Trains - Witton or Aston

stratford_villa

Looking for a bit of guidance. I attend most home games but haven’t used the trains for years. The last time I did, ended up giving up and walking back into town as the wait at Aston station was a joke.

At full-time, which station is the better bet to get back into the city centre. I know I’ll have a wait either way. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, stratford_villa said:

Looking for a bit of guidance. I attend most home games but haven’t used the trains for years. The last time I did, ended up giving up and walking back into town as the wait at Aston station was a joke.

At full-time, which station is the better bet to get back into the city centre. I know I’ll have a wait either way. Thanks.

I don't think there's much in it to be honest, but I've usually found Aston to be slightly better.

Either station is going to have a wait, unfortunately.

Just because I’m a nerd, scheduled trains to Birmingham New Street from: 

Witton: 19:23, 19:34, 19:43, 19:53, 20:04, 20:23, 20:34

Aston: 19:27, 19:32, 19:40, 19:57, 20:02, 20:12, 20:27, 20:32, 20:38

Some trains from Witton won’t call at Aston because they are booked to pass through the station without stopping or they are routed into New Street via Perry Barr. Some trains from Aston won’t have called at Witton because they’ve come down on the line from Sutton Coldfield.  The ones that do call at both I’ve marked in italics  

obvious caveat:  it’s a Saturday evening on the run up Christmas during a week when ASLEF have been taking industrial action and the Villa are at home so don’t expect a largely Birmingham based group of drivers to be queuing up to do overtime.

You should also be able to get the number 7 bus to Snow Hill from Witton Road  (link)

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, stratford_villa said:

I've always found that Witton has more trains calling there rather than Aston. I've always found Witton a rubbish station but I only care about getting to/from New Street to Witton.

I find Witton more convenient. In the past, there has been some football special trains from New Street that don't call at Duddeston and Aston. Your straight to Witton inside 6-8 mins if it doesn't call at the two stations I've just mentioned.

If I were you, I'd recommend just going to Witton purely because it's closer to the ground and it's a 5 minute walk. It's only a recommendation but it's your choice.

I believe based on recent experience that from New Street, Aston has more frequent trains but we have used both stations and really there isn't much in it unless pre match pubs are a consideration. I would say Aston is a 15-20 minute walk and Witton only 10 minutes if that.

You'll want to get to Villa Park 1 hour before kick off ideally and then you'll avoid packed carriages!

Getting back to New Street, if you get out of Villa Park quickly you can beat the worst of the queues for the train at Witton. If there is a massive queue expect to be waiting for around an hour.

Last night for Man City was our most hassle free game travel wise. Probably because of the 8.15 ko.

1 hour ago, birdman said:

I believe based on recent experience that from New Street, Aston has more frequent trains but we have used both stations and really there isn't much in it unless pre match pubs are a consideration. I would say Aston is a 15-20 minute walk and Witton only 10 minutes if that.

You'll want to get to Villa Park 1 hour before kick off ideally and then you'll avoid packed carriages!

Getting back to New Street, if you get out of Villa Park quickly you can beat the worst of the queues for the train at Witton. If there is a massive queue expect to be waiting for around an hour.

Last night for Man City was our most hassle free game travel wise. Probably because of the 8.15 ko.

I leave at around 82-85 minutes to get back to Witton Station.

Quite frankly enough, I caught the train from Witton to Walsall on a match night. It was packed up until Tame Bridge Parkway. I went to Walsall and it was still quite busy but not packed.

But isn't there going to be an investment at Witton and Aston? Didn't it get mentioned to do with our stadium expansion plan?

On 06/12/2023 at 15:17, stratford_villa said:

Walk to The Sacred Heart and have a pint then grab an Uber 5 minutes into town 

3 hours ago, Louis said:

I leave at around 82-85 minutes to get back to Witton Station.

Quite frankly enough, I caught the train from Witton to Walsall on a match night. It was packed up until Tame Bridge Parkway. I went to Walsall and it was still quite busy but not packed.

But isn't there going to be an investment at Witton and Aston? Didn't it get mentioned to do with our stadium expansion plan?

We left just after final whistle and being in lower North Stand it's super quick to get out. Was pleasantly surprised to reach Witton and get straight on the platform for the first train!

I think there have been discussions about a 30m overhaul of Witton as part of Villa Park expansion. Have no idea if anything firmed up though!

2 minutes ago, birdman said:

We left just after final whistle and being in lower North Stand it's super quick to get out. Was pleasantly surprised to reach Witton and get straight on the platform for the first train!

I think there have been discussions about a 30m overhaul of Witton as part of Villa Park expansion. Have no idea if anything firmed up though!

It's the same for me too! I'm in the Trinity Upper and I'm literally on the 1st train back.

Well, I think we need to watch this space, it may take a few years to come whether or not if they do decide to go ahead with the whole redevelopment.

If I was at West Midlands trains right now, I would definitely have at least 15 carriages on match days/nights. 15 carriages covers the whole platform and this should make it easier for the fans to get on the train and have more space.

In the past, I remember getting on trains and there's only been 5-8 carriages and that's not enough.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2023 at 21:41, Louis said:

If I was at West Midlands trains right now, I would definitely have at least 15 carriages on match days/nights. 15 carriages covers the whole platform

15? Are you sure about that? 

• Haha 2

Â