Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

if thats him caring and loving the club, then i would hate to see his actions to a club he dislikes...

That is him caring and loving the club, the problem with ellis is not that he doesn't care about the club, the problem is that he has a set way of doing things. A way that he thinks is best for the club but is so stubborn and up his own arse that he has never listened to advice or changed his way of doing things since the seventies!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Comers were in it for a football club, would they spend months looking at our books? IF they are planning to invest £20m yearly as some reports suggest, there is no need to spend months on due dilligence.

Villa is a very big club and there simply aren't that many available to buy if you want a top club. The price seem quite low compared to what that Russian guy is willing to pay for Portsmouth. We have no debt, meaning any new owner doesn't need to spend millions only to clear it. The squad is good enough for a top half finish, and with three or four more quality players we would easily be among the teams challenging for a place in Europe. We own land which has some value, even though it's less than the £20m that Ellis seems to want for it. Our ticket prices are among the lowest in the country, so there is a potential for increased turnover by increasing prices to be on the same level as other top clubs. Etc.

If they still need a couple of months to decide if the reported £64.4m fee is to high, they're only in it for the money.

Silent Bob

I really can't see the rationale for this statement. Whether we like it or not premiership football is "business" and we know that anyone that buys Villa is not being purely altruistic. Also we knew from the outset (or at least assumed) that the Comer Brothers were not just in it for the fun of it.

You then go on to talk about the land AVFC owns and say even though it's less than the £20m that Ellis seems to want for it.

If this is true do you not think that the Comer Brothers are right to play hard ball (if this is what they are doing) and lets face it, both they AND ellis are "in it for the money"

£60 odd million is a lot of dosh and frankly I would want to analyse in AVFC finances in minute detail after ellis had been in charge for 23+ years.

Aston Villa have a lot of assets. One of them being the brand "Aston Villa" that has a lot of potential customers.

It's very hard to put a spesific value on the brand.

So since the Comers spend months on due dilligence it must mean that they don't value the brand, but are instead looking at more physical assets like the land.

Ellis values the land at £20m, but it is probably a lot less. But even if it's only £10m it's still something you get on top of Aston Villa FC. If we accept it's worth £10m then they are only paying £54m for the club. Not to much imo, as the potential for increased turnover and profit is high.

We are a big club with a squad capable of a top half finish. There aren't that many clubs of our size available for a takeover. If Portsmouth is worth £30m then I don't think £54m for Villa is too much.

Because Villa is a much bigger club than Pompey. They would most likely have to spend the difference of £25m on players alone to be able to get around 50 points in the Premiership. We allready have a squad capable of that.

We don't have any debts to be cleared, there is no need to expand Villa Park further atm and our training facilities are to be upgraded to state-of-the art for a total cost of £8m if what I've read earlier is correct. Our long term financial potential is much higher than Pompey's and there are no extra costs except for strengthening the squad.

So compared to Portsmouth £54m for the club and £10m for the land doesn't seem too bad, does it?

So if they still disagree on the value, they are looking for a profit only. And even though I would still welcome them as new owners, I don't think they are here for the long term. And I'm not convinced they are the owners we actuallt would want if we could choose freely.

The Aston Villa brand is worth not worth that much. It's been messed with, and under used for so long, that now, its needs A LOT of work on it to get it up there.

The team is an average one.

The club has had to cancel putting in a new pitch at the cost of only £700,000 because they can't afford it.

The club cannot even afford to bring in a loan player.

I'd say £54million compared to Portsmouth £30million is about right. If not a little over the top.

The club is only worth what it is worth. Not what potential earnings could be. But what it is worth now.

The club is only worth what it is worth. Not what potential earnings could be. But what it is worth now.

Actually potential earnings is often more relevant than current earnings when you're buying a business.

We are a big club with a squad capable of a top half finish. There aren't that many clubs of our size available for a takeover. If Portsmouth is worth £30m then I don't think £54m for Villa is too much.

It's not about the price, its about ellis selling.

To get into an argument about the correct valuation of something that was valued at £10m not so long ago, is playing into Ellis' hands and distracting from the fact that nothings happening and the window will be closed whilst we're waiting.

right...........

so the papers break the news that villa will be taken over, only for the villa to come out and say that there has only been an aproach and no formal off has been made. 2 days laters skysports "ambushes" michael neville at his house to ask what is happening, he says something will happen within the month, that was november.

december, a few weeks without a word and michael neville releases a statement saying the takeover will go through before newyear.

