Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Padfield came across as someone who I wouldn't feel entirely confortable running the club.

Now, it's only first impressions, but he didn't sound like a man who wanted to be doing it. It doesn't have to be a Villa fan, but there were one or two comments that made this bid sound all a bit too rushed.

Getting together with Neville is all well and good, but too many cooks spoil the broth and all that.

Who said that Padfield would be running the club?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also meant to add that according to the takeover panel website, the need for secrecy before an announcement can't be emphasised enough.

Anyone who is privy to the confidential information (especially price info) or even a contemplated offer must keep it secret and only pass it on to others if absolutely necessary.

It even states when copying or writing documents it must be handles in such a way no information can escape beyond those who need to know.

So we can speculate all we want, but ultimately the lack of information from AV or Rothschilds could be viewed as a good sign - they are at the stage where they can't legally give anything out.

Hence why it has probably been the quietest day in this whole takeover saga in the last couple of weeks.

I expect something to happen tomorrow in regards to Lerner. That's just a guess though. :winkold:

I also meant to add that according to the takeover panel website, the need for secrecy before an announcement can't be emphasised enough.

Anyone who is privy to the confidential information (especially price info) or even a contemplated offer must keep it secret and only pass it on to others if absolutely necessary.

It even states when copying or writing documents it must be handles in such a way no information can escape beyond those who need to know.

So we can speculate all we want, but ultimately the lack of information from AV or Rothschilds could be viewed as a good sign - they are at the stage where they can't legally give anything out.

Hence why it has probably been the quietest day in this whole takeover saga in the last couple of weeks.

I expect something to happen tomorrow in regards to Lerner. That's just a guess though. :winkold:

Which is a very good point. I think the majority of fans on here, if not Villa fans full stop, would prefer to see Lerner 'win' this battle. We are told that negotiations have started again, and it's all looking good. Seeing as how swift Lerner and the Americans 'pulled out' last week, the quieter it gets, perhaps the better looking it is.

I totally agree John. He and Athole Still have remained silent throughout this, adhering to the rules and when asked have said NO COMMENT. They are big time players and know the rules. The others it seems are all too eager to talk and give details when they could simply say NO COMMENT.

I said before, I know who I'd rather have running my club. Experience is counts for everything, and sport is a unique business. I wnat people who are experienced in the global sports market.

Which is a very good point. I think the majority of fans on here, if not Villa fans full stop, would prefer to see Lerner 'win' this battle. We are told that negotiations have started again, and it's all looking good. Seeing as how swift Lerner and the Americans 'pulled out' last week, the quieter it gets, perhaps the better looking it is.

I totally agree John. He and Athole Still have remained silent throughout this, adhering to the rules and when asked have said NO COMMENT. They are big time players and know the rules. The others it seems are all too eager to talk and give details when they could simply say NO COMMENT.

I said before, I know who I'd rather have running my club. Experience is counts for everything, and sport is a unique business. I wnat people who are experienced in the global sports market.

Oopss some double posting going on there lol

But I also agree that those who have kept quiet are also those we know have been in talks now for weeks/months - are most likely to be the ones at the firm bidding stage.

I suspect it will be one of two outcomes soon - Still or Lerner.

Personally while I love the idea of Lerner, I also do respect the fact Still and his consortium have kept their heads down and just got on with it.

Counts for a lot in my book at least.

Nope I think its partly the board. My message has posted but in my other window where I originally wrote it, I am being told it is still posting!

Sometimes happens especially when there have been problems with the board today (I assume the boards hosted on a shared server)...... so can cause these delays and you hit post again - whammy double post occurs!

there is only one club that has managed to buck the trend for investors in British Football, and that's Manure.

We may be a play thing for all the groups involved...

So far (arguably) sure.

We're a play thing for Ellis, and have been for donkeys years.

We'll be a play thing, in one sense or another for someone else, soon.

It's how it is.

The whole media frenzy is only there because us lot, devotees, are interested and it sells papers and catches viewers, listeners and advertisers.

