Video Replay For Officiating

maqroll

Do You Support Video Replay for Officials?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Support Video Replay for Officials?

• Yes
    • No

But part of the tradition of football is that the manager has no real influence on the what happens in the game, save for deciding who plays.

Additionally, I can't think of a reasonable cost that could be assessed against the manager to discourage excessive appeals. Removing a substitution is the proposal I've heard, but how many managers consistently make use of the allotted substitutions?

How far down the footballing system would video technology be applied though? Surely a league title deciding decision in the 3rd division of the North Birmingham Under 13s blind girls schools is just as important to them as some random decision during the league season? If it can't be applied to all, then I don't think it's right that it's put into place at all.

But part of the tradition of football is that the manager has no real influence on the what happens in the game, save for deciding who plays.

Additionally, I can't think of a reasonable cost that could be assessed against the manager to discourage excessive appeals. Removing a substitution is the proposal I've heard, but how many managers consistently make use of the allotted substitutions?

One challenge per half is not excessive. That is why the manager would have to be wise in his usage of the challenge.

You seem to think that the team who loses the challenge should be penalized.....I disagree. If they lose the challenge, the opposing team gains possession of the ball, and the game continues....

As to your point about managers having no real influence on what happens in the game........ :?

How far down the footballing system would video technology be applied though? Surely a league title deciding decision in the 3rd division of the North Birmingham Under 13s blind girls schools is just as important to them as some random decision during the league season? If it can't be applied to all, then I don't think it's right that it's put into place at all.

They don't have video replays at every level of Rugby Union either. Doesn't mean that at the higher level they don't use it.

Or video appeals at local tennis tournaments, or Hawkeye for village cricket matches.

They don't have video replays at every level of Rugby Union either. Doesn't mean that at the higher level they don't use it.

Or video appeals at local tennis tournaments, or Hawkeye for village cricket matches.

Fair point, but equal laws from top to bottom is supposedly an important characteristic of football.

The poll needs many more options..

It's not a straight yes or no..

I would like to see a referee with video replay constantly available, who can contact the ref at any time..

If the referee gets a decision wrong, the video referee can get the referee to stop the game and send the game back to the point the mistake was made.

What I don't want to see if the referee refusing to make any decision himself without consulting the video. Refs should carry on as normal, and no news is good news. If the video referee feels the game needs to be brought back he can contact the ref and say 'The penalty you turned down 20 seconds WAS a handballl, recommend bringing play back for the penalty'. For instances where the ball is out of play and the game is stopped anyway, the video can be used so long as it doesn't take too long.

Don't want to see a Rugby/Cricket scenario where every decision is looked at from 412 different angles before a panel of 21 neutral, randomly selected referees make a petition to parliament to officially give their decision as an 11-10 majority decision in favour of awarding Portsmouth the throw-in on the half way line.

The problem with the challenge system is that it would be used cynically.

For example:

Say Villa have a corner in the dying minutes and the score at 1-1. Villa throw everyone up front in an effort to get a winner. The ball, however is cleared and the opposition have a break, 3 on 1. O'Neill thows a challenge flag, citing that a player was fouled during the corner and the ref halts the game to check the replay, costing the opposition their chance to score.

The only way round this (thatI can see) would either be:

(i) That you can only challenge when the ball is out of play (in which case, in the above scenario, the ref might have to 'chalk a goal off' if the break was successful but there did turn out to be a minor foul)

(ii) Only allow the ref to halt the game for a challenge in certain situations (say the last 2 minutes like the nfl) but then this will mean that the ref would be under pressure to review everything in case he dismisses a genuine discrepancy.

I agree with the above. Isn't a straight Yes or No for me. Goal line techonlogy I am for I think, some sort of sensor or something but I think anything else will just disrupt the game IMO.

I can't see replays disrupting the game anymore than some idiot rolling around in mock-agony after a defender breathes on him, which seems to be the main reason games are disrupted these days.

If the referee gets a decision wrong, the video referee can get the referee to stop the game and send the game back to the point the mistake was made.

I thought this was a simple way and then I thought about the amount of decisions that took 4/5 looks to make my mind up in close proxomity, decisions could take upto and over a minute in some cases which is far too long.

Â