The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Looking forward to Kovalev vs Pascal later, the build up has been pretty heated. I expect Kovalev to knock Pascal out since Pascal is too open and hit-able, but Pascal is good enough to have his moments and perhaps cause a couple of scares along the way. The only question mark about Kovalev is how good his chin is, Pascal will likely give him a decent check, Pascal of course being very explosive and hits way harder than his KO ratio suggests.

Pascal can't really counter punch so as long as Kovalev bring a lot of pressure and higher volume (e.g. the sort of volume he showed against Cleverley) then he will definitely win impressively. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Very good fight, as predicted Pascal had some good moments where he was lands some very explosive shots to Kovalev's head and one very good body shot but Kovalev absorbed them well and to me didn't look too hurt. 

Outside of round 5 (which Pascal clearly won), Kovalev pretty much beat the shit out of him. Some have complained about the stoppage but Pascal was wobbling around the ring like a drunk before Kovalev got the last two shots in, good stoppage IMO.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

In completely unrelated news, I've just spent a (very) long weekend in London with Mrs The_Rev. She didn't say anything about the fact our hotel was 200 yards away from the York Hall. :lol:

Comfortable win for Brook against Dan then?

Pretty much yes.

Jo Jo Dan is a trickly little boxer who's a southpaw that can fight out of a bit of a 'shell'. He's what you'd call a 'shoeshine' puncher, he flurries and let's his hands go quickly in combination but with very little power behind it. 

Brook is a very hard puncher with a very authoritative jab when he uses it, I expect him to establish a jab early and walk down Dan once he realises he's an arm puncher, I expect Brook to stop him later on in the fight.

What is interesting is to see how Brook looks after his very bad injury. I don't think Dan has anywhere near enough to exploit any lingering issues, but I would be quite cautious, if I were a betting man, to back Brook against higher level competition, it's the sort of injury that could derail him. 

Comfortable win for Brook against Dan then?

Pretty much yes.

Jo Jo Dan is a trickly little boxer who's a southpaw that can fight out of a bit of a 'shell'. He's what you'd call a 'shoeshine' puncher, he flurries and let's his hands go quickly in combination but with very little power behind it.

Brook is a very hard puncher with a very authoritative jab when he uses it, I expect him to establish a jab early and walk down Dan once he realises he's an arm puncher, I expect Brook to stop him later on in the fight.

What is interesting is to see how Brook looks after his very bad injury. I don't think Dan has anywhere near enough to exploit any lingering issues, but I would be quite cautious, if I were a betting man, to back Brook against higher level competition, it's the sort of injury that could derail him.

Im more looking forward to seeing local lad Kal Yafai fight again tbh.

Kell Brook will win within 8 rounds.

Well his injury was a deep gash to his leg and bloodloss?

The muscle appears to have healed well and i'm sure the blood will have replenished by now i can't really see that injury being much of a hindrance 

What I find odd about the injury was it was incurred in a known (wanted) fugitive's home. On what planet as a world boxing champion would it be a good idea to enter those premises? Maybe Kell has had one too many blows to the head in order to think it was sensible!

• Like 1

What I find odd about the injury was it was incurred in a known (wanted) fugitive's home. On what planet as a world boxing champion would it be a good idea to enter those premises? Maybe Kell has had one too many blows to the head in order to think it was sensible!

Did it really? I didn't know that, I knew it was the second time he had been stabbed but I thought it happened in a nightclub

Yep, it's all very bizarre. Amazing how Hearn and Sky have pulled the wool over many people's eyes, even the event is called 'unbreakable'. 

I like Kell Brook as a boxer, but as a person is a complete and utter category five moron. 

I see Frankie Gavin is on the undercard what happened to him

His career doesn't seem to have taken off like the rest of the british guys around him wasn't he destined for big things?

I always thought he was overrated, he's too powder puff to get to the top. 

He was a regular in the Bulls Head (Moseley) when I used to frequent there, let's just say he had a lot in common with Ricky Hatton (post retirement Hatton) - and that's why he hasn't progressed any further than domestic level. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â