Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Are we to conclude that Neville's intentions are entirely honorable, ie not about the investment?

I have no idea, but like you said its fairly obvious that they are all in it for the MONEY. I just hope that all the bidders plans are fully scrutinised to ensure that none pose a risk to the long term future of AVFC. Problem is we have to trust a certain someone to ensure this and I will not hold my breath.

I though we were trusting Rothschilds to make the best long term decision for the shareholders........... Doug's a fecking idiot.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was GT's quote, not Neville's.

Aye I know. My post was badly put.

I was trying to say that the motives are basically the same - they would (if we take them charitably) want to make a success out of the club, and make money, too. So why are the motives different?

MN doesn't have much money, Lerner has shed loads.

Lerner owns a US sporting club, Neville has no experience at all of owning a professional club.

Lerner's said nothing, Neville's said plenty, but done what exactly?

Oh and another thing

quoting from the times article Neville believes that raising his offer is valid because Villa have the makings of a top-six side but, more importantly, some of the extra money spent could be recouped from the development of land around Villa Park.

So Neville will pay more because the club has some land that could be developed which he'd then use to get his money back, taking it OUT of the club. Not promising at all.

Wasn't the land there last week, anyway?

Like I said, blundering numpty at best.

It was GT's quote, not Neville's.

Aye I know. My post was badly put.

I was trying to say that the motives are basically the same - they would (if we take them charitably) want to make a success out of the club, and make money, too. So why are the motives different?

MN doesn't have much money, Lerner has shed loads.

Lerner owns a US sporting club, Neville has no experience at all of owning a professional club.

Lerner's said nothing, Neville's said plenty, but done what exactly?

If Neville has anything to do with this I'd be worried. Tubthumping nationalism isn't the best criterion for making a decision. Ask the FA what they think in four years time.

Are we to conclude that Neville's intentions are entirely honorable, ie not about the investment?

I have no idea, but like you said its fairly obvious that they are all in it for the MONEY. I just hope that all the bidders plans are fully scrutinised to ensure that none pose a risk to the long term future of AVFC. Problem is we have to trust a certain someone to ensure this and I will not hold my breath.

I though we were trusting Rothschilds to make the best long term decision for the shareholders........... Doug's a fecking idiot.

Thats what I thought - and while he isn't the main decision maker, I would also hope Petchey would be very aware of this as well before making any decision to sell his shares?

Is it just me or does Neville sound like the kid who is scraping up all of his money to purchase his first car without thinking of the upkeep costs, gasoline, insurance and such. He clearly is having trouble coming up with the original 64mil so how is he gonna top it. Will the Rothchilds really believe that his bid is the best. He'll run this team into financial ruin. If he is trying to scare off Randy I think he's gonna have to try harder than that.

Is it just me or does Neville sound like the kid who is scraping up all of his money to purchase his first car without thinking of the upkeep costs, gasoline, insurance and such. He clearly is having trouble coming up with the original 64mil so how is he gonna top it. Will the Rothchilds really believe that his bid is the best. He'll run this team into financial ruin. If he is trying to scare off Randy I think he's gonna have to try harder than that.

Those are my suspicions exactly. For the record, as an American, I am not siding with Lerner because he's American too. If he was any other nationality, with the same clout and ownership record, he'd still top my list. There, now I feel better. :D

Those are my suspicions exactly. For the record, as an American, I am not siding with Lerner because he's American too. If he was any other nationality, with the same clout and ownership record, he'd still top my list. There, now I feel better. :D

I'm the same way. The fact that Lerner is American has nothing to do with my support of his bid, other than to the extent it suggests he doesn't know much about football. It's the perfect scenario: an extremely rich owner who doesn't know much about the sport and knows he doesn't, thus requiring him to turn management of the club over to those who do while providing them the resources they need.

Based on what I've seen and heard from him, I tend to think Neville would be an even bigger disaster than Ellis .

but that has been a smoke-screen instigated by the consortium as it does not like doing its business in the media.

Consortium eh?

