General Chat

Stevo985

I'll happily drive either, but I prefer driving manual.

Don't know why. I'm baffled.

I prefer manual because I like driving. An auto does it for you. That's not fun for me. Plus it means you're not getting the most out of the engine. Quite apart from auto being a typically thirstier and more expensive to fix transmission too. It's just expensive laziness and less enjoyable. Unless you need a free hand to drink coffee all the time then I'm not sure why you'd prefer automatic.

How much quicker do you think I'd be able to pass in an automatic?

You get the biting point within a few lessons like it's 2nd nature. Most of driving is roles of the road and stuff like that anyway. It wouldn't even be that quicker.

The lad that is being questioned in the Georgia Williams murder lives round the corner from me and has served me in our local petrol station on a number of occasions. Its all a bit creepy, eerie and ultimately very sad.

Edited by Houlston

Its all a bit creepy, eerie and ultimately very sad.

Maybe it could do with a renovation. Y'know the sort, new pumps, a decent shop, larger forecourt and better lighting. Sort it right out.
  • Like 1

How much quicker do you think I'd be able to pass in an automatic?

You get the biting point within a few lessons like it's 2nd nature. Most of driving is roles of the road and stuff like that anyway. It wouldn't even be that quicker.
Changing gears is a chore.

Edit: I'm learning driving right now and the instructors insist i change gears all the **** time :angry:

Edited by legov

Its all a bit creepy, eerie and ultimately very sad.

Maybe it could do with a renovation. Y'know the sort, new pumps, a decent shop, larger forecourt and better lighting. Sort it right out.

:) Nah on that side its decent, the owner is a bit moody mind.

Perhaps this whole auto vs manual thing depends on what you are driving?

I don't mean that in a poncy way (I think). I've mostly driven manuals and they've included everything from 60's convertible to current MPV. The majority are ok, some are good, some are a chore. Anybody that thinks a manual transmission Mazda 323 is fun or responsive hasn't driven many cars. Equally, my current car is an auto, responds to the way I press the accelerator and gets the gears right every time. I've got a little button that can make it respond standard, comfy or sporty, and if I really feel the need, I can knock the gearstick and switch to clutchless manual. If I want to, I can still beat stuff off the lights at a standing start, but in reality, it's very rare I feel the need to exaggerate my cock size now I'm over 22 and no longer driving an Astra.

That's not meant as a posers answer, though I appreciate it might read that way. It's just to say the auto vs manual arguement is largely bogus. My auto drives just fine, and I get to drink coffee at junctions.

I'll happily drive either, but I prefer driving manual.

Don't know why. I'm baffled.

I prefer manual because I like driving. An auto does it for you. That's not fun for me. Plus it means you're not getting the most out of the engine. Quite apart from auto being a typically thirstier and more expensive to fix transmission too. It's just expensive laziness and less enjoyable. Unless you need a free hand to drink coffee all the time then I'm not sure why you'd prefer automatic.

If you were commuting in a busy city or sat on the m6 car park, constantly pushing the clutch in and out and going from 1st and only to 2nd an auto is far far better. With the driving thing I kind of get but your average driver isn't good enough to utilise the gears on a car good enough for it to be beneficial. Your average family, small car wouldnt benefit from a manual much either and most people don't drive fast sports cars, where a manual may be a benefit. But even then many expensive sports cars are fitted with flappy paddle shifts.

Manuals are beyond over rated, clutches go far more often than a modern auto box and some manufacturers are now claiming that their auto is more economical than the manual.

Driving for fun is a very rare thing now due to traffic congestion and speed cameras everywhere. The manual box will eventually die out.

Driving for fun is a very rare thing now due to traffic congestion and speed cameras everywhere. The manual box will eventually die out.

That's entirely down to location. On my commute I see no traffic and not a single working speed camera (I see a burnt out one). I agree that if I was on a motorway going from 1st gear to 2nd and back to 1st again then auto probably makes more sense but then in that situation a car full stop doesn't make sense. But then if that's all I was doing, I'd probably look for an alternative mode of transport if at all possible.

That's not meant as a posers answer, though I appreciate it might read that way. It's just to say the auto vs manual arguement is largely bogus. My auto drives just fine, and I get to drink coffee at junctions.

I can drive coffee at junctions too. Why wouldn't I be able to?

*drink coffee, even.

Edited by StefanAVFC

jeez, all those things in my list and you pick the coffee reference I was ripping from BOF's post

If you can drink coffee whilst changing gear and pulling off from a junction in a manual and retain control of your car, you're a better driver than me and I concede the point happily and gracefully.

That's entirely down to location. On my commute I see no traffic and not a single working speed camera (I see a burnt out one). I agree that if I was on a motorway going from 1st gear to 2nd and back to 1st again then auto probably makes more sense. But then if that's all I was doing, I'd probably look for an alternative mode of transport if at all possible.

Yeah I realise that and you're very lucky, in fact I hate you for it ha ha, but I wasn't really aiming the post specifically at you just generalising some points. I was always of the mindset that manual was better but then I got flappy paddles and never looked back.

You're not pulling away at a junction all the time. And anyway after years of driving, the biting point becomes 2nd nature so pulling away (I stay in 1st and keep the clutch down so I don't need to change gear) and retaining control is a piece of piss. 

Â