Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

As Blandy has said and others confirmed, it may have been a smokescreen, but he originally not only walked away in disgust he also passed on a few choice words to Ellis which included a demand for an apology from Rothschilds.

If he really is back in contention, and I've yet to see solid proof he is, then its only because of Rothschilds efforts.

According to Pat Murphy yes.

But..... and like I said even in this mornings post...... we don't really know.

While there is no doubt Pat Murphy is a good reporter, and so far, I haven't seen him get much wrong with the reporting on the takeover and O'Neill - we don't have an actual comment from anyone to confirm this.

Throughout - I have always taken reports with a small or sometimes large pinch of salt. That includes this mornings comments. Ultimately I am also taking it with a pinch of salt, but it doesn't stop me from thinking it makes more sense than the initial events we heard about.

Unless someone has actually come out and given a statement (like Padfield did) then no one can be absolutely sure.

And even when a statement does come out - its down to how someone might read it.

A prime example is the Padfield interview of 5 live.

In that, Padfield talks about a meeting on Tuesday.

At no point does he mentioned who the meeting is with.

Suddenly, some fans had decided the meeting was with Ellis.

But that was only their interpretation of it.

The silence for me now is far more important than any reports or comments - because it doesn't allow for speculation or interpretation that for all we know could be way off base.

Having said all that - it has been great fun on this board going through all the different comments and discussions about it all.

Sometimes you can't beat a bit of gossip.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to be fair, Bill Howell said on Sky Sports News that he was meeting Ellis yesterday.

I'm getting very bored with this now, as I said in the Dutch thread

I wonder if MON is regretting taking the job this morning? But seriously if the current board, and potential buyers have any interest in the club, rather than their personal fortunes, a takeover has to happen as a matter of the upmost urgency, and significant funds released to the manager, so that he can strengthen the threadbare, and mediocre squad. Hurry up and sort the deal out chaps, or this is going to be a very difficult four months in the Premiership!!!

This IMO, is what the interested parties need to consider, and very quickly!

Well, to be fair, Bill Howell said on Sky Sports News that he was meeting Ellis yesterday.

Yes true - but who's to say Howell didn't also interpret what Padfield said as meaning it was a meeting with Ellis like some fans did?

I could even argue, thats where Howells got the idea from.

This is what I am trying to get across - unless we have a definite comment from any of the interested parties - and for me that means, AVFC, Rothschilds, any of the people involved with the bids or their known representatives - then we can never be absolutely sure that information like this isn't the interpretation of the person writing it.

I'm getting very bored with this now, as I said in the Dutch thread

I wonder if MON is regretting taking the job this morning? But seriously if the current board, and potential buyers have any interest in the club, rather than their personal fortunes, a takeover has to happen as a matter of the upmost urgency, and significant funds released to the manager, so that he can strengthen the threadbare, and mediocre squad. Hurry up and sort the deal out chaps, or this is going to be a very difficult four months in the Premiership!!!

This IMO, is what the interested parties need to consider, and very quickly!

I think most of us, including no doubt MON all recognised that the timing on this was pretty poor.

But, it might have been worse - we might have gone into the season without a manager - again, we can't know what is going on behind the scenes, and it might be they did accelerate aspects of this to get funding in places for MON to be given the managers position before the start of the season and close of the transfer window.

We know some money has been made available - the trouble is we don't know how much...... Unlike Ellis who usually says he has a certain amount - and unfortunately our biggest task is likely to be finding anyone who is on the transfer market who is good enough for MON and AVFC - although there are some out there still - Petrov being top of the list.

I suspect there is already frantic wheeling and dealing going on and while it is frustrating, unfortunately that is the nature of the beast for now.

One advantage - MON watched a lot of football throughout the world cup for the BBC - he might have spotted someone we wouldn't even consider.

but he originally not only walked away in disgust he also passed on a few choice words to Ellis which included a demand for an apology from Rothschilds.

There are three possibilities here as I indicated on the other thread

1) This didnt quite happen in this way, even though Lerner's people have, for want of a better word, allowed people to believe that they did. Lerner's management of fan opinion has been since Day one top class

2) Lerner went in knowing that if he pushed the right buttons he could get Doug to react in certain ways which would put him in control of the negotiations. He pretended to leave in a huff, but really was smiling inside

3) He got so hacked off that he left in a huff, as was portrayed, but later changed his mind for some unknown reason

whatever really happened, it is beyond question that if you did a poll asking which bid people wanted to win they would say "lerner" with a staggering majority at a guess, despite knowing nothing about his bid.

Such things in my experience do not happen by accident

They do not.

We have been severly lacking any decent PR management at this club for a while. I think that is about to change

They do not.

We have been severly lacking any decent PR management at this club for a while. I think that is about to change

PR and Marketing I reckon.

Both about to change beyond recognition I think.

Lerner's management of fan opinion has been since Day one top class

...it is beyond question that if you did a poll asking which bid people wanted to win they would say "lerner" with a staggering majority at a guess, despite knowing nothing about his bid.

I don't think either Lerner, or any of his people have publicly said a dicky bird have they? There's not even been any "sources close to.." type stuff reported, really.

Other than Sky and BBC reporting him being sighted at VP a couple of weeks ago, and the observation of his mood when he left, there's been nothing.

Essentially, what has happened is that since the club leaked that he was possibly interested, various people have commented on him based on

1. He's done well in the USA with the Browns

2. He's very rich

3. He was cross 2 weeks ago when he left VP

There hasn't been any management of fan opinion by Lerner, unless you count complete silence. Or am i missing something, Pete?

Happily the others have also now shut up (apart from Athol Still who has also had the dignity to remain quiet throughout).

There's been a media circus, lose talk and speculation, but for me silence is golden.

When or if anyone bids, then is the time to talk publicly, but briefly, perhaps.

I just have a feeling that there are some more twists and turns to come in this saga yet. I feel, that by the total silence from his camp, the Still bid might just be winning. Whilst I think I prefer Randy (without any real knowledge of his bid) I think I would have the Still one as second choice but I don't really mind who takes us over - as long as they have loadsamoney and spend it on players, marketing, facilities and getting us back to the top again - just as long as someone does!

The BBC seemed to think Lerner was making a formal bid today . . . but it is really quiet at the moment.

Finger crossed something happens this week.

Only Randy will know when he is going to bid.

I don't think either Lerner, or any of his people have publicly said a dicky bird have they? There's not even been any "sources close to.." type stuff reported, really.

Publically is the key word here IMO

There hasn't been any management of fan opinion by Lerner, unless you count complete silence. Or am i missing something, Pete?

Maybe then the fans who make the claims about what Ellis said to Lerner and vice versa are making it up? Interestingly these are the same fans who knew the bid was coming in advance of it being in the media. The same fans who have "allowed" the rumours of transfer budgets to be made general "knowledge"

I mean, for example, you said that it was unequivically false what Bill howell said about the meeting between Ellis and Lerner. How do you know it was false? (I dont want an answer, just making the point, my guess is that you know its false for the same reason i do)

Now I know that possibly these people wont like to think they have had their opinion "managed", but sometimes thats life, there's nothing sinister in it just a guy going about his business is a very professional way.

Now I know that possibly these people wont like to think they have had their opinion "managed", but sometimes thats life, there's nothing sinister in it just a guy going about his business is a very professional way.

Managing people's opinions? Surely not.