Quite strong rumours on the mailing list, unsubstantiated at this time, that lerner is borrowing the money to fund this, rather than use his own money

This might be backed up slightly by the report linking him with Everton (I dont have a link at this time) that said he was backed by, IIRC The fortress Group - presumably this company

Fortress group

I dont quite know why this would be, or if there is any truth or substance to this, but i felt it was worthy of mentioning as I think there has been a gneeral assumption that he would fund this himself.

[edit]

interestingly, from that site

The Drawbridge Special Opportunities business was launched in 2002. Its investment objective is to generate superior risk-adjusted returns by opportunistically acquiring and originating a diversified portfolio of undervalued, orphaned and distressed investments throughout the United States, Western Europe and Japan.

This investment objective is implemented across a three-pronged investment program that includes asset-based transactions, loan originations and corporate securities. Investment targets include:

Out-of-favor sectors where the Drawbridge Special Opportunities team can acquire investments at a significant discount to the fundamental value of their underlying cash flows or assets;

Companies undergoing, or considered likely to undergo, reorganizations under US or non-US bankruptcy laws;

Companies initiating debt restructuring, reorganization and/or liquidation outside of bankruptcy;

Companies facing a broad range of liquidity issues;

Opportunistic lending; and

Busted ABS opportunities.

The Special Opportunities team has substantial experience in identifying undervalued situations across a broad range of asset categories and markets, and has developed proprietary sourcing channels across these categories and markets. The team focuses on transactions and industry sectors in which it can effectively leverage the team's strengths and experience.

Not quite sure what to make of this, but it sounds a bit sinister. We'll have to wait and see. May the best consortium win.

Nothing sinister mate, finding undervalued assets is what business is all about. Every single one of the folks investing in Villa will recognize that we are undervalued as a club.

http://tinyurl.com/hvre4

Article from the Times, regarding the takeover.

a good compilation of all the rumours on here with some interesting interpretations (Isn't it the Telegraph though :) ):

-'five bidders include a Middle Eastern businessman ' - who is this other bidder Malcolm also has mentioned?

'The Neville consortium have different backgrounds and interests. His backers include some members of hedge funds, individuals similar to those who provided £267 million to help the Glazer family buy Manchester United.' Hmmm, doesn't sound promising, does it?

-'They were attracted by the land around Villa Park, which is used for car parking on match days but could be sold for redevelopment. Since then a parcel of the land has been sold for £7 million, and a dispute lingers as to what it is now worth' - Dispute? What dispute?

-'He told Ellis that, while he was keen to buy Villa, he had not decided how he would run the club from the United States. Ellis joked that if Lerner wanted someone to run Villa after he had bought it, Ellis would be happy to help him and maybe Lerner could work for him.' The Ellis comment to Lerner was a mis-understood joke?

-'Petchey is prepared to sell but one of the consortium approached him with a proposal to lend them the money to buy Ellis out' - Hmmm, which one could that possibly be?..Neville?

Someone needs to be making notes to write the book afterwards - might even make it to the big screen!

Anyone know how reliable this journo Mihir Bose is?

-'He told Ellis that, while he was keen to buy Villa, he had not decided how he would run the club from the United States. Ellis joked that if Lerner wanted someone to run Villa after he had bought it, Ellis would be happy to help him and maybe Lerner could work for him.' The Ellis comment to Lerner was a mis-understood joke?

seems to be almost an apology eh ???

Quite strong rumours on the mailing list, unsubstantiated at this time, that lerner is borrowing the money to fund this, rather than use his own money

Certainly unsubstantiated at this time. "Quite strong" - your opinion? 8)

Is this such a shock?

Surely it is fairly normal practice for a businessman to borrow to expand his portfolio?

The crucial points are that no one borrows money if they do not believe that they can make a success of their investment, and it does help if you have the necessary credit line in the first place.

Lets be honest guys - NOBODY on here knows anything concrete. Wide ranging speculation only raises false hopes for many, only to see supposed dates for bids come and go without anything being officially announced. Even now MON is aboard, this baord has determind this to mean DD will be out before the transfer deadline date and the club will be spending shed loads on world class player. Face facts - its isnt going to happen this year.