1 week after that statement were told that "avil" has been setup to push the takeover through.

1 week after that were told that it will take untill the end of jan to go through....... for **** sake.

i lost intrest in this matter a few days ago, i now dont care if anyone takes us over. its a joke, the club cant do anything simple. if it is the commers who are holding up the deal than i dont want them to takeover as they will just do what ellis has.

maybe but if Pompey is worth £60m then surely £64m with some land is actually a good deal, and the Comer's can make money easy within a year if they exploited outr assets correctly.

If they want our land for profits then simply someone lied to them, though myself and many others on here could have told them the truth for a small consultancy fee ....

Pompey £60M didn't the Ruski by half with £15M? Can someone get the calculator for Mr Robathan.

Listen I have no doubts that the club will not move as far forward under Ellis, than that of a more forward thinking board (stating the obvious yes). But all the quotes about Ellis being a cnut from people who don't know what the hell is going on (me included) is tiresome.

Top 6 - when have Aston Villa, post war constantly been a top 6 side pre Ellis or during his tenure. We know the potential of the club, and this has not been maximised - and Ellis is responsible for a good proportion of that, but, I get the impression that when he has gone, there could be a lot of keyboards in moth balls.

You see that's where we really differ Lee. I would rather it be tiresome and at least have an objective and even a bit of a hope of change than be someone who just accepts it all with a cest la vie attitude and then complains and moans when things dont go right. attitudes like that are why we still find ourselves in this position of perrenial underachievers. You claim to want Ellis out and then come on here with the shrug of the shoulders attitude, to me thats a conflict of beliefs.

It **** me off being a villa fan when I see shit on here and mostly on H&V (I wont even get started about that blog wank shite) about how we should just accept the drivel we get from the club. Still as you say if ellis goes then a few keyboards might get mothballed but then again as a fan maybe there will be better things to comment about

You see that's where we really differ Lee. I would rather it be tiresome and at least have an objective and even a bit of a hope of change than be someone who just accepts it all with a cest la vie attitude and then complains and moans when things dont go right. attitudes like that are why we still find ourselves in this position of perrenial underachievers. You claim to want Ellis out and then come on here with the shrug of the shoulders attitude, to me thats a conflict of beliefs.

It **** me off being a villa fan when I see shit on here and mostly on H&V (I wont even get started about that blog wank shite) about how we should just accept the drivel we get from the club. Still as you say if ellis goes then a few keyboards might get mothballed but then again as a fan maybe there will be better things to comment about

Drat - a lot of it is not objective, and to be fair who the feck are you to tell me what attitude I should have. I don't have a cest la vie attitude at all, I was making the point that there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that you nor or I are party to. I spoke to Robo, in the flesh yesterday reagrding the takeover - so no shrug of the shoulders attitude there :winkold: , and he mentioned something to me, that if proved true would show that Ellis is a knob. But until the Comers or Neville come out and state that the reason that the deal broke down, was due to the Ellis' intransigence, then I will reserve judgement and not come on here to have a pop at Ellis, because the Mrs has burnt the Toast.

Which Blog Wank site is that - Rob's is an excellent one for updated material :winkold: As for mainly on H&V - I think that you should pop over there more often and debate your points - or is your absence down to a cest la vie attitude?

thing is Lee, that the standard excuse which you have just said along with John Lewrill about top 6 hardly being a decent benchmark does not hold water.

Was Chelsea a regular top 6 team, or Bolton, or Boro, or Spurs, or many teams.

We are a big big club and yet a portion of fans seem settled for the Ellis legacy of so called stabilty and mid table medricority and whilst tht is the case in modern football, the only way is down !!

thing is Lee, that the standard excuse which you have just said along with John Lewrill about top 6 hardly being a decent benchmark does not hold water.

Was Chelsea a regular top 6 team, or Bolton, or Boro, or Spurs, or many teams.

We are a big big club and yet a portion of fans seem settled for the Ellis legacy of so called stabilty and mid table medricority and whilst tht is the case in modern football, the only way is down !!

Ian I have not settled for anything and the Chelsea example is flawed, along with Boro and Bolton.

