The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

How does a difference in scoring like this happen?

On the same bill, welterweight Timothy Bradley was held to a split draw by Diego Chaves, despite appearing to outwork the Argentine.

Bradley was returning after a rematch points defeat by Manny Pacquiao, but endured more frustration as one judge scored it 119-109 for him, with another carding a 114-114 tally, while a third gave it 116-112 to Chaves. 

Dunno, but Bradley has profited from some ridiculous judging in the past against Pacquiao (and I think Junior Witter beat him too) so what goes around comes around. 

Edit:  

Boxrec gives the scores as 115-113 Bradley,  112-116 Chaves and 114-114 draw.   Where does the 119-109 score come from? 

edit #2

ESPN gave it 119-109 to Bradley.  It's the only source I can see with that score.

Edited by The_Rev

Beautiful performance by Amir Khan in outclassing Alexander . Virgil Hunter has brought a much needed asset to Khans undoubted boxing skills , contolled aggression , no longer the amateur reaching that once proved so costly , now it's in and out , and whats more , he has become so relaxed . If he can continue in this way then he"s a match for anybody , trust me .

How does a difference in scoring like this happen?

On the same bill, welterweight Timothy Bradley was held to a split draw by Diego Chaves, despite appearing to outwork the Argentine.

Bradley was returning after a rematch points defeat by Manny Pacquiao, but endured more frustration as one judge scored it 119-109 for him, with another carding a 114-114 tally, while a third gave it 116-112 to Chaves. 

It was ridiculous. Personally I scored it 117-111 for Bradley, it was a good fight with pathetic scoring. Bradley the absolute clear winner, no case could be made for Chaves winning.

Beautiful performance by Amir Khan in outclassing Alexander . Virgil Hunter has brought a much needed asset to Khans undoubted boxing skills , contolled aggression , no longer the amateur reaching that once proved so costly , now it's in and out , and whats more , he has become so relaxed . If he can continue in this way then he"s a match for anybody , trust me .

He's always been in and out, he's just a bit more controlled, but even last night he was showing his chin whenever he was 'in', the difference being that Alexander wasn't prepared to punch with Khan, i.e. to throw when Khan is jumping in, like Garcia did, like Julio Diaz did like two fights ago where he had Khan on the canvas and hurt multiple times. 

Anyone who punches with Khan has a great chance. I do believe that Mayweather would struggle greatly with Khan at this stage but someone like Pacquiao would beat him.

Love Khan mouthing off that Mayweather has no-one left to fight but him now. I think you have forgotten Mr Pacquaio who would be a much bigger draw for the American public Mr Khan.

I'd suggest you get back in your box and fight Kell Brook in the UK in the meantime and then challenge the winner of Money v Pacman as at that point there may be no other fights for them, but by claiming you are the only option at the moment you are making yourself look a bit of a tit Amir!

My end of year awards

Boxer of the year - Either Roman Gonzalez or Terrance Crawford. Gonzalez has been one of the best 'small' men for years and this year became the flyweight champion of division by stopping a top flyweight Yagashi in Japan, he also has some other very good wins this year. Crawford schools Burns in Scotland, stops Gamboa and outclasses the tricky Ray Beltran. I'm inclined to give it to Crawford, although I'm gonna reserve judgement as to whether he'll become one of the pound for pound elite (as many are saying) since it's clear that he has enjoyed an enormous natural size advantage over a lot of his opponents this year, he pretty much steps into the ring a fully fledged welterweight. 

Fight of year - Probably Matthysse vs Molina. This was as bloody a war as I've seen in a long time. Both guys exchanged huge shots, with Matthysse visiting the canvas twice and Molina touching down once before getting ground down into dust in round 10. It was a brutal, edge of the seat fight with plenty of twists. 

Chump of the year - It's either Danny Garcia or Adnois Stevenson. Both had very good 2013's, both had terrible 2014's, both guys stock has plummeted. Stevenson jumped a network in order to duck Kovalev. His contingency was that Hopkins was on the network he jumped to. However Hopkins goes to HBO to fight Kovalev, leaving Stevenson out in the cold. Jean Pascal has recently done something similar - opting to fight Kovalev over Stevenson. This meant Stevenson had to fight fringe contenders such as Fonfara and some Russia guy the other day. Stevenson didn't look great in either fight, Fonfana gave him lots of problems and had him on the deck, his timing looked off against the Russian, although the KO was spectacular. 

