Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

I agree with Pete that all parties want this ideally settled before the end of the tour, ideally before the weekend. IT gives the cluba massive boost and especially the players who will see MON turn up for the tour, who knwos with a palyer or 2 in tow.

And it also gives time for the season ticcket sales to get a much needed boost cos, lets face it they need it!

Tomorrow would be a perfect time to announce new manager and owners IMO. AFter this week and it totally f**Ks up pre-season both on/off field from the team sense but also commercially and that includes ticket/season ticket sales.

Whilst I like the above scenario the only problem is that if Ellis is definately selling he no longer gives a **** about season ticket sales or whether a new manager is in place or how well the team are prepared for the new season.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On SSNjust now they showed the back page of the Sun and down on the bottom right the headline was 'RANDY ON VILLA BRINK'. they didn'y read the article though. so god knows what it means

Yeah i saw that, but Sky decided to ignore it, so we don't know what it meant.

Christ it could mean either way!!

On SSNjust now they showed the back page of the Sun and down on the bottom right the headline was 'RANDY ON VILLA BRINK'. they didn'y read the article though. so god knows what it means

Yeah i saw that, but Sky decided to ignore it, so we don't know what it meant.

Christ it could mean either way!!

Give it another hour and you'll be able to see it online on the sun site.

HERE IT IS:-

RANDY LERNER is on the brink of a £64million bid for Aston Villa.

The American billionaire’s advisers are back in talks with chairman Doug Ellis and Lerner will beef up his bid if he likes what he hears.

Lerner, 44, has been interested in buying Villa for some time but stepped back last week as three other consortiums broke their cover.

The owner of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns was also sidetracked by the annual migration of his gridiron squad to their pre-season training camp.

But Lerner, who made an £800million fortune through the sale of family business MBNA, still wants the Premiership club.

The fact Villa have offered their manager’s job to Martin O’Neill has also helped.

O’Neill was first choice to replace David O’Leary for both Lerner and rival bidder Michael Neville.

The former Celtic and Leicester boss has promised Ellis a decision by the weekend and, if he says yes, will join Villa on their pre-season tour of Germany and Holland.

That leaves octogenarian Ellis free to concentrate on a sell-off before the start of the season.

Lerner leads the race but faces stiff competition from Neville and a group led by judge Nicholas Padfield, who revealed last night they might join forces.

Padfield said: “We have been approached by representatives from other consortia. One is a representative of Mr Neville.

“We are considering opening discussions with them. Nothing is going to happen until I return from holiday at the end of the week.

“One crucial issue is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire shareholding.

“The other critical issue is what the position is as regards the team manager — has one been appointed, is one going to be appointed, the nature of his contract etc.

“This will impact on the amount of finance available to buy new players.

“I have had no discussions with Mr Ellis and all of us find it surprising no one from the club has bothered to tell us what the position is.

“I don’t anticipate we will be in a great rush to make a bid simply because we don’t have all the relevant information on which to base it.”

The other consortium interested in buying Villa is led by Sven Goran Eriksson’s adviser Athole Still

Doesn't tell us much to be honest. Something to fill the newspaper? Why didn't they just put a headline about AVO6 and Neville though? Why say Lerner is on the brink? Hmmmm. A rubbish paper to be fair though.

... here it is

Randy on Villa brink

By JANINE SELF

The American billionaire’s advisers are back in talks with chairman Doug Ellis and Lerner will beef up his bid if he likes what he hears.

Lerner, 44, has been interested in buying Villa for some time but stepped back last week as three other consortiums broke their cover.

The owner of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns was also sidetracked by the annual migration of his gridiron squad to their pre-season training camp.

But Lerner, who made an £800million fortune through the sale of family business MBNA, still wants the Premiership club.

The fact Villa have offered their manager’s job to Martin O’Neill has also helped.

O’Neill was first choice to replace David O’Leary for both Lerner and rival bidder Michael Neville.

The former Celtic and Leicester boss has promised Ellis a decision by the weekend and, if he says yes, will join Villa on their pre-season tour of Germany and Holland.

That leaves octogenarian Ellis free to concentrate on a sell-off before the start of the season.

Lerner leads the race but faces stiff competition from Neville and a group led by judge Nicholas Padfield, who revealed last night they might join forces.

Padfield said: “We have been approached by representatives from other consortia. One is a representative of Mr Neville.

“We are considering opening discussions with them. Nothing is going to happen until I return from holiday at the end of the week.

