Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

Glaston do you think Arry is a dodgy feck?

OK, 2nd time around, let me answer your question: the answer is "not particularly" and "not any more than the average manager."

Why? Because half the bias against him is simply because of his appearance and facial mannerisms - twitching etc- all of which results from a very bad car accident in which his fellow passenger died. But many folk are superficial beings: show em' a bashed up, twitchy face and they'll assume the owner is dodgy.

Some of the remaining bias stems from his east end London accent: again the superficial folk fall into easy stereoptypes: think either cockey gangster of popular myth or Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses, or a mixture of both.

Finally, most of the remaining bias stems from the Inland Revenue charges against him - over very little money as it happens, especially for someone who is already very rich and continues to earn a big whack every year. A reasonable person might wonder if he could really be bothered to try and con the taxman over peanuts. But the more important point is this: in law he's presumed innocent until proven guilty, and he's been found guilty of precisely nothing as yet. The problem is again with the superficial folk, who assume the opposite: guilty until proven innocent, no smoke without fire and all the rest of the tired old cliches that form the bedrock of their shallow mindss

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol a real desperation signing Vdv was,We all know Spurs love to play 4-4-2 so who's he gonna replace? Modric?

It's like Levy was 'Wtf Vdv for 8 mill ill have me a bit on that cheap as chips mate',Even though its not where they need to improve.

There isn't a single area in mostly all teams where improvement is not possible, regardless of the fact that improvement in some areas may be needed more than in others. Do you turn down an improvement in one area just because it's not possible, in the prevailing circumstances, to improve another area? Well, you might if you are an idiot.

In a 4-4-2 I can recall plenty of games last season where Spurs played with Jenas in central attacking midfield and Modric in LM. Now we can, where desired, do the same except with VdV instead of Jenas. That's an upgrade, and a significant one at that. And that's only in relation to 4-4-2: bring in other formations, or play VdV as a 2nd striker, and the improved/extedned options reach out further.

Some of you on VT are just plain crackers: a player like VdV joins Spurs and you attempt to write it off as "disappointing for Spurs fans" or as having little value for the team/squad. Get a grip FFS: it's VdV we're talking about here, not some journeyman hack.

I'd have to agree with Glaston there. A lot of VTers were masterbating furiously last summer at the thought of Sneijder or VDV coming to Villa. I'd say they have got a bit of a bargain and I am very jealous. A big step up from Jenas who IMO is a bit part player at best.

No one's saying VdV isn't a great player and isn't a bargain. he is.

What people are saying is that isn't the place Spurs need strengthening and as a whole the transfer window was disappointing for Spurs. If I was a Spurs fan I'd have expected better with the pull of CL football.

The best thing about the VdV signing, in my opinion, is that they can give him some game time and if he's a success they can sell him for a profit, or sell someone like (the still criminally overrated) Luka Modric for even more of a profit (depending on how good VdV turns out to be).

And to be honest I reckon that's the reason they bought him, the potential profit as opposed to a genuine addition to the team.

I'd have to agree with Glaston there. A lot of VTers were masterbating furiously last summer at the thought of Sneijder or VDV coming to Villa. I'd say they have got a bit of a bargain and I am very jealous. A big step up from Jenas who IMO is a bit part player at best.

first bit, difference is vdv is the type of player villa have been screaming out for for years, an attacking midfielder who can link the midfield and the strikers, he's not what spurs were screaming out for and IMO he would be a better signing for us than he is for them

however the 2nd bit i agree with

at the same time i completely agree with what i believe BOF was trying to get at a couple of pages back, CL money and prestige, have they taken the opportunity to pull away? IMO no way, bought one very good player who plays in a position where they already have very good players, 2 subs and 1 reserve

IMO they havent really signed anyone that they could have signed without CL

van der Vaart endears himself to his new fans

Van der Vaart: United on another level

New Tottenham signing Rafael van der Vaart reckons Manchester United are the only club that can be compared with Real Madrid.

