Demon Souls / Dark Souls

AshVilla

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s **** impossible to be honest. How is this fun?

Stick with it mate.  When it clicks, it's brilliant.  Don't treat it like a typical RPG because you will die a lot more if you play like that.  Use a bit of caution, pick your battles and keep an eye on stamina when in a fight. Sometimes defence is your friend!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The satisfaction you get for overcoming it is unlike anything else. And the heart pounding feeling you get when you're taking on a boss and it's touch and go and one mistake might end it but if you just land this next couple of hits you'll beat it... is the best thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean, it's not impossible is it?

As Dubbs says, you just have to stick with it and not treat it like a normal RPG (there's a reason its regarded as one of the best games ever created).

I struggled a helluva lot when I first played it on PS3 all those years ago but once it clicked there is no other game that has ever matched the thrill and euphoria when a breakthrough is made (even something as simple as unlocking a shortcut).

I went from not knowing what I was doing to finishing it for a first time to finally completing a 'No Death' run a while ago. I never, ever thought I'd do that (and I'm not a great gamer at all).

Edited by Designer1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The satisfaction you get for overcoming it is unlike anything else. And the heart pounding feeling you get when you're taking on a boss and it's touch and go and one mistake might end it but if you just land this next couple of hits you'll beat it... is the best thing.

I still think the first time I beat a certain boss duo is the best gaming moment I've ever had.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You have to learn how to play it.

Initially it's about realising that dying doesn't really matter. And learning the pace of play - it's deliberate and slow, you are punished for mistakes harshly but if you learn the enemies and scenarios each mistake is an step to getting further.

The Undead Burg is quite a small area and someone that has played the game before will blitz through it in a few minutes, but for a new player that might be a 15hr sequence. You just have to get your eye in with how to play it. Take your time. Pay attention to the surroundings. Slowly and methodically take out enemies and investigate the environment. You will get it. And as you gain levels and find new items you'll get stronger and stronger and eventually you too will piss through some sections even if you've never seen them before.

And then the game will they're something new at you to cut you back down...

• Like 2

My biggest issue is just the not knowing what I should be doing. Should I push on or should I go back and rest at a bonfire to recover?

If I sit at a bonfire then I bank some souls but all the enemies I’ve just cleared out are back. 
If I push on then I’ll probably die around the next corner and I lose everything anyway. 

There’s some sort of boss where I’m up to (I think). It takes me ages to get there and I have to kill loads of enemies, and then I’ll probably just immediately die. It’s very frustrating

Just now, Stevo985 said:

My biggest issue is just the not knowing what I should be doing. Should I push on or should I go back and rest at a bonfire to recover?

If I sit at a bonfire then I bank some souls but all the enemies I’ve just cleared out are back. 
If I push on then I’ll probably die around the next corner and I lose everything anyway. 

There’s some sort of boss where I’m up to (I think). It takes me ages to get there and I have to kill loads of enemies, and then I’ll probably just immediately die. It’s very frustrating

That's one of the push/pull gameplay 'features'. Farm for souls to get stronger but don't make 'real' progress, or push on to get further up the mountain but maybe make life harder in return for pushing for progress? Only you can make that decision.

Generally I think early on its worth taking the time to get some levels and learn the area inside out. The levels will help (particularly health and endurance), you'll develop the combat skills to the point you start to rinse the enemies, and you may find things that are useful (shortcuts, weapons etc). There's almost always a shortcut or 2 in an area and they can be very useful to help with a run back to a boss or just to cut out a lot of walking.

• Like 1

Cheers. I’ll persevere. The undead Burg is where I am now. I can batter all the enemies in there but there’s a big **** down below it who I have no chance again and a boss further up the hill who I have no chance against. So I’m kinda just knocking around farming souls and that

As difficult as it may be try not to get frustrated, you’ll only end up rushing and dying more. If it gets to that point don’t be afraid to just put it down for a while. Souls games aren’t hard, you just have to learn how to play them.

Don’t worry about being hollow for now, you’ll die so much on your first playthrough you’ll run out of humanities pretty quickly. As others have said you can use them to kindle bonfires for more estus, it’ll cost you 2 humanity (1 to reverse hollowing and 1 to kindle). The number in the top left corner of the screen is how many humanities you have available to ‘spend’, you can consume humanity items from your inventory to increase that number, and you can farm them from rats - there’s a good spot under the bridge with the dragon.

There’s also a vendor hidden in the Undead Burg that sells the Heater shield which will probably be pretty handy early on.

• Like 2

Also as others have said speak to NPCs and read the descriptions of items as you pick them up (press square on PS in your inventory) they’ll give you clues on where to go, the crestfallen warrior near the first bonfire is pretty helpful early game.

• Like 2

I am starting my first Dark Souls tomorrow. Starting with 3 because i found the GOTY edition for cheap. Not my first From Soft. I started with Sekiro,then Elden Ring,and started Demons Souls,but halfway into it,i got distracted by some other game  i had to play on release,and never got back into Demons souls. I have gotten used to dying a lot in these games,but it still annoys me losing progress,but the feeling when you beat a miniboss,or a boss,or just finds a really great shortcut as someone else mentioned,find a new "flask" for healling,or magic,a new weapon,useful item,or a place to rest ways it up ten times,and i wouldnt have it any other way. I am starting to love this sort of games so much that the games i used to really like now sometimes annoys me with telling me where everything is,how i should do it,and when. 

Starting DS3,to warm up for the Elden Ring DLC coming soon (i hope)

• Like 2

On 23/11/2023 at 11:34, Powehi said:

Difficulty ramps up a fair bit from the boss of Irithyll onwards - how you finding it now? 

Only just seen this! I got distracted with Like A Dragon: Gaiden, so have parked DS3 for a bit. Planning to jump back in...though that would depend on what games Santa brings...

• 2 weeks later...

Abyss Watchers can be tough. They're a bit of a skill check boss, difficult until you 'get' the fight. Certainly one I struggled with on my first run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Abyss Watchers can be tough. They're a bit of a skill check boss, difficult until you 'get' the fight. Certainly one I struggled with on my first run.

I have tried 6-7 times,but think i will wait,and go the other way that opened after beating the Crystal Mage (or whatever the name was),get my strengt,and dex up a bit,so i can meet them with a greatsword to stun them a bit. They glide right trough my swordswings now,so i think i could use a bigger weapon,but i got to get stronger first.

• 1 month later...
On 19/12/2023 at 15:43, Stevo985 said:

I'll put my toys back in the pram. I'm getting the hang of it a bit now.

Found the vendor in the Burg and buying a proper sword and shield and some armour has helped. 

It's still hard to adjust to the frustration of getting through a load of enemies to get to the boss only to die immediately and have to do it again. But it is what it is

Reminds me of Ivaldi's Workshop in God of War. You have to accept that you're going to have to do a few sweeps of an area to farm some souls, level up, buy some shit and then do it again before you have enough to plough on to the next part

I gave up again. 

I don't have the patience for it at the moment. With a load of other games out there that I want to play I just couldn't be bothered to grind stuff over and over again. It's not engaging enough to keep me coming back.

I think I could really get into it, but maybe some time in the future. I might just jump to Elden Ring and be done with it

• Sad 1

Â