Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Tbh I think we should realise that the statement made by AVIL this morning isn't aimed at us. It's for the stock exchange and simply a warning to investors. The last paragraph is simply saying that there is no need to start buying shares thinking we will buy it from you at a higher price later on, because we do not guarantee that we will make a bid.

And there should also be considered that there is a potential profit for an investor here. If the shareholders believe the takeover is dead, they might be willing to sell shares at a low price. So if you're an investor interested in making a profit, why not start a rumour that the takeover is off and then buy shares at a low price?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mooted Aston Villa takeover dead

30/12/2004 16:25

LONDON (Reuters) - A potential takeover of Aston Villa mooted in Decemeber is dead after a major group said they was no longer interested in the English premier league club.

The Comer home group worth a reported £1 billion said in a statement on Friday they would no longer take part in the bid made late this year that also involved Michael Neville a life long Villa fan.

Brian and Luke of Comer homes group dont think Villa chairman Doug Ellis is looking to sell and it is reported to be looking for a £75 million buy out.

"Mr Neville reiterates his potential interest in making an offer for Aston Villa and continues to consider other options in this regard. However, there can be no assurance that any offer will be made," the statement said.

Birmingham-based Villa rejected the takeover approach in November saying it significantly undervalued the listed company.

According to Reuters data, Aston Villa’s current 582.4 pence share price values the club at just over 62 million pounds

Frankly Soccer this is just a poor attempt at wit.

WTF Ian?!!! i copy this off another site. There was nothing at the time that this news report wasn't serious and had been made up. :evil:

I want this takeover to go through as much as most Villa fans.

Could the latest announcement from AVIL be official confirmation to Ellis that things are still moving along.

I believe that they are working to a deadline that Ellis has imposed (obviously 31st December 2005) and with the sudden "it will be done before new year" statement last week it would seem that they are attempting to play ball.

Could this statement have been made as something of an assurance to Ellis that the takeover will now take place in 2006, at least 1 day after the deadline set by Ellis?

I think that Neville tried to force Ellis t ospeed up with the two 'deadlines' he mentioned. Nothing happened from Ellis so this is the next stage trying to show they may pull out.

From all of this Neville seems a lot more desperate for this to happen than Ellis

I think we have all seen the SE announcement....... especially this

For the avoidance of doubt there can be no certainty that an offer will be made nor as to the terms on which an offer might be made nor as to the timing of anyoffer.

So if he is still so keen, and said it would be sorted by Xmas and then the New Year why say that when clearly no offer has even been made?

Ellis is the master of brinksmanship and Neville won;t be able to out do him on that!