General Chat

Stevo985

Loads of geographical features have names which mean what they are. River Ouse just means 'River Water' for example.

Mentioning the Avon, the Welsh word for river is actually 'afon', pronounced pretty much the same as Avon. Etymology can be quite interesting with things like that.

I live by Bredon Hill by the River Avon.

Bre means hill. Don means hill. Hill means hill. Avon means river. River means river. Meaning I live on the side of the hill hill hill by the river river. Imaginative.

I heard it was because Celts were approached by the Saxons asking what the river was called so they answered "Avon". The Saxons then assumed it was called the "River Avon".

I live by Bredon Hill by the River Avon.

Bre means hill. Don means hill. Hill means hill. Avon means river. River means river. Meaning I live on the side of the hill hill hill by the river river. Imaginative.

I heard it was because Celts were approached by the Saxons asking what the river was called so they answered "Avon". The Saxons then assumed it was called the "River Avon".

That's like the story - probably apocryphal - that the early settlers in Australia saw a large jumping creature and asked some aboriginal bloke what it was called. He replied: "Kangaroo". Which means something like: "Haven't got the faintest idea, mate".

And (allegedly) most native American tribe names (Cheyenne, etc.) mean "people" or "human beings".

Stuck in Newport hospital waiting for the mrs.

There really are no expletives to describe what a shithole Newport and it's hospital is. I would advise that none of you ever visit.

There really are no expletives to describe what a shithole Newport and it's hospital is. I would advise that none of you ever visit.

Let's have a Newport vs. Bradford deathmatch.

Walking through the shitty centre today when a bunch of pissed up BNP type thugs roll out of a pub and start baiting passing Asian lads. Inevitably, fight breaks out. No police anywhere to be seen. It got broken up before it escalated too badly, but it looks like it's going to be a long summer.

How I hate this place.

My boyhood town in Kent, having been dragged from the lovely midlands was Tenterden. Or Tenet Warra Den roughly translated as "Pig grazing land for the men of Thanet"

Worse than Dunstable and Daventry?

:shock:

Let's have a Newport vs. Bradford deathmatch.

Walking through the shitty centre today when a bunch of pissed up BNP type thugs roll out of a pub and start baiting passing Asian lads. Inevitably, fight breaks out. No police anywhere to be seen. It got broken up before it escalated too badly, but it looks like it's going to be a long summer.

How I hate this place.

I'll see your racial hatred and raise you a place whereby going out in a shirt with shoes is enough to see you 'started on'... Though I don't think the English accent helped either.

I don't like Wales. I got a bit of abuse for saying that on here a while back, but whilst it is a beautiful country, it is filled with nasty locals. And horrible places like Swansea, Newport, Neath, etc. Northern Wales I quite like, and Monmouth is a nice enough town.

I'm from Solihull. Which uninterestingly is because of the "soily hill" St. Alphege's church is built on.

I'm also from Solihull and only recently found out people who reside there are known as 'Silhillians'.

I've lived in the area all my life and it was the first time I'd ever heard that, but apparently it is quite common? :?

Used to have a caravan in Tenby. Surprisingly a lot to do, take 3/4 mates up there, there was decent enough theme park, Paintballing, mini golf, proper golf, little park to do baseball hitting, bumber boats. Bowling/crystal maze game. Tennis, beaches etc...also our old neighbours were welsh and they own house in wales about 20 minutes from our sit, nice house. Used to go fishing in the day and then eat that on the night, also took us to private beaches on their boat with their family. In fact, I wish I lived there!

Â