“One crucial issue is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire shareholding.

“The other critical issue is what the position is as regards the team manager — has one been appointed, is one going to be appointed, the nature of his contract etc.

“I have had no discussions with Mr Ellis and all of us find it surprising no one from the club has bothered to tell us what the position is.

“I don’t anticipate we will be in a great rush to make a bid simply because we don’t have all the relevant information on which to base it.”

The other consortium interested in buying Villa is led by Sven Goran Eriksson’s adviser Athole Still

Oh you Devil's Advocate you, Morley!

Takeover rules dictate that they are not allowed to go public about their bids so by talking to five live Padfield, like Neville has done, is breaking those rules, just like the 'leaks' that have appeared in the Mail which have come from the club, ALLEGEDLY. Not very professional is it?

I am not to sure though Padfield would have broken the rules ...... yet.

My understanding is this that information has to be secret only once a bid has been made or is being contemplated.

AV06 hasn't even approaced AV with a bid - so it isn't even being contemplated by Villa.

That means at this stage, I would imagine they can talk about it if they wish.

It says this

Randy on Villa brink

By JANINE SELF

Padfield said: “We have been approached by representatives from other consortia. One is a representative of Mr Neville

From here

I also meant to add that according to the takeover panel website, the need for secrecy before an announcement can't be emphasised enough.

Anyone who is privy to the confidential information (especially price info) or even a contemplated offer must keep it secret and only pass it on to others if absolutely necessary.

Which is a very good point. I think the majority of fans on here, if not Villa fans full stop, would prefer to see Lerner 'win' this battle. We are told that negotiations have started again, and it's all looking good. Seeing as how swift Lerner and the Americans 'pulled out' last week, the quieter it gets, perhaps the better looking it is.

Most Villa fans I know hav stated that they want the best man/men for the job. That does not necessarliy mean that would be Lerner.

... here it is

Randy on Villa brink

By JANINE SELF

To add to that:-

O'Neill in need of assurances from Villa

By Gary Jacob

DOUG ELLIS’S handling of takeover negotiations is scaring off Martin O’Neill and some of the potential buyers of Aston Villa. The Barclays Premiership club’s chairman has offered the managerial vacancy to O’Neill, but the Irishman is believed to have been annoyed by reports in the local press indicating that he will be introduced as the successor to David O’Leary, who was dismissed last month.

Some of the consortiums interested in buying Villa believe the club may be attempting to stoke up a bidding process. Two of them are discussing joining forces to consolidate financially and make one bid. Michael Neville, who tabled a formal £64 million bid last week, has approached Nicholas Padfield QC, part of the AV06 consortium.

Padfield said last night: “One of the crucial issues is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire shareholding. The other critical issue is what the position is as regards the team manager — has one been appointed, is one going to be appointed, the nature of his contract etc.”

O’Neill is interested in the job but is seeking more information about the potential owners of the club. The former Celtic manager may find it easier to work under a different regime to Ellis, who has been in control for three decades with one minor interruption.

Ellis is anxious to have a manager in place before the start of the season, in part because there remains the possibility that the takeover will not happen or the negotiations drag on. Some of the consortiums are unhappy at Ellis’s approach because they would want to appoint their own manager.

They are also unhappy at the speed of the negotiations because, even if a deal could be completed in the next couple of weeks, there will be little time to bring in players before the end of the transfer window this month. The parties are perplexed as to why Ellis is stipulating that they must provide money for new players, in addition to finding the £64 million asking price to buy Villa. There is also unhappiness within the club at the way that the negotiations process is being conducted.

O’Neill is the favoured choice of Randy Lerner, the owner of the Cleveland Browns American football franchise, who is believed to be ready to table a firm offer this week. Lerner’s main competitor is a consortium headed by Athole Still, the agent of Sven-Göran Eriksson. They made an offer for the club last week. “We now hear that there are two more consortiums and we don’t know what is going on,” Still said. “The ball is in Villa’s court. We have done everything in the right and proper manner.”

So it seems Still has actually put an 'informal' bid in. All doesn't seem well though, Ellis seems to be upsetting a lot of people. Stop being a clown Ellis!!

This was taken from the Times newspaper, here's the link:-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2296972,00.html

It says this

Randy on Villa brink

By JANINE SELF

Padfield said: “We have been approached by representatives from other consortia. One is a representative of Mr Neville

From here

Phew, i'll sleep better tonight now!

