Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

from ICBirmingham practically the same as what chris posted

Mystery over Villa takeover Jan 11 2006

By Jon Griffin,Birmingham Mail

THE outcome of the long-running Villa takeover saga remained shrouded in mystery today amid reports the Irish consortium was £10 million short of meeting the asking price.

Aston Villa appeared to quash reports that Irish property magnates Brian and Luke Comer had already pulled out of the deal - but there was no indication that any agreement was imminent.

Villa spokesman Phil Mepham today told the Birmingham Mail: "We have not been informed of any changes to the current position."

He said Villa was not planning to make any statement to the Stock Exchange.

Meanwhile, Michael Neville, the frontman for the proposed £64 million takeover by the Comers, could not be contacted for comment.

But an insider, who asked not to be named, said: "There's no doubt that Doug Ellis wants to sell - he wanted to settle the deal before Christmas but the consortium are still trying to raise the money.

"The word is that they are about £10 million short. They can't raise enough money to meet the asking price. There are serious concerns about the sums of money available."

The Mail revealed before Christmas that the takeover bid had reached due diligence stage - detailed examination of both parties' accounts - and Mr Neville said he was hopeful a deal could be agreed by the New Year.

But he later said no potential agreement was likely before mid-January as speculation grew that the takeover talks, which have been dragging on since October, would eventually come to a halt.

Ellis told shareholders at the annual meeting in October that he hoped to be able to provide more information within a month but has consistently refused to make any further public comment since.

The way the club are leaking information is a f'cking disgrace its supposed to be a plc not a tinpot business! Its all down to ellies amateurism and money grabbing yet again. In case anyone forgets the old bastard has already made a killing in terms of millions from the first sharelisting, dividends and salaries. He now wants to make another killing to prove to his ego that he is a great businessman.

In reality he is just a money grabbing C***!

ellies is obviously using the media to do his negotiations for him and the Comer brothers team is having to in turn respond to all the leaks "off the record".

Clearly the Comers are not "short" by £10 million but have obviously said that £54 million (?) is on the table and ellis and his cronies are trying to out bluff them. Note there is no longer any debate about whether the Comers will invest etc in AVFC or have the clubs best interests at heart...... its ALL about the "asking price"!!!!!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellis would not go into details of his latest surgery but said: “I’m fine. I had a procedure under anaesthetic on Monday. It was just a very small operation and I was back in the office the same day.”

Interesting comments here. He had a 'minor procedure' and in another article he describes it as being 'non-malignant'

He seems to have had a biopsy where a small piece of tissue is SENT OFF for analysis as to whether it is malignant or not.

Maybe some 'medical person' who reads this site might be able to comment on whether he would have had the result, seemingly the same day.

As I and others have heard it is not as minor as his OBEness is making out

Maybe some 'medical person' who reads tis site might be able to comment on whether he would have had the result seemingly the same day.

You can't get results the same day for a biopsy. The sample of tissue, and in the case of a bowel procedure could well be a 'polyp', would need processing, freezing, cutting into slices and then viewed under a microscope by a pathologist. This could take 2 or 3 days if you o it privately, or 6 years on the NHS.

I am beginning to ask serious questions about the ability of these irish brothers to run Villa. Running a football club means you generally aren't in it for a profit making exercise. These brothers aren't even interested in football. We could end up in a situation where there is no cash to buy players season in season out, just like now really.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the the post I made last night ;-)

Just read it and I am beginning to agree.

At least the Glazers had an interest in Sports. These people have no interest whatsoever.

There was an interview with the chairmn of Leyton Orient and he basically said you don't take over a football club to mke money, you'd never get the books to balance.

He never met with Ellis then.

Do you really think the Glazers bought ManUSA because they have "an interest in sports"? his takeover was financed by, banks and or other financial institutions and through loans secured against Manchester United itself. He didnt put any of his own money in (to the best of my knowledge)

The Comers have never made any secret of the fact that see it as business and surely it is naive to expect them or anyone else to part with£50-60 million for the "love of it".

We have had 23+ years of someone whose business methods are akin to running a corner shop and we have rightly criticised him for it.

Along come a couple of very successful business people who have a proven track record and there are already suggestions that they would run the club in a similar fashion to ellies "We could end up in a situation where there is no cash to buy players season in season out, just like now really"

Do people seriously believe they would spend this amount of money with their background just to maintain the status quo on the football front and are only in it to develop some brown field sites in Aston?

Do people seriously believe they would spend this amount of money with their background just to maintain the status quo on the football front and are only in it to develop some brown field sites in Aston?

Possibly.

