The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I thought Froch won 115-113 the other night, but when you fight away from home and the fight is that close then don't whine about being robbed at the end - Froch got a similar gift last time out.

Yes when they fight away from home they need a KO to win the fight.

not so sure on Abraham either, if Froch get the fight at home, then he will win

I'm not so sure about that....I know Froch has a great chin but anyone can be KO'd, and if Abraham connects flush then Froch is toast. I've seen guys like Froch come and go over the years, don't think that punch resistance will last forever. If he wasn't so 'face first' in his approach I'd be more confident about the Abraham fight.

Just think hes not a particularly clever boxer, he has a good blow when he hit spot on,but technically he's not that special, Froch is better technically

but surely it depends where the fight wil be, in Germany froch will probably lose if he don't win by KO, In england i think Froch will take him..

Froch is actually awful, technically....I agree Abraham is too, but Abraham hits a damn sight harder than Froch does and I think this fight will come down to that.

Put it this way - when did you last see Froch fight without getting hit flush?

Only seen Froch one time,the fight saturday, so i never seen that :-)

Ward or Dirrell to win it. If Dirrell fights like he did against Double A then he'll go very far. Ward is a brilliant fighter as well but I think he might get a couple of warnings away from home for his occasional 'Holyfield head lunge'

ALABEL, SARANGANI – The Philippine National Police (PNP) is set to look into the possible involvement of boxing champ Manny Pacquiao in the attempted ambush on the mayor of the Glan town Sunday evening.

This, after rumors surfaced that one of the two vehicles seized by the authorities from the five arrested suspects are registered under the name of Pacquiao's wife, Jinky. Several campaign stickers of Pacquiao were also recovered from the vans.

But Pacquiao, standard bearer of People’s Champ Movement, said the attempt to link him to the assassination try on Glan town mayor Enrique Yap Jr. was politically-motivated aimed at tainting his candidacy which has been gaining on his rival businessman Roy Chiongbian.

The two Toyota vans with plate numbers RBR 709 and MDM 577 were seized by the authorities from the suspects who allegedly attempted to ambush Yap.

Also taken from the suspects were an Armalite rifle and a .45 caliber pistol.

“These unfounded charges against me came out as a result of the recent survey which showed my candidacy was faring well against my opponent,” Pacquiao said.

Glan Mayor Yap’s vehicle was reportedly blocked by three vehicles in Barangay Pangyan around 10:58 p.m. of April 25. Yap, however, overtook the suspects’ vehicles and immediately called for police assistance.

The police rushed to the area and accosted the suspects who are now incarcerated at the Glan Police precinct. The suspects were identified as Freddie Mendez, Ronald Elorde, Alfredo Macabacyao, Jimmy Mier, and Renante Bangkas.

Mayor Yap’s wife is running for mayor under the Lakas-Kampi-CMD. His wife’s rival for the position is Sarangani board member Tata Yap who happens to be the brother of the mayor and is running under the People’s Champ Party of Pacquiao who is seeking the congressional seat of the province.

Senior Supt. Restito Gatera, provincial police director, said they will first check with the Land Transportation Office to determine who owns the two vans used by the suspects. He said that from there they will determine if there is enough evidence to invite Pacquiao for questioning.

Local television reports here showed Pacquiao denying involvement on the attempted ambush on Mayor Yap. Pacquiao did not discount the possibility though that they own the vans but explained that it could be one of their many vans in their transportation business which is being managed by Jinky.

The van bearing plate number MDM-577 was reportedly traced to Jinky Pacquiao. Pacquiao said he will investigate the presence of the van in the scene.

At the moment, Gatera said, they will be filing violation of the Omnibus Election Code for possession of illegal firearms during election period against the suspects. He did not discount the possibility of filing charges as well against the owners of the vans used by the suspects if they are found to have participation as well on the ambush plot against Mayor Yap.

Meanwhile, authorities are not discounting the possibility that the attempted ambush on Mayor Yap could also be related with the bomb explosion that narrowly hit the convoy of Sarangani Gov. Migs Dominguez Monday noon.

It was learned that Dominguez’s convoy came from Glan to check on his party mate Mayor Yap and was returning to General Santos City when the bomb placed inside a motorcycle exploded at the Lun Masla Bridge in Malapatan town just as the convoy was passing.

Governor Dominguez was said to have been shaken by the explosion but was unhurt.

The bomb was composed of a 105mm howitzer projectile with a blasting cap, an electronic box and a short-range handheld radio that served as the triggering device.

