economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

A healthy dose of private sector expertise is required to advise on how to plan and execute major capital spending projects ..IMO

Why is the assumption always that the private sector knows best how to deliver capital expenditure projects?

I think it matters much more that there are clear criteria by which one wishes to measure the success of the project; that there are clear aims for the project as a whole and that there is a clear idea of how the project ought to be carried out.

domestic polcies ??

so we had control over US banks lending to the very poor who would never pay

the recession started in the credit crunch in the US the world accepts that

sure the global economy downturn is a factor but that was not the sole cause of our problems .. ( I wonder , if we currently had a Tory government would you be so charitable and be saying , oh it's not their fault it's all the fault of the US banks ..those poor Tories are just innocent victims ...)

other factors are :

Decline in Manufacturing sector. For a long time the UK manufacturing sector has becoming more uncompetitive with the rest of the world

Government borrowing is high

From the bits I learnt in my IT stint in the City ..If the markets interpret Government measures as being reckless, sterling plummets possibly to dangerous lows

how has the £ been performing of late ??

Why is the assumption always that the private sector knows best how to deliver capital expenditure projects?

hey I was just asked what I would do , I don't speak for others .....

hey I was just asked what I would do , I don't speak for others .....

Wasn't having a go, Tony.

I just wondered because it does seem a common assumption.

My feeling is that projects tend not to deliver in both the public and private sector because the aims of the project (and the means viewed as acceptable) are not totally clear.

And aren't public sector projects generally undertaken by the private sector?

sure the global economy downturn is a factor but that was not the sole cause of our problems .. ( I wonder , if we currently had a Tory government would you be so charitable and be saying , oh it's not their fault it's all the fault of the US banks ..those poor Tories are just innocent victims ...)

turn that around by saying if the Tories were i charge you woul be claiming it was a global problem, it is , I psoted about Spain, major banks in Holland, Belguim and Germany all bailed out

to deny the MAJOR factor is not global defies belief

the tories are desperate to label this as a 'local' problem where it is clearly not

vince Cable accept that and he is the ONE polticia it seems most like

other factors are :

Decline in Manufacturing sector. For a long time the UK manufacturing sector has becoming more uncompetitive with the rest of the world

no with China and India where labour costs are so much lower

are you suggesting we compete by paying their wages ?

are you suggestig we should have nationalised some companies to protect them ?

how has the £ been performing of late ??

recovering as it has become clear that everyone is in trouble and short sellers made their profit

all week because it wet too low considring how poor the states and eurozone are ... a few months ago it was too high, such is the free market, which is only there to provide profit for thoe doig feck all except to buy and sell items they never hold !

It does appear that most analysts are seeing the Euro in a sell position and Sterling in a buy situation right now and are forecasting this situation to continue for a while yet as now the markets are getting very shakey about the ECB's recovery strategy. Its all a Sigur Ros song to me (gobbledegook for the musically illiterate) but most of the sites I've been reading (bloomberg etc) seem to be painting it that way for now, Though it'll all change again in the not too distant future no doubts

..most of the sites I've been reading (bloomberg etc) seem to be painting it that way for now, Though it'll all change again in the not too distant future no doubts

Indeed. Just over a week ago they had all resigned themselves to parity with the Euro at the very least (some were plumping for around the 80 cent mark quite quickly). It seems as soon as those in the know predicted this, Sterling rallied.

I guess as soon as those same people are really convinced that Sterling has turned the corner and everything is fine then everything will stop being fine and it will fall again.

all week

Sterling had been declining against the Euro since Feb 2007

it's not all down to those greedy blokes in the city , and i'm sure you well know it ...

Told you we should have joined the Euro :-)

yep Bicks, and the dollar has weakened because the situation over there looks very very poor
The dollar started falling because of obama's spending plans and as a counterbalance to rising oil.

NIESR estimates GDP fell by 1.5 percent

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's economy shrank at its fastest pace since 1980 in the last three months of 2008, with output falling by 1.5 percent, the National Institute of Economic and Social Research estimated Saturday.

The Office for National Statistics has calculated Britain's economy already shrank by 0.6 percent between July and September last year, the first quarterly contraction in 16 years. But NIESR said this underestimated the decline and should be revised up to a 1.1 percent contraction.

If the academic body's estimate for growth at the end of last year proves correct, it would represent the biggest quarterly fall since a 1.8 percent drop in the second quarter of 1980, as well as confirming beyond doubt that Britain is in recession.

NIESR said its quarterly estimates were usually accurate to within 0.2 percentage points of the ONS gross domestic product data, which are next due on January 23.

Land of Leather suspends shares

Shares in Land of Leather have been suspended as the furniture firm fights for its survival.

The company, known for its cut-price deals, said it had requested a suspension of its share trading "pending clarification of the company's financial position". It said a further announcement will be made "as soon as possible".

The shares last traded at 3.05p, valuing the business at less than £1m.

Furniture stores have been hit hard by the downturn in the housing market due to a sharp fall in the number of people moving house.

Land of Leather has seen orders plummet by 47% in the three months to 2 November. The fall-off in demand has already brought down a string of furniture brands including MFI, The Pier, ScS Upholstery, Ilva and Floors 2 Go.

Land of Leather was approached by several firms interested in snapping up the company at a bargain price in November, but those talks quickly collapsed as the company declared the bids provided "insufficient value to shareholders".

oh and to those who think somehow it is only this country in trouble apparently tomorrow or Wednesday Germany will announce a huge economic stimulus package

this will mean increased borrowings apparently

let me remind you that Germany is a centre right government

Â