Maybe they are just interested in the land? Interesting how Ellis a few weeks back mentioned he wouldn't sell to asset strippers?

The way the club are leaking information is a f'cking disgrace its supposed to be a plc not a tinpot business!

I'd agree with this Mike.

In addition I don't think that people can call Ellis a liar and say he lies all the time and then go and believe him over this. That just wouldn't be consistent would it.

Possibly.

Maybe they are just interested in the land? Interesting how Ellis a few weeks back mentioned he wouldn't sell to asset strippers?

Can't see it being the only reason but I accept that they could just buy the club plus all the assets and then just move the club onto other buyers at some point. The Comers are very sharp property developers - they would have a much greater knowledge of land values that ellies etc They knew about the failed planning application so must have other ideas.

There can be no doubt that they would know the value of the land that Villa owns - it is possible I suppose that they may view the Bodymoor Heath land as having more potential and being more valuable for housing etc

ellies reference to "asset strippers" is imo indicative of the sticking point being the value of the land and may be true but I still think we will be better off away from ellies or anyone like him who uses a football club to feather his own nest and boost their own ego's

Guest RantinRob

On WM Tony Butler is saying the takeover is "dead in the water", and Ellis should now release funds for the manager

The way the club are leaking information is a f'cking disgrace its supposed to be a plc not a tinpot business!

I'd agree with this Mike.

In addition I don't think that people can call Ellis a liar and say he lies all the time and then go and believe him over this. That just wouldn't be consistent would it.

Can't believe people actually believe this 'sources' malarky. One minute 'sources' are saying "it's off", the next minute sources are saying "no it's not". Surely at least half of these sources are talking rubbish?

I'm pretty sure "our sources" is tabloid speak for "we're making this up but because we haven't quoted anyone, nobody will ever know and even if they did, we can't be sued".

point is Den I don't think the takeover makes any difference to the amount of money we are broke for an unknown reason ?

Well the half year report is out in less than three weeks so I am sure we will be reporting aother loss....... the figures might be revealing for those who are 'investment minded'

Will they shoe something that concerns the Comers I wonder

well what none of us can answer is why a club with no debts and has cut the wages can't afford a new pitch and a cheap loan signing ???

Yet we are spending £8m on a training ground, imagine any other clubs fans puttimg up with that ?

well what none of us can answer is why a club with no debts and has cut the wages can't afford a new pitch and a cheap loan signing ???

Yet we are spending £8m on a training ground, imagine any other clubs fans puttimg up with that ?

There's a great deal wrong with the premise of that question, Ian, I would wager.

"No debts" - I think this is wrong.

"cut the wages" - will be wrong again

"can't afford" - not true either. Won't afford is more accurate

"spending 8 mill on a training ground" - around 3 mill a year for 3 years (total of 8 ) might be part of the reason.

Or to put it another way

In April, the club (Ellis) promised 20 million for new players in the summer. Then didn't spend anything before the season ticket deadline - cue massive drop in season ticket sales, and big drop in gates. = Much reduced income. The late spend on bouma and Baros took the overall net spend to 10 million by the end of August, and the wages will have gone back up again, after last years drop.

So basically outgoings are much higher, income much lower = Big losses.

Capital spend on the Training ground = more losses

That's why.

The financial results I'd say will be a "reap what you have sown" thing, showing Ellis's approach to have utterly failed.

Add in the takeover and Ellis's reluctance towards debt and borrowings and you've got a mess. Of course Bruce Langham will be able to...Oh, I forgot, he f*cked off too. 'nuther half a mill doen the pan, and no proper executive planning or vision.

I wish the Conway sisters would hurry up and **** off so that other investors can be found.

Pay the money or get lost - Ellis isn't going to sell for any less because he's a penny pinching old clearing in the woods.

I'm sick of the back teeth of this now. The club is crumbling whilst a bunch of cowboy tarmacers and a 157 year old travel agent argue over its value.

If Ellis loved this club, he'd sell his share for a nominal fee to any investor who is willing to make a significant investment in the team.

some interesting points Pete,

We have no debts as far as we know, because we have no overdraft or loans so is that hidden ?

Wages we will see but they hwere cut from 64% of turnover to 56% ish but due to greater turnover

Training ground is spending the 'usual' transfer budget

As I say why we put up with it, no other fans would ?

we do have "short term debt". The last figures are now 6 months old - before all the recent spend, obviously.

Last time turnover fell, and it will do so again.

Training ground is on top of the transfer spend.

No I'm not happy about it either, Ian, but the worry is not the lack of spend, it's the lack of revenue. And it's getting worse.