Based on the initial visual analysis by the explosive ordnance division team “there could have been a low order detonation that is why the projectile did not explode.”

Authorities said it was only the blasting cap that exploded and the 105mm projectile was simply ejected by the blast thus causing much less damage. Had the main projectile exploded, experts said, the vehicles of Dominguez’s convoy could have been severely damaged. (With a report from Joseph Jubelag)

:lol::lol::lol:

Told you he was involved in the Valero thing as well :shock:

I knew it!

Just to even things up...

LAS VEGAS -- An associate of boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. was indicted Wednesday in Las Vegas in a shooting involving a man who argued with the boxer last August at a skating rink.

A judge issued a warrant for Ocie Harris, 27, of Chicago, to appear May 4 in Clark County District Court for arraignment on a six-count felony indictment charging him with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, carrying a concealed firearm and discharging a weapon into a vehicle.

Harris was not in court when the indictment was handed up. His lawyer, Tom Pitaro, accused Clark County prosecutors of seeking an indictment that could get Harris decades in prison as a way to reach Mayweather.

"Mr. Harris has now become the pawn in this little fiasco that seems to be going on about trying to get the prizefighter, Mr. Mayweather," Pitaro said.

Clark County District Court Judge Elissa Cadish raised Harris' bail amount to $140,000, from the $7,500 posted March 7 following his arrest in Chicago and transfer in custody to Las Vegas.

Las Vegas police identified Harris as a Mayweather "friend or associate" after serving search warrants at Mayweather's home in the investigation of the Aug. 23 shooting outside the Crystal Palace Skating Center in Las Vegas.

But police also said Mayweather, 33, wasn't a suspect, and the fighter's name doesn't appear in Wednesday's indictment.

Mayweather is undefeated as a professional boxer, with 40 wins including 25 knockouts. He is due to fight Shane Mosley on May 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Mayweather representatives, including his manager, Leonard Ellerbe, declined to comment Wednesday about Harris' indictment.

Pitaro on Wednesday provided the judge with reference letters from Harris' employer at a Chicago-area medical van shuttle service and from a Chicago city alderman, Walter Burnett Jr.

Burnett did not immediately respond to an e-mail message, and the telephone was not answered after hours at his 27th ward office.

Clark County prosecutor Samuel Bateman said outside court Wednesday that he could not disclose what the grand jury was told about Mayweather's activities at the skating center. A grand jury transcript is expected to be released in several weeks.

The indictment cancels an evidentiary hearing that had been set May 17.

According to police, Mayweather argued with the man identified as a target in the shooting, Quincey Williams, about a text message Williams sent wishing the boxer bad luck in his next fight.

Witnesses told police they saw Harris talking with Mayweather minutes before Harris allegedly opened fire in the parking lot at a BMW sedan carrying Williams and another man, Damein Bland. Police said Harris was standing with Mayweather and another man during the shooting.

Bateman said Wednesday that five shots hit the back of the vehicle. Neither Williams nor Bland was wounded.

Mayweather later denied knowing anyone named Ocie or having any knowledge of a shooting. But police said the two men are linked through witnesses, surveillance videotapes and records seized when authorities served the warrants at Mayweather's home.

"IBF Chairman Lindsey Tucker confirms that heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko formally notified the sanctioning organization about his intention to fight WBA champion David Haye of England. He told the IBF his team is involved in negotiations with Haye's co-promoter, Sauerland Event and manager Adam Booth.

Because Klitschko is pursuing a unification fight, the IBF tells sportsbox.ru the mandatory defense owed to Alexander Povetkin has been pushed back to a later date. Previously the sanctioning organization ordered Klitschko and Povetkin to reach an agreement by April 26.

"According to our rules, holding a unification fight, as I said earlier, has priority over a mandatory defense," Tucker said."

Nevada State Athletic commission director Keith Kizer informed Fanhouse that he believed that Antonio Margarito's gloves were not fishy when he knocked out the then-unbeaten Miguel Cotto at the MGM Grand during July 2008.

"I know that he wasn't rigged during the Cotto fight because we had our inspectors check him out and everything, as did Cotto's people. He was fully checked out," Kizer said of Margarito, who was subsequently found in his very next fight to have an illegal substance in his gloves and suspended from the sport for a year."

The bout was surrounded by controversy after Margarito's 'loaded gloves' episode against Shane Mosely. Many Cotto fans were extremely angry that such a thing could happen in today's sport of boxing. Almost all blame loaded gloves for Cotto's defeat at the hands of Margarito.