Garcia fights Maurcio Herrera and Rod Salka in 2014. Herrera a crafty boxer-mover gets robbed on the cards, Rod Salka was ranked outside of every organisations top 50 and was a career lightweight. The fight was an utter farce with Salka getting brutally knocked out. So my award goes to Garcia. 

Knockout of the year - Has to be Andy Lee's stunning KO of John Jackson (son of Julian). Jackson was putting a whooping on him over a good 5 rounds, it was Andy Lee who looked to be on the verge of being stopped when, badly hurt, managed to pull off a stunning one punch KO to send Jackson down face first onto the canvas. He also pulled out a similar stoppage to become the WBO champ later on in the year. 

Overall, this wasn't a great year for boxing. There was a distinct lack of big fights, it was the year of the duck, with 'top' names either choosing easy fights or, in the case of someone like Golovkin, unable to get the 'big' fights he deserves. It was also a year where a lot of high profile robberies took place.

However 2015 should deliver more, with Top Rank and Golden Boy seemingly friends again, we should expect to see the stables of both promotional outfits fighting each other.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Knockout of the year - Has to be Andy Lee's stunning KO of John Jackson (son of Julian). Jackson was putting a whooping on him over a good 5 rounds, it was Andy Lee who looked to be on the verge of being stopped when, badly hurt, managed to pull off a stunning one punch KO to send Jackson down face first onto the canvas. He also pulled out a similar stoppage to become the WBO champ later on in the year. 

Just watched that again, it's a knockout for the ages.  I like how Lee just knew he had knocked Jackson spark out as soon as the punch connected.   He just walked off with his arms raised without even stopping to look back at his opponent.  What a punch.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy is one to watch, he looks simply awesome, Naoya Inoue - 21 years old, 8 pro fight, already won two world titles in two weight classes, arguably fighter of the year with his achievements having knocked out world class opposition like Adrian Hernandez and Omar Narvaez. Yes Narvaez is on the old side but he had only previously lost on points to Donaire, Inoue destroys him in two.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvV0HBVDZbE

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I caught some clips of Rigondeaux this weekend.  Knocked down twice, though the first may have been a flash knockdown and the second one looked like a push.  Won by stoppage.   Possibly a good thing too?  It should make him more marketable if he is seen as an exciting fighter rather than just an exceptionally good one. 

I caught some clips of Rigondeaux this weekend.  Knocked down twice, though the first may have been a flash knockdown and the second one looked like a push.  Won by stoppage.   Possibly a good thing too?  It should make him more marketable if he is seen as an exciting fighter rather than just an exceptionally good one. 

Rigo got hurt in that fight a couple of times, the first knock down seemed to shake him for the rest of the round, it was a shot right on the chin as he was pulling back after trying to spin his opponent, it's a move Rigo has been caught doing before. I felt he was hurt at the time of the second knockdown by prior punches before the push.

Rigo has been downed by Donaire and Cordoba and I seem to remember Marroquin shaking him up a couple of times in their fight. He can definitely be caught, and that tends to be a from a momentary lapse of concentration. Although his chin isn't glass I don't think it's particularly great.

There's been talk of a fight with Santa Cruz so hopefully that happens, Santa Cruz is very big for a super bantam so should be a good fight.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Murray Vs. Golovkin is going to be on Channel 5 which I think is a promising development - it's good I think to see boxing back on terrestrial TV with an opportunity for most people to see Glolovkin live. Hopefully this'll get good viewer numbers and we can continue to see boxing make its way back into the mainstream to some extent rather than hiding in satellite land.

It depends on how they sell it.  I hope C5 don't take the ITV route and back "our boy" just because he was born here.   Golovkin is one of the most exciting fighters we have had in the past five years or so and C5 should invite the casual fan to enjoy watching him. 

Â