World of Warcraft

The_Rev

Who knows? Its difficult to tell at the moment as there's been no word on the PvP factor of the game. The focus of this game is exploration and adventure with friends, something I really loved on WoW in the early days. This game just does it an a **** off epic scale where getting from one place to another won't take minutes but days, even weeks. I think it would be a mistake to compare it to the world mechanics of WoW (in terms of two factions and PvP etc). You have to remember that Warcraft is not the standard for MMORPGS, it's just the most commercially successful of them.

Anyway, Vanguard is a concept I've been looking for in a game since the creation of games but until now, its never really been possible. Plus, the pedigree behind the game is something to take note of in the MMORPG world. Some real big hitters are behind this thing.

Si was always banging on about Vanguard when we all started playing WoW, is it still not out? Even if it was the most brilliant MMORPG ever, I'm not sure I like the idea of starting again completely from scratch. They've missed a trick not getting it out before TBC comes out though, what with the amount of seriously bored people in WoW.

Have they managed to get the two most boring voices in the world to do that vid?

Maybe im biased against it, but i wont be running out to cancel my wow subscription just yet. It just seems so dry, so humourless and potentially empty. For a promotional video they could have done a whole lot more really. Especially with Sonys money behind it.

How's it going being guildless Nays? Made some freeby armor for the shammy leader in another guild last night, and he's offered me a trial if I want it. Thing is they raid 4 nights a week, and I can't manage it until a week on Weds when my exams are over.

I don't think that there is a promotional vid, more a developer E3 sneak peak, but it did make me laught at how half asleep the devs sound. They're actually being rather tight lipped about the game. I still think it has bags of potential even with its more serious look and tone comparied to WoW.

I'll be approaching it without any preconceptions to say the least. I think that would do the game an injustice to just say "oh, it isn't Warcraft so its a bit shit by default" because it may piss all over it in terms of enjoyment. Mind you, I don't think it will come close to humping WoW commercially but I think it has the potential to be a much deeper and envolving game. WoW is quite shallow when compared to traditional MMORPGs.

How's it going being guildless Nays? Made some freeby armor for the shammy leader in another guild last night, and he's offered me a trial if I want it. Thing is they raid 4 nights a week, and I can't manage it until a week on Weds when my exams are over.

And what guild might this be? Do tell!

Si was always banging on about Vanguard when we all started playing WoW, is it still not out?

I'll definitely be getting it unless it gets totally wank reviews (which I can't see) and as Sie says it has heavyweight developers behind it so It should be excellent. Many industry people have labelled it as the 'next level of MMORPG'. We shall see.

In the meantime I'm in a friendly Guild in GW and am enjoying the GvG aspect so that will keep me busy for a while.

Back On-Topic, is anyone going to start a new char on TBC with one of the new races? Like the look of the Blood Elves. 8)

Not me Si. Too much lovely new content for L60 to 70 to want to start grinding for linen cloth in the Barrens again!

You'd best not play anymore games ever then Riss. You'll be starting from the beginning in those too ;)

The whole level grind that WoW could often be is not how Vanguard plays. As has been mentioned previous, its a new bag of tricks altogether and an entirely different beast to WoW.

I reckon it won't be out for sometime yet though so BC can roll along and I'll lap it up. I imagine Vanguard will probably surface around the 2ndQ of 2007. More than enough time to enjoy BC.

I may even find myself playing them alongside eachother.

My sudden enthusiasm for Vanguard is partially fuelled by my total boredom with WoW at the moment. The game has just ground to a hault for me and I'm back to being a rogue running around the bank roof.

Raiding is now FFA. We can join other guilds for Naxx or BWL or whatever, so my plan to get kicked going for 8/8 tier 2 has gone tits up. This might make me stay on.

Are you sure we can't tempt you out of retirement for The Burning Crusade Si? We could do with a tank for our merry little gang, and you won't be at a disadvantage gear wise, as all of our stuff will be obsolete anyway! You know it makes sense...

I dont know if you read Mekkapianos posts on the Lock forums Sie, but they are usually worthwhile when it comes to the maths behind the game. I think this is worth highlighting

And its a kodak moment that will test your broadband connection:

poorfella1pr5.th.jpgpoorfella2fn8.th.jpg

I got six shards out of him. Nice fella.

I dont know if you read Mekkapianos posts on the Lock forums Sie, but they are usually worthwhile when it comes to the maths behind the game. I think this is worth highlighting

Yeah I'm a big fan of Lock maths, so it's something I make a point of reading every day! ;)

I gave up reading the Shammy forums month ago. Nothing but "rate my build" posts, "ZOMG they nerfed Windfury" moaning and arguments with loladins.

Â