Would you swap?

Lochheads twin

Barry over Luiz, 

Mcginn or Mortimer not sure. 

Gidman a rb but yes Moreno hasn't done much yet and is our second choice lb so Gidman 

Ollie over Yorke as he brings so much more but Ollie vs Withe might have been the better choice as I never saw Yorke as a cf 

On 24/04/2024 at 08:20, Lochheads twin said:

We are currently have some of the best players we have had for many a year.

I occasionally think, "He is the best since ............"

Here are a selection of pairings of a current player with a star from yesteryear. Who would you pick?

• Dougie or Gareth Barry (2000's) - making the game look effortless
  • John McGinn or Dennis Mortimer (80's) - captains leading by example
  • Moreno (2023) or John Gidman (70's) - rampaging fullbacks
  • Ollie or Dwight Yorke - (2000's) - silky but deadly
  • Leon Bailey or Ashley Young Mk1 - what are you going to get today?😀
  • Emi Martinez - peerless.

If you are lucky enough to be younger than me, make up your own pairing. Who matches with Mings or Konsa, lots of great centre backs over the years.

There are no wrong answers.

Onwards & Upwards!

I would have to reluctantly swap Super John for Morty, I would have Giddy for Moreno and Ash for Bailey. Close call though, these replacements aren't as young as they once were. ;)

• Haha 1

Allowing fir differences from the to now

Dougie or Gareth Barry (2000's) - making the game look effortless - Barry was much more the complete player

John McGinn or Dennis Mortimer (80's) - captains leading by example - I don’t think they are comparable

Moreno (2023) or John Gidman (70's) - rampaging fullbacks - Gidman imo the best right full back we have ever had

Ollie or Dwight Yorke - (2000's) - silky but deadly - Ollie without doubt - not only scores loads but makes loads too

Leon Bailey or Ashley Young Mk1 - what are you going to get today? Bailey better at beating his man

• Like 1

On 24/04/2024 at 13:22, jackbauer24 said:

See... I have a confession... I'm just, just, JUST holding on to my hero Mark Bosnich!!

Can't judge a player by their success internationally when it comes to Villa (unfair on McGrath, JPA and even Bailey etc!) so it's all to do with their performance at Villa.

I love Martinez, he is incredible and undoubtedly a massive player for us but my nephews asked me a long time back if he had pushed Bosnich from his pedestal and I said it was close, so close, but he needs to help us win something.

Stats wise;*

Mark Bosnich played 174 times for us in the league, keeping 61 clean sheets (W72 D46 L55), we won 2 cups and we were consistently (ish!) in top parts of the league including a great spell in 95-99. He almost single handedly (pun?!) won us the 1994 League Cup in the run that season.

Emi Martinez has played 142 times for us in the league, keeping 45 clean sheets (W65 D26 L51) and this is our first season really pushing back at the top of the league.

There's clearly a very strong argument to suggest Martinez could be considered the better player but the stats aren't that conclusive and, I put so much weight on bringing home a trophy that, for now, just, I still hold a flame for my idol Bosnich. That's loyalty!! 

Speak to me again after May 29th hopefully.

*stats bloomin hard to find so take with pinch of salt!

Don’t think you are as wide of the mark as you suggest - I have always thought of Bozzie as being the most natural goalie I have ever seen.

He also had a moment of madness in him too 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I'd have Barry but to play LB. 

One player not mentioned who I'd swap McGinn for is Ian Taylor. 

Don’t make me pick between John McGinn and Ian Taylor, two of the nicest and wholehearted blokes ever to play for the Villa.

Like asking me to pick a favourite child!

no favoritism here!

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 07:08, UpTheVilla26 said:

I'd swap Platt for either.  24 goals in each of his last two seasons from midfield, one in which he missed half the season in a struggling team.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 07:08, UpTheVilla26 said:

I wouldn’t to be honest. We all love what Ian Taylor stands for ( Gobby this is a Villa fan )

But I really don’t think he was a better footballer than SJM  imo 

Â