The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Oh dear Khan, he is fighting Algieri...

What is the point of that fight?

It keeps him away from Brook, there was talk that he would be fighting Broner, if that was the case I would say fair enough but Algieri???

It just doesn't make any sense, when you consider hes just about in his prime (in terms of age) and you basically get 2 fights a year and he is wasting one on a nobody.

If he wins easily, hes just beaten a bum, if he wins a close fight then he hasn't performed and god forbid what would happen to his career if he actually lost.

Personally I don't think he is ducking brook, at the end of the day he is going after Pacquiao and Mayweather, you don't get a harder fight than either of those 2.

will Algieri get him any closer to pac or floyd?

granted it wouldn't push him any further away but surely a win against Brook (if he's that confident) would only push him closer and get him a bigger pay cheque in the mean time

I don't know, I've never accused Khan of ducking anyone, if anything he has taken on fights that he shouldn't have in the past, I get the feeling that he thinks he is next in line and just needs to cruise his way to the winner of this one

Algieri, Broner, Brook with Brook to fight Algieri after Khan does would help raise the profile of a Khan-Brook fight in the future.

I was hoping Khan-Broner would happen, I think most of the UK has never heard of Broner and I was looking forward to the furore.

Didn't Broner post something online the other day, a video clip or something, of him on the phone to Khan

I'd like to see that, I think that Khan would win that quite comfortably, Broner isn't a big hitter so Khans speed could win him that I recon

I hate backing Khan in anything I **** hate the word removed

Khan is a bum. He's ducking Brook so he doesn't get his chin shattered, he's trying to protect himself in the hope he'll get a fight with the winner of Pacquiao/Mayweather, but he won't be fighting the winner.

He's a ducker and a disgrace. Algieri brings nothing to the table other than the fact that he couldn't crack an egg when it comes to power, which is convenient for Khan.

Khan would make so much more money fighting Brook in early-mid June, but opts to earn a fraction of that against a lower quality opponent who has done nothing in the sport other than get his ass kicked by Pacquiao. Yep, that's what you call ducking.

I just hope for Khan's sake that Chris isn't let out of his "cage"

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Kell Brook is a victim of sky TV. His last fight was the only one of his I've ever seen and I try to catch as much boxing as I can. I was surprised by how good he was, surprised by how good his record is and surprised at how little known he is. Now that might prove nothing more than I'm not paying attention, but I reckon Brook could walk down the street and not be recognised by the vast majority of people, yet he's as good a boxer as this country has.

Sky's boxing gets lower numbers than Channel 5's boxing and I'm not sure that Chris Eubank Jr could do the same, which is ridiculous, Eubank is a million miles away from Brook's class, but he's hidden away from the nation on satellite TV. The coverage of boxing on the BBC is as a minority sport, it's non-existent on the schedules and it's got a lower profile than Tennis, Golf or either form of Rugby on the BBC website. The national papers will occasionally cover boxing, but not to the extent that makes a difference. 

I'm not sure what the solution is, but at the moment, the only way to earn money or get big fights as a boxer is by going to pay TV, and pay TV is isolating boxing to a limited but passionate number of fans. At the top, it's a shrinking sport aimed only at those people that already like it. For fighters like Kell Brook, there has to be a better way.

Artur Beterbiev - possibly the next sensation in the sport took a step up against an old Gabe Campillo yesterday and beat the shit out of him, poor Campillo was getting beaten to a pulp by Kovalev a couple of years ago, now this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMcB7r8ZaVU

Beterbiev had an extensive amateur career, this was his 8th pro fight at the age of 30, suffice to say he looks extremely powerful with both hands and has a devilish body attack too. 

Hopefully he can get higher level opponents soon, there's already been shots fired between his and Kovalev's camp, with Beterbiev claiming he beat Kovalev twice in the amateurs. 

Definitely one to watch. 

what the flying **** is going on at the minute on sky sports???????

Johnny **** Nelson walking around the crowd talking to them telling them how amazing they are and spouting off some rubbish about Vinnie Jones being there somewhere, **** hell just get on with the boxing.

I really hate sky's boxing, give me BoxNation anyday.

Oh and also add to the fact that Kell Brook v Frankie Gavin is going to be PPV, no thanks not for me

The card goes something like

Kell Brook v Frankie Gavin (I'm not paying to watch that blue nose word removed)

Kevin Mitchell v Jorge Linares (I'm not paying to watch a washed up cockney either)

Anthony Joshua MBE v Kevin Johnson (I'm not knocking Joshua but he has never fought anyone at all, I'm not paying to watch someone the first time they step it up a notch)

In my opinion sky are going to kill boxing making rubbish like this PPV

This warrington is a bit wild isn't he=

Flung the bloke into the corner like it was wrestling what a badass

This Tubieron wow what a durable fighter has taken so much punishment but is still throwing back

Edited by AshVilla

So what did we learn from last nights boxing.

Peter Quillin, although very powerful, is lazy and can't set up his offense at all, offering no jab and very few angles, he really is only a counter puncher with low output. His second knockdown of Lee was never a knockdown, it was a trip. It was nice to see Lee downing Quillin with a right hook, it's just a shame that he couldn't hurt Quillin more, I hate Quillin, is everything that's wrong with the sport. Without that incorrectly ruled knockdown, Lee would have won, but at least this way he keeps his title. 

It was a decent fight, but both were a little too weary of the others power.

Danny Garcia - looked like shit again. Put a boxer-mover in front of him at you really see what a slow plodder this guy is. He was made to miss by Peterson for the first half of the fight then Peterson turned it up in the second half, applying pressure, walking Garcia down and beating the shit out of him. Peterson started too slow and probably gave early rounds away based on Garcia appearing to hold the centre of the ring and forcing the action.

That said, IMO Peterson should have won this fight, he was much better than Garcia, it was close due only to Peterson's inactivity early on, but I still felt he won it by a couple of rounds.

Garcia is boxing's teflon man, another win for him despite looking like shit and being out boxed, just like the Herrera and Theophane fights. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Great fight!

Provodnikov has a granite chin i'll give him that, didn't even look rocked at any time really despite Mathyyse throwing bombs most of the fight.

Matthyyse fought a great fight for me, never static and didn't allow Prov to back him into the corner at any time (think he needs some lessons from GGG)

I scored it 116-112 personally, just look at the 2 fighters at the end, one of them clearly lost.

I've been saying for long time that Matthysse is a good boxer and last night it was a boxer-puncher against a crude brawler who doesn't set his offence up well at all. At times it was a clinic, the only thing that Matthysse did wrong was head hunt too much. When he wants to be he's a very good body puncher but he doesn't invest downstairs enough, if he did, Provodnikov would not have come back into the fight later on and Matthysse may well have got him out of there. 

Provo has a great chin, he took a scary amount of punishment, and certainly had his moments and hurt Matthysse in the 11th round with that big shot that wobbled him, but I totally agree with the 116-112 score, that's how I had it. Matthysse wrongly went into cruise control due to bad advice from his corner, most of the round Provo won were swing rounds whilst most of the rounds Matthysse won were very clear. 

Oh, it was great to see boxing biggest fraud Chavez Jr get stopped last night. Fonfara beat the absolute shit out of him and it was great to hear the Mexican fans chant 'puta' during Chavez's post fight interview. And yeah, that was the most ridiculous interview I've ever heard, it's a must watch LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Â