The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

How can DeGale be fighting an unnamed? How do you prepare if you don't know who you're fighting?

Well the rumour has it that Eddie Hearne has told Froch that this is a magnificent opportunity for him to get himself on the undercard for potentially one of the biggest PPV's England has ever known, just as long as he doesn't mind Cleverley and Bellew stealing the limelight

Its not just PPV for the main fight though its for the event as a whole. As well as Cleverly v Bellew you have Joshua v Sprott which is a decent step up for Joshua, James Degale is on the bill against an unnamed top 5 fighter, Quiqq is defending his pretend world title against a world ranked opponent, and crolla v kevin mitchell is also rumoured.

The best PPV held 4 years ago contained no main event and took place in Brum...the magnificent seven.

That's a decent card if it was on Sky Sports 1 but for a PPV it's utter, utter bollocks.

Joshua vs a shot to shit 39 year old Sprott - who cares

With DeGale it's unlikely that he'll be fighting a genuine top 5 fighter. It's more likely he'll be fighting a bum who is ranked 5 by some ridiculous sanctioning body like the WBC rather than someone ranked in the top 5 in say, Ring magazine's top 5 at super middle weight. 

Anyone seen the video of mayweather arguing on some woman whilst getting his hair cut because she doesn't know who he is?

I'll see if I can get it on here but I'm on me phone at the minute so I can't do it just yet.

It's quite funny

You can stick a fork in Ricky Burns, he's finished. He's too big for lightweight and can't make it any more so moved up, but at Junior Welterweight he looked fat and slow, and since he's always been a powder puff puncher he's not going to have the power to hurt anyone at the heavier weight. 

I never really liked him, always thought he was overrated and fortunate to be a two weight world champ, capitalising on the fact that there's four 'recognised' world titles up for grabs per division. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saunders offered Eubank Jr £20k not to take the fight before theirs - interesting that the suggestion from the Saunders camp seems to be that they half expect Eubank to pull out of their fight. I can't see that myself, but I'm really looking forward to this one.

Good fights tonight. 

Golovkin is becoming must watch TV and, in many ways, is reminiscent of a young Mike Tyson in the sense that he's just knocking everyone out in spectacular fashion. Rubio is experienced, crafty and has some power in both hands, although I don't expect him to give GGG anymore than 2-3 difficult rounds, surely GGG stops him. 

The real fight of the night is Donaire vs Walters. Walters is a big featherweight with explosive power, he punches very hard and comes forward looking for the KO. Donaire isn't really big for featherweight having made his mark in the lighter divisions. A lot of people are picking the younger Walters to win, Donaire has looked a little bit gun shy since losing to Rigondeaux and there's also question marks about his viability as a legit. Featherweight. That said, he still has a lot of power and I do think Walters is open to the counter. Can't wait for this fight. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Donaire was looking really sharp until he got dropped in round 3, after that point Walters really imposed his size and strength on him. Donaire still has power and speed, but it's clear he can't compete with the bigger guys at Featherweight. If he continues he should drop down to Super Bantamweight, Featherweight is a bridge too far.

GGG, well, scary stuff really. Rubio is sturdy and crafty but GGG just obliterated him. The way he set up that uppercut with the left hand was brilliant and the left hook that finished was thrown from such a ridiculous angle that you wonder how he could generate so much power on it.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

It's got to be timing, he manages to whip his elbow around with such ferocity that it generates incredible power.  Every bit of his body from his ankle to his wrist is going into the punch.  I'm not sure you can teach that. 

http://youtu.be/fMsON57EZbs?list=PL4892D2D4D615ECE5

HBO have got the finishes up on their YouTube channel.  With GGG that's all you really need to see.  :blink:

Edited by The_Rev

Technically his footwork is supreme. On top of that he has the sort of 'off balance' power that very few have (Kovalev is another example of this although their styles are different) - by that I mean he often doesn't need to have his feet obviously set in order to throw power punches that hurt you (e.g. see the Geale knockout). I think he opitimises the phrase 'heavy hands', some of the punches that hurt his opponents appear to be taps, and his jab is pretty destructive. 

He's a genetic freak. 

GGG's manager has came out and said he would love to come to England to fight Froch. I would love to see that fight but dont think Froch wants it.

Would be interesting to see him step down a division to fight canelo and cotto. Personally think he would destroy cotto but the canelo fight would be very interesting.

GGG's manager has came out and said he would love to come to England to fight Froch. I would love to see that fight but dont think Froch wants it.

Would be interesting to see him step down a division to fight canelo and cotto. Personally think he would destroy cotto but the canelo fight would be very interesting.

I think he'd destroy Canelo too, Canelo has the perfect style for GGG. 

Â