Dutch midfielder Van der Vaart completed a surprise deadline day move from the Bernabeu to Spurs.

He said: "I could never play for another club in Spain.

"If you are leaving Real Madrid, there is only one club that you can join that is not a step down - and that is Manchester United."

The Reds have been linked with 27-year-old Van der Vaart in the past, but the midfielder says he is "totally happy" with his move to White Hart Lane.

Nicely played, Rafa.

United comments are old, don't know if he said it to convince the media that he was happy at Real or whether he was angling for a move to United. What does it matter though ...

These are not comments made after he moved to Tottenham, everything I've read points to him being happy with the move and eager to get his career back on track.

... CL money and prestige, have they taken the opportunity to pull away? IMO no way, bought one very good player who plays in a position where they already have very good players, 2 subs and 1 reserve

You're forgetting that Spurs could not be sure of qualifying for the CL until after the 2nd leg against Young Boys: August 25th - just one week before the window closed. Most transfer deals are complex things to arrange: very few get sorted so quickly: the deal for VdV was a real exception.

Sure you can try and line up prospective deals based on IF you qualify, but plenty of clubs and players won't hang around for your convenience. And even if they do hang around, the selling club/player will often try and change the deal financially at the last minute because, they'll argue, you now have CL money.

Spurs could have signed Fabiano - a fee had been agreed, but the player suddenly demanded a 5 year contract at 90k per week. For a player who's nearly 30 that doesn't make financial sense for Spurs and would have taken the total commitment for Spurs for him to over 40m. So Levy walked away, rightly choosing to keep his powder dry for January.

Anyhow, you're dismissing Gallas - a player that Arsenal tried to keep by offering him a new contract - as if he's some no-mark, when clearly he isn't. The same with Sandro: you don't get to be Brazilian U-21 captain for nothing.

You are also exaggerating the attractive effect of qualifying for the CL just once, as compared to season after season like Chelsea or Arsenal. Doing it once helps, for sure, but is'nt some magic bullet that solves all problems.

VdV + Gallas + Sandro + Pletikosa: hell yes, I'll more than settle for that.

... IMO they havent really signed anyone that they could have signed without CL

"Van der Vaart admitted the lure of Champions League football at White Hart Lane played a major role in his decision to join Spurs, but the 27-year-old knows he will have to earn his place in Redknapp's starting XI.

He added: "I don't think I am going to have any problems adapting in England to the style of play and the country I am living in.

"The fact that Tottenham were playing in the Champions League influenced my decision a great deal. ... "

It's amusing a small north London club that has spent 47 years not good enough to be classed as top flight standard have such a high opinion of themselves.

They've only won 2 of the main 2 competitions full stop - and managed the lofty total of one runner up in the big 2 competitions outside 1950 to 1963.

Bless them, they really do have ideas above their station!

http://www.the-football-club.com/big-clubs.html#INV

What people are saying is that isn't the place Spurs need strengthening and as a whole the transfer window was disappointing for Spurs. If I was a Spurs fan I'd have expected better with the pull of CL football.

Dissapointing but not a disaster although having read a few pages back I now see more clarity on the situation :D. A nice little bonus of VDV which was out of the blue. Quality player who should improve their team and whether they need him or not, he is surely going to be a regular.

I also would have expected better but we do not know circumstances surrounding Henry's ability to strengthen. I know where I would stregthen (I won't say because Glaston might shoot me down) but VDV would have been up there for me in that position simply for the European stage. Also, playing CL and as a supporter of an English football team your expectations are for players to come in who are established enough to compete for the further rounds of a CL competition. Spurs have little right for those players at this current moment in time IMO and are very fortunate to have signed VDV. As a Villa fan I'd kill for a player with that recognition aslong as he provided the fans with some scintillating football.

he hasnt turned up

Not true, just media making a spin of Redknapp's bad taste of humour.

