Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Ellis really wants to sell, and if the problem is that he's asking too much for his holding, I believe he will lower his sights as time goes by and take a lower offer. He knows he's on borrowed time, and I'm sure he would prefer to oversee the change of ownership personally.

He will sell before too much longer. Whether the Comers will be the buyers is anybody's guess.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rest assured chaps and chapesses IF there is a takeover it won't be the Comers :winkold:

Just so I can't be accused of speaking in hindsight.... I posted this several pages (page 15) ago on 27th December 2005. This is the start of the proof of what I said.

Ian, I agree that if Ellis was a little creative in his portfolio, it wouldn't have been too difficult for the Comers to find out more from other sources, but perhaps they initially believed Uncle Doug's spiel, and only due diligence has flushed out the half truths (lies). However, if the land is not worth what Ellis reckons, the Comers will I guess, say enough is enough.

With regard to Pompey, I thought the money involved is £15m for 50% now and an option for the other half at some time in the future.

If the Comers were in it for a football club, would they spend months looking at our books? IF they are planning to invest £20m yearly as some reports suggest, there is no need to spend months on due dilligence.

Villa is a very big club and there simply aren't that many available to buy if you want a top club. The price seem quite low compared to what that Russian guy is willing to pay for Portsmouth. We have no debt, meaning any new owner doesn't need to spend millions only to clear it. The squad is good enough for a top half finish, and with three or four more quality players we would easily be among the teams challenging for a place in Europe. We own land which has some value, even though it's less than the £20m that Ellis seems to want for it. Our ticket prices are among the lowest in the country, so there is a potential for increased turnover by increasing prices to be on the same level as other top clubs. Etc.

If they still need a couple of months to decide if the reported £64.4m fee is to high, they're only in it for the money.

Malc, interesting reading of it, but if Ellis wanted NOT to sell, why all the pretence, why not simply say he WILL NOT sell, why not just reject any advances.

Who says he wants to sell, Ellis the man who is lies and smoke screens personified.

If you think back to the positions his last CEO put the club in and his severe illness since, the portfolio selling the club is a genuine attempt to find investment not necessarily

Maybe he was 'forced' to put the club up for sale, but everytime I have seen him on TV or heard reports of him he looks and sounds very unwelll. Do you believe Ellis with his track record would simply dismiss the offers straight away ?

Of course, other will evaluate the deals on offer and summarise for him.

Problem is if the portfolio has valued Villa's assets at a figure that do not represent their true and actual and Ellis will not budge from the valuation were do they go.

If the Comers were in it for a football club, would they spend months looking at our books? IF they are planning to invest £20m yearly as some reports suggest, there is no need to spend months on due dilligence.

Villa is a very big club and there simply aren't that many available to buy if you want a top club. The price seem quite low compared to what that Russian guy is willing to pay for Portsmouth. We have no debt, meaning any new owner doesn't need to spend millions only to clear it. The squad is good enough for a top half finish, and with three or four more quality players we would easily be among the teams challenging for a place in Europe. We own land which has some value, even though it's less than the £20m that Ellis seems to want for it. Our ticket prices are among the lowest in the country, so there is a potential for increased turnover by increasing prices to be on the same level as other top clubs. Etc.

If they still need a couple of months to decide if the reported £64.4m fee is to high, they're only in it for the money.

Silent Bob

I really can't see the rationale for this statement. Whether we like it or not premiership football is "business" and we know that anyone that buys Villa is not being purely altruistic. Also we knew from the outset (or at least assumed) that the Comer Brothers were not just in it for the fun of it.

You then go on to talk about the land AVFC owns and say even though it's less than the £20m that Ellis seems to want for it.

If this is true do you not think that the Comer Brothers are right to play hard ball (if this is what they are doing) and lets face it, both they AND ellis are "in it for the money"

£60 odd million is a lot of dosh and frankly I would want to analyse in AVFC finances in minute detail after ellis had been in charge for 23+ years.

Guest RantinRob
Rest assured chaps and chapesses IF there is a takeover it won't be the Comers :winkold:

Just so I can't be accused of speaking in hindsight.... I posted this several pages (page 15) ago on 27th December 2005. This is the start of the proof of what I said.

I believe in YOU Den! :winkold:

I wish there was actually some news just to stop the rampant jumping to conclusions on here!

Nobody has the slightest idea what is going on regarding the takeover. Not a clue. Even if someone did know, it's against the law to tell people without informing the stock exchange first. So stop guessing people! :)

im 100% convinced it wont go ahead...

ellis will use the "assett strippers" or the "not the right people" or the "not shown enough money" bollocks as an excuse for him **** the deal up...

I agree that the deal will not go through, however..... I have always been one of ellis' strongest critics, i believe he has held the club back through constant pennypinching, archaic strategies, shortsightedness the list goes on. This time though i do believe that he has got the best interests of the club in mind when selling.

At the end of the day there is considerable milaege in the view of Ellis as Mr Aston Villa. Due to the fact that Villa has been his life for the last 23 years he is not going to sell to someone that does not want the best for villa. As it has been pointed out many times before, he has already taken vast sums out of villa so is probably not going to too concerned with a couple of million either way.

i can say it because i know how he has run the club i love for over 25 years...

experience has taught me that if he cared about villa so much, he wouldnt treat us like his personal slag, that he can do what he likes with, when he likes and **** all those around him who ask him to treat us with a little respect...

if thats him caring and loving the club, then i would hate to see his actions to a club he dislikes...

My only quibble with the theory that Ellis is using the Comers as a smoke screen to get through the AGM and the January transfer window is that it seems an unneccessarily onerous task for a man who ultimately has extremely thick skin. If there was no bid, if the club wasn't remotely on the market, would it matter to HDE? There would probably be some uncomfortable protests and some stiffly worded letters but I'm sure he's survived worse.

I can believe he's over-valuing the club, but $64m in the grand scheme of things seems not unreasonable. I more inclined to believe that his non-financial demands, his unwillingness to cede power, are probably the real issue.

But I have to believe that the club really is on the market and that the Comer's interest is genuine.