Chelsea had a fair bit of success in the 90's and 00's and were nearly bankrupted by it, despite their position in West London and their amount of Real Estate. If Abramovich had not come a long and bailed them out when he did, then they may have been in the same position as your perrenial favourites Leeds. Proir to this they were shite club and had only a modicum of success since the post war years.

Boro - despite the squandered Millions - where are they now - for the amount that Gibson has spent, 1 league cup in their history. :shock:

Bolton at the moment are a one off, down to the talent of the Manager that they have - they are have been out of the top flight for long periods and this is a successful period for them.

Spurs - When started getting into footy - Spurs were one of the top 5 clubs in England and always have had that London Factor -

I suppose you are going to mention Arsenal next :winkold:

I can mention at least 12 teams bove us all of them apart from an obvious 4 teams have not had any kind of constant 'success' yet still have mbitions to be top 6, what do we have, a club and a set of fans obviously happy for 'stability'.

Again when Ellis states his legacy is a so called stable club, which can not afford a loan signing nor a new pitch , then the majority of fans get the club they deserve.

Lee_AV wrote:

spoke to Robo, in the flesh yesterday reagrding the takeover - so no shrug of the shoulders attitude there , and he mentioned something to me, that if proved true would show that Ellis is a knob. But until the Comers or Neville come out and state that the reason that the deal broke down, was due to the Ellis' intransigence, then I will reserve judgement and not come on here to have a pop at Ellis, because the Mrs has burnt the Toast.

Why not? This is a forum, an informal chat if you like, where rumours are the order of the day. Please spill the beans, as this story is rapidly becoming the most boring in our history! It needs some gossip to liven it up. :lol:

I can mention at least 12 teams bove us all of them apart from an obvious 4 teams have not had any kind of constant 'success' yet still have mbitions to be top 6, what do we have, a club and a set of fans obviously happy for 'stability'.

Again when Ellis states his legacy is a so called stable club, which can not afford a loan signing nor a new pitch , then the majority of fans get the club they deserve.

Are the old - "you get what you deserve" comeback. we know that we have underpeformed over the Premiership Years and if Ellis was not at the helm we could have been so much better, of that there is no doubt.

As for those 12 teams above us at the moment - under the current climate, shouldn't you address your immediate concerns to Davld O'Leary esq?

Lee_AV wrote:
spoke to Robo, in the flesh yesterday reagrding the takeover - so no shrug of the shoulders attitude there , and he mentioned something to me, that if proved true would show that Ellis is a knob. But until the Comers or Neville come out and state that the reason that the deal broke down, was due to the Ellis' intransigence, then I will reserve judgement and not come on here to have a pop at Ellis, because the Mrs has burnt the Toast.

Why not? This is a forum, an informal chat if you like, where rumours are the order of the day. Please spill the beans, as this story is rapidly becoming the most boring in our history! It needs some gossip to liven it up. :lol:

PM Ianrobo1 - it's his swoop not mine.

As for opnions, I agree - but look at some of the posts in this and other threads which are largely based on subjecture on a situation that we know vwery little about at the moment and based on hatred of the Octegenarian.

Lee_AV wrote:

PM Ianrobo1 - it's his swoop not mine.

As for opnions, I agree - but look at some of the posts in this and other threads which are largely based on subjecture on a situation that we know vwery little about at the moment and based on hatred of the Octegenarian.

Agree totally Lee_AV, what you say is right, I find it really sad that I have lost most of my interest in AVFC. I would love the takeover, but dont expect it, so I do have a "such is life" attitude. I enjoy it when we win, and dislike it when we lose, but I am no longer in seventh heaven when we win, and kicking the cat when we lose. I'm resigned to mediocrity until Ellis dies, which due to the lifespan of humans cannot be that long.

Wurzel, there is no rumour or anything but it is well known that before the Comer's were even on the scene that other people were interested in the club and it seems to me and others that maybe ellis is holding out for someone else who might either a) get him a better deal in money or B) somehow keep him in power.

lee your last pont belongs in nother thread but what is outr average position under Ellis in the PL is it 8th ?

That is a massive underperformance for a club who can attract 35,000 + averages when we don't do that well and that is all down to Ellis and above all that is the one and ONLY reason he should go, the pother reasons are jut fluff compared to that one.

As I say his legacy is stabiility, not trophies, cL or excitment but stability and that is debatable, when after 10 years of PL money all we can not even afford a loan player bearing in mind we are supposed to be in NO debt.