Northern Ireland: Orange Order

irishmangiant

Should orange men be allowed to march in areas where they are not welcome?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should orange men be allowed to march in areas where they are not welcome?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

For the past three nights, including tonight, we have seen riots and violence again in the streets of Northern Ireland, particularly belfast where i come from.

These riots are due to the parades commision, not allowing an Orange March to proceed through a nationalist area ( the nationalist residents have said they do not wish the parade to proceed through their area )

In several loyalist areas of belfast there have been cars hijacked, buses hijacked, businesses looted and burned as well as people robbed by loyalist (MAINLY "protestants") who are destroying their own areas.

The orange order have been attempting to march through areas who do not welcome such processions, so is it right for such processions to take place when the residents clearly do not want them to go ahead?

Also... given that both sides of the community have rioted over different outcomes of Parades Commission decisions.. how can we prevent such devistation and upset?

Police yesterday released footage of Orange Order members, attacking police with swords and fists. Should such a "religious" order be allowed to exist?

All views are respected... please vote.

IMG - I found it very funny yesterday to hear some of the nationalist bigots trying to take the moral high ground over this.

The marching season is important to both sides of the political / religious divide in NI, I think Im right in saying. The whole point of these marches is celebration and with that provocation towards the "opposition". For every decision to ban you have to consider the repercussions from the other side and a compromise found. A compromise will no doubt be give and take for both but to ban full stop is not compromise.

I dont condone rioting, but I also think that in this unique (for the UK anyway) situation a more give and take solution could be found

Loyalists have got there own way for so long, a few parades are re routed to stop them going through nationalist areas and all this violence happens. If a community does not want them to march through it then why should they be. If a farmer did not want fox hunters to ride over his land would they be allowed to?

To allow it would be like saying it is ok to incite racial hatred which is just wrong. Its the 21st century and still people hate each other because of their religion. I live with 2 catholic northern irish lads. Both of whom have no problem with protestants but they have had to put up with trouble from English protestants who took exception to them.

I think people really need to get a grip!

I must also add that the problem is not one sided, there are Catholics who are just as bad and both parties need to sort themselves out!

I think they all need to grow up. Bowler hats, sashes, wanting to march through a different area just to rub the oppositions noses in it, if it were your children that were acting this way, they would get a smack and told not to be so silly.

But Worzel you could say the same about the Russians marching through Red Square, etc etc

It will take time to change. The peace process is ongoing and unfortunately far too many people want instant results. For the moment we have an end to the bombings and the all out terrorist attacks from the IRA etc, but that came over time. Tolerance is needed from both sides and a move away from confrontationalism may just happen as a result, but it will take time

I think at least 80% of Nortern Ireland folks (protestant or catholic) are fed up.

I have respect for people's views, and I think they should be allowed to march in their own areas. People from our (nationalist) areas have no problems when it comes to the twelfth of July and so forth, but I think when it comes to marching into areas where people don't want to see the marches, then the marches should be re-routed to a safer area for all involved.

I do not condone the violence in any way, nationalist or protestant . An 11 month old kid might have brain damage thanks to a group of people throwing bricks at cars, I think that alone is too much to pay.

ratboy totally right, just look at the wealth of the established churches and where did that come from except for the people.

As for the parades they are a show of strength and remember conquests, running then through areas of these conquests is just stupid !!

but Ian religion wasnt designed just an opression tool of the working people now was it. OK its used as a battering ram against people and has been for a long time, which sort of conflicts against its principles.

Â