Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Glad you like to criticise something you've never used. I had forgotten that you were on an S2 and had no experience with the vastly superior version of touchwiz on the S3. Samsung pushed the software side of the S3 in the launch because that's where they have done huge amounts of work.

I at least am using both vanilla jelly bean and latest touchwiz so can do comparisons. Not as good a comparison as a Galaxy Nexus instead of Nexus 7. But still, I've a frame of reference.

My S2 is doing my head in. I have a problem when recieving long text messages (the first half of the text will be normal, but then it will cut off the rest and the second half of the text will be from an old text that I've received :S), it keeps overheating and occasionally the screen goes black and I have to take the battery out to get it working again.

GRRR

Install another text app and see if it's okay with that. Go SMS or Handcent are good choices. It might just be a corruption in the message store, but it might need a factory reset if that's the case.

I backed up all my details over the weekend, did a factory reset and then loaded my contacts/etc back onto the phone.

So far, the texting has actually been okay, but my phone still overheats quite a bit and, a few times in the past few days, it has just frozen completely.

I might give Samsung/O2 a call if it persists.

How would I go about checking if there is an update for my S3 please people?

Into Settings > About Phone > Software Updates. Samsung may have renamed each section slightly and I think you have to sign up to a Samsung service for it, then the option to do an update OTA should be there.

Otherwise, install Kies and plug your phone in your computer.

Keep up Conor ;)

It's a design patent they have. They should never have been given it in the first place, the same as most of their other patents for stuff that is obvious to anyone.

They're obviously paying off this judge Lucy Koh as she's being shown up as being incredibly biased towards Apple from any objective position.

But Nokia had rounded edges and a bezel on their phones from the 90s. Such baffling nonsense.

The ipad is just one big touchscreen. There have been oodles of touch screen tablet attempts before the ipad.

Only in America would apple have any chance of winning a trial like this. But even if the do win, the settlement will be small and Samsung will probably just have to change the way their old out of date tablets and phones look.

So what's the point? It was filed ages ago and the tech world has moved on. Apple is using other people's tech to build iphones and ipads yet they go and sue others for making devices that look similar to theirs.

Such a daft case.

rrdpN.png

Google Now is awesome, isn't it? Got the train in to work today so its displaying train times rather than traffic updates.

It can't be long before there are a ton of copycat apps, its such a handy feature and no phone should be without it.

Glad you like to criticise something you've never used. I had forgotten that you were on an S2 and had no experience with the vastly superior version of touchwiz on the S3. Samsung pushed the software side of the S3 in the launch because that's where they have done huge amounts of work.

I at least am using both vanilla jelly bean and latest touchwiz so can do comparisons. Not as good a comparison as a Galaxy Nexus instead of Nexus 7. But still, I've a frame of reference.

Another brilliant assumption.

I have the Galaxy Nexus as my personal phone but also have the S3 Peeble Blue for work at this point in time. So thats your first point blown out the water.

From a hardware point of view the S3 is a brilliant phone, I dont believe I have ever intimated that it isnt. Software again has some great tweaks in Touchwiz which I always prefer to HTC Sense. I dont however use a lot of the added features where obviously you do. This is the great thing about Android, you can pretty much tailor the handset to your exact requirements.

You happy with the S3 I prefer the Nexus its personal choice.

I see that the bastardised version of Samsung Jellybean should with S3 owners pretty soon which is the way it should be however I note that its rumoured that S2 might only get an "Value Pack" upgrade which would be a decision made purely to force people to upgrade their S2 Handset. If this is true its an awful way to treat their customers as there is nothing in pure jellybean that wouldnt be able to run on the S2.

Just read a bit on Techradar concerning the Apple v Samsung trial and I cannot believe that the guy giving evidence actually said this with a straight face.

Standout Apple patent features, Bressler said, include the iPad's flat face, rounded corners and black border under the tablet's front glass panel as well as the original iPhone's rounded corners and distinct bezel.

So if it has a flat face and rounded corners its copying Apple. Is there any other way to design a tablet PC

US patent law is ****. Apparently US software patent law is worse as you can get extremely ambiguous patents which cover everything.

At this stage mykeyb we should rap this up. We like different things in our devices.

I upgrade my phones regularly so versions of android don't matter to me, did I really care that my S2 got 4.0 that much when I was getting an S3 a few months later? No. I have next to zero excitement for any android release since 2.3 they bring nothing to the experience that is anything other than nice to have.

I like the cutting edge next gen hardware the most. So for that fact alone my S3 wipes the floor with Galaxy Nexus. What once was a trade off in a laggy skin in touchwiz now is a very polished enhancement to Samsung hardware. I get excited buying a new S phone, I don't get excited about a 0.1 software update on an old tech phone.

As I've said before, if they nexus phones lead the curve rather than followed then things would be different. Hardware matters the most, software at this stage, doesn't.

That's really it. Interesting to see the nexus that follows the iphone 5 though.

Just read a bit on Techradar concerning the Apple v Samsung trial and I cannot believe that the guy giving evidence actually said this with a straight face.

Standout Apple patent features, Bressler said, include the iPad's flat face, rounded corners and black border under the tablet's front glass panel as well as the original iPhone's rounded corners and distinct bezel.

So if it has a flat face and rounded corners its copying Apple. Is there any other way to design a tablet PC

Exactly what I was saying. My HP monitor in front of me has rounded corners and a black bezel. Get rid of the stand and the ipad copied the design.

Bonkers stuff. Hopefully the case can result in apples patents being invalidated. Focus on making devices ffs, stop the litigation to defend rounded corners.

I have managed to get Aston Villa into Google Now but assume that it wont pop up with any info until the season kicks off.

On a slightly related note is there any way to change the graphic at the top of some mountain tops for something more pleasing.

No, Samsungs tablets aren't as good as Asus ones. Though I'd take the Super Amoled plus 7.7 in exchange for the Nexus 7 simply for the screen. I mostly use the nexus for video and S Amoled plus is a joy for video.

But the 7.7 is twice the price of the Nexus 7

Â