1. 1. Do you believe in God

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont give a shit

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not the bible is historically accurate is neither here nor there. The only thing that matters is if there's a god or not, if he created the earth, whether he wants to be worshipped and whether there's a heaven.

My answer is a resounding 'no' to all of them.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully"

- Richard Dawkins

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully"

- Richard Dawkins

So you goggled some anti God phrases and copy pasted them? What a valued member of this discussion you are.

- Richard Dawkins

To a certain degree I agree with that, but I don't agree with his extremist atheist views and how he thinks everyone is stupid who isn't of the same mindset as him.

I do not agree with Dawkins...and What's the point in quoting criticisms of a belief in a Creator from Evolutionists?

I could quote others who criticize Richard Dawkins and the theory of Evolution...Point being??!!!

I related the difference between the God of the Bible and the pagan Deities with regard to Molech and Baal worship

and sacrifice of children... some pages back.

Right then Dundee Villain...we've now moved on from the Bible being written by "Bronze Age Farmers" to "Bronze Age People who had no real understanding about the world or the Universe"...

Response to follow...

- Richard Dawkins

So you goggled some anti God phrases and copy pasted them? What a valued member of this discussion you are.

Doesnt make it untrue though does it? Your only argument about my post, is that I copied and pasted it! LMFAO !

- Richard Dawkins

Doesnt make it untrue though does it? Your only argument about my post, is that I copied and pasted it! LMFAO !

Your only argument for it, is that you just read it and assumed it to be true? (which it most certainly is not)

LMAO!

On that premise, If you read what the bible had to say about things...

- Richard Dawkins

Your only argument for it, is that you just read it and assumed it to be true? (which it most certainly is not)

LMAO!

I have read the bible, many times. I was a staunch Catholic up until my early 20s. Funnily Enough I actually became an atheist because I went to college and studied R.E. at A-level.

- Richard Dawkins

LMAO!

I have read the bible, many times. I was a staunch Catholic up until my early 20s. Funnily Enough I actually became an atheist because I went to college and studied R.E. at A-level.

Then you would know that (of the ones I even know what they mean, and to be fair, the dictionary on my computer hasnt got a clue what 3 of them mean) none of those are true. Yes, even the homophobic one. He loves all men and women, even the gay ones, its the act that he hates. It's sin that he hates.

We can substitute 'Bronze age farmers' for 'Bronze Age people who had no real understanding about the world or the universe, so instead they invented stuff to explain their existence, which in their position was an understandable thing to do. However, there is no excuse for believing today what they believed back then.'

Moses...If he existed, I hear you cry but whoever wrote the book of Job it was written about 1473 BCE. In Job he writes (Job 26:7) . . .He is stretching out the north over the empty place, Hanging the earth upon nothing"

In stark contrast to other ancient writings and beliefs the Bible was proved scientifically correct. The earth is held in space by the interaction between gravity and centrifugal force. Those invisible forces could not have been seen or known to Moses or surely a Bronze Age people unless under some sort of divine guidance was given. Does modern day science attest to the accuracy of that statement? Yes.

(Isaiah 40:22-23) . . .There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, the dwellers in which are as grasshoppers, the One who is stretching out the heavens just as a fine gauze, who spreads them out like a tent in which to dwell, 23 . . .Again in stark contrast to other ancient beleifs and writings the Earth is indeed a circle...or as the Hebrew word directly translates as Orb which is the exact shape of our planet. Again how the heck would a Bible writer know this without divine guidance? Does modern day scientific thinking attest to the accurateness of this ancient scripture. Yes.

Hindusm, Babylonians, Egyptians had all sorts of beleifs about he Earth being flat, resting on Turtles...all sorts. NONE of those writings proved correct scientifically...yet the Bible was quite correct.

- Richard Dawkins

Ok Jondaken, you disagree with this statement. Lets have a look at it shall we?

Jealousy....

Exodus 20:4-5 says, "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God..."

Bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser........

I have lost count of how many times god orders his followers to kill other nations in the old testament.

Homophobic......

According to the old testament, god sure don't like those gays!

Infanticdal..........

Kill the newborns etc etc etc .

The god of the old testament is a full on dickhead.

Then you would know that (of the ones I even know what they mean, and to be fair, the dictionary on my computer hasnt got a clue what 3 of them mean) none of those are true. Yes, even the homophobic one. He loves all men and women, even the gay ones, its the act that he hates. It's sin that he hates.

You freely admit you dont even understand what some of the words mean but you categorically dismiss them out of hand. This , in a nutshell is what you get when you argue against a theist.

" I dont know what Im on about but I am right"

"The concept of God and religion has been in our history since society came about. It is that fact alone that has led it to become the factual source for many peoples belief in where we came from."

Whether religion would have developed to what it is today if the theory of evolution was discussed back at that point in history might be another matter.

Back then many weird situations would have been put down to Gods intervention, but perhaps it was just coincidence.

The documentary in regards to the parting of the red sea and how it is a plausable event and could happen again.

If everyone on this earth tossed a coin 100 times, someone would get heads every single time. Does that mean that is an act of god, because it is just so implausable?

Yes both rods turned to snakes that of Moses and of the magic practicing priests...( but even Jesus said that the demons could perform powerful things) Surely the fact that Moses reported this shows the honesty of the account?

:shock:

If Jesus (who is God) admits that Demons are capable of supernatural acts, then why is god so allmighty?

Bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser........

I have lost count of how many times god orders his followers to kill other nations in the old testament.

Only despicable bloodthirsty nations that bullied and polluted the land with their foul practices!!..I'll lay odds ,many would be up in arms if they existed today asking the Yanks to go in and sort them out!

It wasn't like God didn't warn both his people and other nations that they would undergo judicial punishment if they didn't stop behaving wickedly. Look at Ninevah, Jericho...etc....

What about (2 Chronicles 36:15-16) 15 And Jehovah the God of their forefathers kept sending against them by means of his messengers, sending again and again, because he felt compassion for his people and for his dwelling. 16 But they were continually making jest at the messengers of the [true] God and despising his words and mocking at his prophets, until the rage of Jehovah came up against his people, until there was no healing.

Infanticdal..........

Kill the newborns etc etc etc .

Have you read any of my posts about God's condemnation of this practice? I notice those about God's clear instructions for it not to be carried out were completely ignored. I'll repeat .......(Jeremiah 32:35) . . .Furthermore, they built the high places of Ba′al that are in the valley of the son of Hin′nom, in order to make their sons and their daughters pass through [the fire] to Mo′lech, a thing that I did not command them, neither did it come up into my heart to do this detestable thing,......

Yes both rods turned to snakes that of Moses and of the magic practicing priests...( but even Jesus said that the demons could perform powerful things) Surely the fact that Moses reported this shows the honesty of the account?

:shock:

If Jesus (who is God) admits that Demons are capable of supernatural acts, then why is god so allmighty?

because he is all powerful and allows them to do so.

Â