He said he hadn't seen him yet, and that he might take the wife on a trip to Spain to see him play. Media made a big deal about Sandro not having turned up when he should have, which just isn't true.

Sandro has been a week or so at Spurs Lodge, there are pictures and interviews of him on the net. Do believe he's on international duty with Brazil at the moment, but he'll return for next week and will be available for selection for our next game.

It's amusing a small north London club that has spent 47 years not good enough to be classed as top flight standard have such a high opinion of themselves.

They've only won 2 of the main 2 competitions full stop - and managed the lofty total of one runner up in the big 2 competitions outside 1950 to 1963.

Bless them, they really do have ideas above their station!

http://www.the-football-club.com/big-clubs.html#INV

Some would say that FA cup has its value as well - it used to be one of the highest regarded tournament in football you know, and before Premier League started and created a set elite of clubs,Tottenham was the most winning team in its history.

Also the UEFA cup and Cup winner cup wasn't any less difficult to win back then than the European cup before it turned into Champions League.

Tottenham have always been a cup team, inconsistent and always entertaining. The glory team. The league honors at Tottenham isn't much to brag about for a club of Tottenham's size. I think most Spurs fans are aware of this, it's not where the club have made its fame to be honest.

What's the point in this though, it's been gone through several times already in this thread alone. And soon you'll have Glaston here pointing out that most of Villa's trophies were won in ancient times when the ball was made of wood.

Glaston do you think Arry is a dodgy feck?

OK, 2nd time around, let me answer your question: the answer is "not particularly" and "not any more than the average manager."

Why? Because half the bias against him is simply because of his appearance and facial mannerisms - twitching etc- all of which results from a very bad car accident in which his fellow passenger died. But many folk are superficial beings: show em' a bashed up, twitchy face and they'll assume the owner is dodgy.

Some of the remaining bias stems from his east end London accent: again the superficial folk fall into easy stereoptypes: think either cockey gangster of popular myth or Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses, or a mixture of both.

Finally, most of the remaining bias stems from the Inland Revenue charges against him - over very little money as it happens, especially for someone who is already very rich and continues to earn a big whack every year. A reasonable person might wonder if he could really be bothered to try and con the taxman over peanuts. But the more important point is this: in law he's presumed innocent until proven guilty, and he's been found guilty of precisely nothing as yet. The problem is again with the superficial folk, who assume the opposite: guilty until proven innocent, no smoke without fire and all the rest of the tired old cliches that form the bedrock of their shallow mindss

I don't think the reason harry is hated is anything to do with his facial gestures, yes they are easy to throw into insults, but nobody dislikes him for it.

Also, the cockney accent, there are loads of cockneys around who aren't hated!

He is hated for his rent a quote gob. anybody who is interviewed on his own door stop on xmas day by sky sports has issues. Its the way he openly talks about players from other clubs, slays into his own players, fans , fans of other teams, and always claims to be so hard done by and whiter than white. He seeks attention at all costs but then throws his rattle out of his pram when things don't go as he likes.

Without doubt he is his own self publicity machine. Also, does it really matter the size of his inland revenue problems, the fact was that he was caught having payments into off shore accounts.

The other thing is the state he leaves clubs in. yes , its the responsibility of the owners, but his transfer record is incredible. his purchases are:

West Ham (1994-2001)

