than the S2 as the new touchwiz is very scaled back compared to the last one. That has to help develop time.

The anti Microsoft brigade. Look the devices are not going to be widely available. They are trying to not piss off the OEMs too much by pushing the surface hard and getting it in as many stores as possible.

Also I think windows tablets and hybrids will sell very well. Windows is about 100 times better than iOS or Android on a large device. x86 ones will sell the best imv.

But they will sell. Well.

So they will not be widely available but will sell well..........

If they do come out at that price point I think Microsoft will struggle to keep up with demand. They are going to be selling them at less than manufacturing cost and try to make up the loss through their App Store sales.

OEMs will not be able to compete, mind you what else can they do. They cannot produce Ipads, Android is already a bit of a killing field and desk tops arent selling either.

Read my post properly Mykey I said Windows tablets will sell well, not Surface. I'm sure the Surface will sell out too, with maybe a couple of million units being built. It's whether Microsoft are happy with OEMs devices if they will ramp up the surface availability and production.

It won't be sold for 199, that is a bullshit rumour imo. The device is 10.6 inches and high quality materials used to build it. It'll be at best 399. It's not a kindle Fir and nexus e competitor

Oh my god a non existent tablet manufacturer is not making a RT tablet!

They are right to focus their new devices on full windows 8 given how competitive the market is. They know only 3 people have bought any of their Android tablets.

Conor why are you taking this as me attacking Microsoft. I dont have a problem with what they are doing. In the short term its great for the consumer, great new tech at a bargain price.

I just wonder what are all these tech giants going to make in the future.

I'm not, then I'm just messing about. Toshiba not making an RT tablet is not important to anyone, so was joking about them.

As for surface, it's more Darren and limpid who hate Microsoft as they are software people. They fail to see how windows tablet will be vastly superior for users than iOS or Android. The Pro tablet I mean, not RT.

But the keyboard cover for all the surface tablets is what is exciting. It's made for people to use the keyboard. Not an add on like iOS and android. Where both have struggled with making a keyboard experience that is good for their adapted phone OS.

Yes but it's nothing to do with they keyboard. It's to do with the experience. iOS and android are touchscreen OS and the keyboard and any keyboard interface is the an afterthought. It's tacked on and as such the experience is poor. Even now every review of an iPad keyboard is asking if this can be the one that makes the need for a full computer obsolete.

Obviously apple want you to own a mac and ipad and an iphone version so they are happy the keyboard experience is poor. But Microsoft don't make laptops or PCs so they are making an os than is made to work both with a keyboard and without one. Which is a huge advantage.

But nobody has used it as a touchscreen yet, and those who have been in the Windows 8 beta are offering mixed reviews about how good it is compared to W7.

That is true, but you'd hope the touch screen is decent. At this stage you'd expect Microsoft to have enough experience after WP7 to make the touchscreen experience good. Then the keyboard experience is there to cement a dual purpose device.

If it works they've made a device that should be superior to iOS and android tablets.

OK here is a quick question. Samsung have released the pricing for the 10.1 Note which is the Wi-Fi model for £399, and the 3G model for £479. The comment that followed was that it was too close in price to an Ipad to succeed (which may be true).

I know some people just wont buy tablet pcs but for those that do would you spend your £400 on an Ipad or a Tablet PC running an alternative OS (not necessarily Android)

Â