I can't take much more of this.

Sorry, i messed that post up a bit :?

Anyway, read the article from the Times, seems Still has put a bid in, and Ellis is making alot of people unhappy in the way he is conducting this, i.e. taking FOREVER!

I also meant to add that according to the takeover panel website, the need for secrecy before an announcement can't be emphasised enough.

Anyone who is privy to the confidential information (especially price info) or even a contemplated offer must keep it secret and only pass it on to others if absolutely necessary.

Which is a very good point. I think the majority of fans on here, if not Villa fans full stop, would prefer to see Lerner 'win' this battle. We are told that negotiations have started again, and it's all looking good. Seeing as how swift Lerner and the Americans 'pulled out' last week, the quieter it gets, perhaps the better looking it is.

Most Villa fans I know hav stated that they want the best man/men for the job. That does not necessarliy mean that would be Lerner.

No, but since we're in the dark about all the bids, we can at least say that he evidently has some money, and past behaviour suggests he runs things quite well (according to Cleveland Browns fans). The same can't necessarily be said for Neville...

O'Neill in need of assurances from Villa

By Gary Jacob

DOUG ELLIS’S handling of takeover negotiations is scaring off Martin O’Neill and some of the potential buyers of Aston Villa. The Barclays Premiership club’s chairman has offered the managerial vacancy to O’Neill, but the Irishman is believed to have been annoyed by reports in the local press indicating that he will be introduced as the successor to David O’Leary, who was dismissed last month.

Some of the consortiums interested in buying Villa believe the club may be attempting to stoke up a bidding process. Two of them are discussing joining forces to consolidate financially and make one bid. Michael Neville, who tabled a formal £64 million bid last week, has approached Nicholas Padfield QC, part of the AV06 consortium.

Padfield said last night: “One of the crucial issues is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire shareholding. The other critical issue is what the position is as regards the team manager — has one been appointed, is one going to be appointed, the nature of his contract etc.”

O’Neill is interested in the job but is seeking more information about the potential owners of the club. The former Celtic manager may find it easier to work under a different regime to Ellis, who has been in control for three decades with one minor interruption.

Ellis is anxious to have a manager in place before the start of the season, in part because there remains the possibility that the takeover will not happen or the negotiations drag on. Some of the consortiums are unhappy at Ellis’s approach because they would want to appoint their own manager.

They are also unhappy at the speed of the negotiations because, even if a deal could be completed in the next couple of weeks, there will be little time to bring in players before the end of the transfer window this month. The parties are perplexed as to why Ellis is stipulating that they must provide money for new players, in addition to finding the £64 million asking price to buy Villa. There is also unhappiness within the club at the way that the negotiations process is being conducted.

O’Neill is the favoured choice of Randy Lerner, the owner of the Cleveland Browns American football franchise, who is believed to be ready to table a firm offer this week. Lerner’s main competitor is a consortium headed by Athole Still, the agent of Sven-Göran Eriksson. They made an offer for the club last week. “We now hear that there are two more consortiums and we don’t know what is going on,” Still said. “The ball is in Villa’s court. We have done everything in the right and proper manner.”

So it seems Still has actually put an 'informal' bid in. All doesn't seem well though, Ellis seems to be upsetting a lot of people. Stop being a clown Ellis!!

This was taken from the Times newspaper, here's the link:-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2296972,00.html

Oh you Devil's Advocate you, Morley!

Takeover rules dictate that they are not allowed to go public about their bids so by talking to five live Padfield, like Neville has done, is breaking those rules, just like the 'leaks' that have appeared in the Mail which have come from the club, ALLEGEDLY. Not very professional is it?

They have declared their interest - the same as the other groups and tye Villa Board have issued statements to the stock market as such.

Nothing to see here.

The thing is that it's much too late in the summer, and we won't have a chance to compete before the next season.

I love the club being taken over, but this season is almost to forget before it even begin. I don't think we will relegate anymore though, which is a very good thing. Mediocre yet again.... getting used to it though. And let's not make too much out of Martin O'Neill for god's sake... he has won some Carling-trophies with Leicester (and it is the lower-placed teams' cup) and I don't even rate his Celtic's honours as I would have easily done the same. The Scotting league is worser than the Norwegian and has only 2-3 teams worth looking at. MON is a good manager, but certainly not a great. If he was he would have been managing a top club like Man Utd or Arsenal, and not a club more likely to relegate than go top-10 next season. It's harsh, but true.