Adrian Whitbread

Don Hutchison

Tony Cottee

Les Sealey

Mark Watson

Marc Rieper

Marco Boogers

Michael Hughes

Robbie Slater

Stan Lazaridis

Peter Shilton

Steve Mautone

Paulo Futre

Steve Jones

Florin Raducioiu

Richard Hall

John Harkes

Dani

Scott Mean

Mark Bowen

Paul Kitson

John Hartson

Steve Lomas

Eyal Berkovic

David Terrier

Craig Forrest

Hugo Porfirio

Mike Newell

Luke Weaver

David Unsworth

Ian Pearce

Andy Impey

Samassi Abou

Trevor Sinclair

Stephen Bywater

Marc Keller

Shaka Hislop

Ian Moore

Paulo Alves

Bernard Lama

Ian Wright

Neil Ruddock

Javier Margas

Gavin Holligan

Scott Minto

Paolo Di Canio

Marc-Vivien Foe

Jimmy Bullard

Jermain Defoe

Paulo Wanchope

Stuart Pearce

Igor Stimac

Gary Charles

Daniel Sjolund

Omer Riza

Ian Feuer

Frederic Kanoute

Nigel Winterburn

Davor Suker

Sasa Ilic

Rigobert Song

Titi Camara

Ragnvald Soma

Christian Dailly

Svetoslav Todorov

Hayden Foxe

Christian Bassila

Darren Peacock

Kaba Diawara

Hannu Tihinen

Sebastien Schemmel

Portsmouth (2002-2004)

Svetoslav Todorov

Eddie Howe

Hayden Foxe

Matt Taylor

Richard Hughes

Arjan de Zeeuw

Scott Wilson

Mark Summerbell

Shaka Hislop

Carl Robinson

Paul Merson

Gianluca Festa

Lassina Diabate

Deon Burton

Steve Stone

Tim Sherwood

Sasa Ilic

Vincent Pericard

Paul Ritchie

Stathos Tavlaridis

Markus Heikinnen

Yakubu

Patrik Berger

Boris Zivkovic

Teddy Sheringham

Harald Wapenaar

Dejan Stefanovic

Amdy Faye

Sebastien Schemmel

Pavel Srnicek

Eyal Berkovic

Richard Duffy

Ivica Mornar

John Curtis

Andy Griffin

Jamie Ashdown

Alexei Smertin

Jason Roberts

Petri Pasanen

Lomana Lua Lua

David Unsworth

Aliou Cisse

Ricardo Fuller

Valery Mezague

Diomansy Kamara

Southampton (2004-2005)

Jamie Redknapp

Nigel Quashie

Olivier Bernard

Kasey Keller

Calum Davenport

Henri Camara

Dennis Wise

Darren Powell

Ricardo Fuller

Tomasz Hajto

Djamel Belmadi

Kamil Kosowski

Marcelo Tejera

Portsmouth (2005-2008)

Benjani

Pedro Mendes

Sean Davis

Noe Pamarot

Dean Kiely

Jean-Francois Christophe

Wayne Routledge

Ognjen Koroman

Andres D'Alessandro

David Thompson

Sol Campbell

Nwa*kwo Kanu

David James

Andy Cole

Niko Kranjcar

Djimi Traore

Lauren

Sylvain Distin

Hermann Hreidarsson

Sulley Muntari

Martin Crainie

Callum Reynolds

Arnold Mvuemba

Glen Johnson

Manuel Fernandes

Rodolph Douala

David Nugent

John Utaka

Papa Bouba Diop

Tom Kilbey

Lassana Diarra

Danijel Subotic

Jermain Defoe

Glen Little

Lucien Aubey

Milan Baros

Peter Crouch

Younes Kaboul

Jerome Thomas

Ben Sahar

Armand Traore

Nadir Belhadj

Tottenham Hotspur (2008-present)

Jermain Defoe

Wilson Palacios

Carlo Cudicini

Pascal Chimbonda

Robbie Keane

Kyle Naughton

Kyle Walker

Peter Crouch

Sebastien Bassong

Niko Kranjcar

Jimmy Walker

Younes Kaboul

Eidur Gudjohnsen

Sandro

VDV

Gallas

He's an agents dream! His transfer dealings have probably brought more people to Portsmouth than the entire Portsmouth tourist board have managed in the past decade.

And soon you'll have Glaston here pointing out that most of Villa's trophies were won in ancient times when the ball was made of wood.

I've to agree, been a while since our players won the FA Cup.

Â