"One of our referees, Jay Nady, was back there, we had our inspectors back there. Cotto's guy was back there. They all checked him out and everything was fine," said Kizer."

"They felt the hand wraps and everything, and we have an inspector who I've seen check the hand wraps before, and he checks them out thoroughly," said Kizer. "He watched the hand wraps that night. If you don't have experienced inspectors, you can probably slip something through."

When the subject of awarding Margarito a licence was raised, Kizer was non-committal. Suggesting it would be down to his chairman to make that decision as and when needed.

"Margarito could come to Nevada today, apply for a license, and I could give him a license administratively, but I'm not going to do that," said Kizer. "He would have to be placed on our agenda, and that would be up to our chairman. She could put him on it right away, or she could make him wait a while."

"They could either say, 'Go back to California' first, and until they say 'you've done your time, we're not going to even bother with you,'" said Kizer.

It is believed Margarito is being lined up with a couple of warm up fights before Bob Arum will stage a showdown with Manny Pacquiao late 2010 or 2011. But that could be a bluff towards any Mayweather negotiations, should the pretty boy make it past Shane Mosely this weekend.

Also, anyone else heard that Khan got stretched in sparring?

Amir Khan’s US debut has hit complications with the British World Boxing Association light-welterweight champion stranded in the Canadian city of Vancouver as he awaits the confirmation of a work visa to fight in the United States.

Khan is due to defend the WBA 140lb title against Paulie Malignaggi on May 15 at Madison Square Garden, but had to transfer to Vancouver from the Los Angeles gym of trainer Freddie Roach a week ago after an application for his work visa for the contest became an issue.

Khan was forced to leave and go to Canada to re-apply for the work permit.

It is believed the delay may have been caused after US officials scrutinised Khan’s motoring offences in the UK.

In October 2007 Khan, then 20, was convicted of careless driving after he went through a red light and injured a pedestrian. He was driving his £87,000 BMW convertible in Bradshawgate, Bolton, when he struck Geoffrey Hatton on a pelican crossing.

Mr Hatton, 55, suffered a broken leg in the incident. Khan was cleared of dangerous driving, but found guilty of careless driving. He was given a six-month driving ban and fined £1,000.

Three months later he was back in court to face magistrates for an earlier offence of speeding. A police officer said his own speedometer was "off the clock" at 155mph as he pursued the boxer on the M62 motorway near Rochdale. He was fined £1,000 and banned for 42 days for speeding in his BMW.

Last summer, Khan, 22, was behind the wheel of his Range Rover when he was involved in an accident with a cyclist. A spokesman for the police later added that no further action would be taken against Khan.

The delay in the visa has meant that Freddie Roach, Khan’s trainer, yesterday flew to Vancouver from his base at the Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood to ensure that Khan’s preparations are kept on track ahead of a vital contest in his career, as he attempts to win over US boxing fans. Khan-Malignaggi will be screened on US cable giants HBO, while it is expected that an announcement is imminent for ITV to show the contest in the UK.

According to a source at Golden Boy Promotions, Khan’s handlers in the US, it may be up as long as a week before the work visa could be issued from the US Consulate in Vancouver.

Robert Diaz, the matchmaker for Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, speaking exclusively to The Daily Telegraph, said: “Amir Khan has had to go to Vancouver, and it is due to a few incidents when he was younger, but we are completely confident that he will be in New York to defend his title ahead of the fight with Malignaggi.

“Khan is a professional, and he has maintained his focus throughout the events that have taken place. Freddie Roach has gone up to Vancouver because it has taken longer to sort this out than we at first thought.”

An added twist to the May 15 event is that Colombian Breidis Prescott, Khan’s nemesis 17 months ago, has been added to the Madison Square Garden undercard.

Prescott was beaten by East Londoner Kevin Mitchell in Newcastle last December, propelling his career forward. Mitchell now faces Michael Katsidis for the interim World Boxing Organisation lightweight title on May 15, at Upton Park, hours before Khan, visa permitting, will meet Malignaggi.

Why would anyone hide from powder puff fists?

Because they're scared of getting their ass beat

I didn't know he was that way inclined, but seeing some of his pictures i should have guessed.

Why would anyone hide from powder puff fists?

The great Kevin Watts is.

Jesus i took a while to find out who he was. Only 7 years ago. He lost to Dennis Burley who has the worst record ive ever seen.

Â