I hope the next person for whom Villa is a play thing treats "us" with rather more care than the current owner.

Yeah, same with me about the double posting.

ON TOPIC: I think Still will have a BIG financial package behind him too, and IMO it's a TWO horse race, between Lerner and Still now. In which I expect there to be an announcement soon.

The tactics of Neville and AV06 tonight show that something is about to happen, because just as Lerner was supposedly about to bid last time, Neville came out and said he had bid.

IMO Howell could be right and we could have a new manager before we go on tour, and with it, a consortium will be buying AVFC. This is all me guessing though, but it makes sense.

ON TOPIC: I think Still will have a BIG financial package behind him too, and IMO it's a TWO horse race, between Lerner and Still now. In which I expect there to be an announcement soon.

I couldn't agree more - I can't imagine Still coming into this without some really serious money behind him.

However, we don't know how much would be loans and how much investment by people. I would hope mostly the latter - but until the full details of any bid are announced we won't know and its merely guesswork and speculation on our part.

You may be right. IMO I think that Neville has been found out and that Padfield realises he's off the pace so is looking at Neville and his research to fast-track his people up the ladder but Think that they are oth out of the game now.

I agree with Pete that all parties want this ideally settled before the end of the tour, ideally before the weekend. IT gives the cluba massive boost and especially the players who will see MON turn up for the tour, who knwos with a palyer or 2 in tow.

And it also gives time for the season ticcket sales to get a much needed boost cos, lets face it they need it!

Tomorrow would be a perfect time to announce new manager and owners IMO. AFter this week and it totally f**Ks up pre-season both on/off field from the team sense but also commercially and that includes ticket/season ticket sales.

Playing Devil's Advocate here:

I'm sure Padfield is well aware of the rules considering he is a big time QC. He's probably more aware of the rules than any of the others.

Perhaps he has openly talked to the press in order to demonstrate that his consortium are VERY much interested in the purchase of Aston Villa.

Some might see Lerner's silence, and his 'just opportunities' quotes, as very worrying.

Also, if reports are to be believed, Lerner will have a very 'hands off' approach to running the club, and will employ other people to take manage the club on a day-to-day basis.

Apparently, Padfield's consortium also has similar ideas of ensuring ' the right people' are brought in to run the business.

I suppose it could also be said that owning an American football team, is very different to owning an English Premier League club.

How transferable is his knowledge, I wonder.

(As it happens, I also want Lerner, but I think trying to dismiss all other interested parties without knowing the full details of their bids, is highly dangerous. And could also ultimately end in real heartbreak).

I said it when i made that rash thread about Neville.. but he is dodgy. Stay away Neville if you really are a fan. The fact that he wants to JOIN a rival.. just to COMPETE with Lerner and Still's.. just goes to show he does not have the fire power to compete and is just slowing down the process of one of those two completing a deal.

This wont be completed for at least another week.. if Padfield is going on holiday.. he must be aloud to talk to Ellis too? Or can he go on holiday and Lerner buys the club then bad luck. Why no urgency?

Lerner and Still - i wouldnt mind. The other two dont have the capacity unless they join bids... and if they do.. would be too many chiefs and no indians.

Tomorrow would be a perfect time to announce new manager and owners IMO. AFter this week and it totally ***** up pre-season both on/off field from the team sense but also commercially and that includes ticket/season ticket sales

Didn't someone say that season ticket sales were down 40%?? Ellis & the Board simply have to pull their fingers out & get this whole shambles sorted Manager, Owners and New Players ASAP!!!!

I noticed SSN are now showing the Aston Villa Players IN board with absolutely No Players showing

Oh you Devil's Advocate you, Morley!

Takeover rules dictate that they are not allowed to go public about their bids so by talking to five live Padfield, like Neville has done, is breaking those rules, just like the 'leaks' that have appeared in the Mail which have come from the club, ALLEGEDLY. Not very professional is it?