Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I'd go eBay for a car holder. You can get adjustable ones for any phone and they are great, the one I use housed a HTC Hero and a Nexus S despite them being completely different sizes, and it rotates between portrait and landscape. It clips into the heating vents, so I lose a vent while I have my phone mounted but that is a trivial issue as far as I am concerned. It came with a charger which plugs into the lighter socket too, I think I paid about a fiver for it including P&P.

Rooting isn't important unless you want to do something which requires root, which isn't actually much. The SGS1 is great as it has an unlocked bootloader so you can use 3rd party recoveries (really, really useful).

Personally I'd go with the latest Samsung derived ROM from XDA, flash it using Odin or Heimdall, neither of which require root, and then just flash a custom kernel which will give you root anyway. The custom kernel will have all kinds of tweaks and fixes and make the phone a lot nicer to use. If I may suggest XXJVS seems to be the latest firmware, based on 2.3.5, then use this kernel which you can just flash using Odin after flashing the firmware.

Otherwise install ClockworkMod and give custom ROMs a try. The kernel is the bit that makes the most difference to performance, the PDA code tweaks Touchwiz and Android look and feel, and the modem code is for how the phone picks up and uses signal, which is generally fine anyway after the initial release.

As for holders, I've always used Brodit ProClips for my phones. Buy the right bit for your car then the right bit for your phone and then you only have to change the phone bit when you get a new phone. Not the cheapest but work brilliantly

Ok wtf! Two movies have vanished from my phone. They were in the downloads folder and have now vanished completely. Does the phone delete items from that folder when I run out of space as all I've done since is record some hd video.

I found them in lost.dir using the ever excellent ES file explorer.

So is there anyway I can restore them to .avi files so I can move them to my tablet for viewing or am I stuck opening them with the media player on my phone via ES?

Anyone had this issue, I got my new handset (Samsung Galaxy S) on vodafone network, why I try to connect to the net from my desk at work I have the 'H' symbol and full signal but often times out when loading pages, fb especially doesn't work. Not sure what to do...? I can see the little upload and download arrows lighting up. The settings came directly from the network as a config message. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Something interesting is going on in the Android Market this morning. A bunch of our favorite apps are suddenly going for a dime, with no real rhyme or reason for the discount. @dirkyd3rlc and @Pat_Huey on Twitter alerted us to Swiftkey and Minecraft on sale for 10 cents, and we've found others. Here's the list as it stands.

Great Little War Game

SketchBook Mobile

Paper Camera

Sound Hound

Asphalt 6

Fieldrunners HD

Swiftkey

Minecraft

Link

Â