2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/23 at 22:59

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're a brilliantly organised team with a lot of talented players and we're scoring goals for fun.

This was meant to be a tough one and we've smashed them.

These are days you'll remember.

Poignant comment.

17 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

When it clicks, it f££king clicks. Movement, power and pace. Boner worthy.

Unai giving another tactical masterclass. In the first 50min, we always had a free man because of the setup of our midfield and offensive line. Bailey was utterly magic. Tielemans was excellent (in two different roles over the course of the 90min). 

The swagger for three quarters of the match today was superb. Surviving AZ's purple patch -- which was going to come -- will give the boys confidence. 

Bailey looks to me like he feels he belongs now.....His mannerism and demeanor around the bench, when he came off signified to me a man who feels a part of it, now.

His performance was sublime on the pitch....but sometimes little things off the pitch signify tell tale signs of belonging, too.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Best era in 40 years to be a Villa fan. From King Ron to Saint Unai.

The interesting thing for me here is.....2 different era's with so many things different.....yet some things so similar.

both men had/have a yearning desire to succeed, and a clear vision of how to do it, relative to them,  even though the environment, they worked in, was contrasting.

Ron applied the necessary actions for that era.....Unai is doing the same,  in his era.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, nick76 said:

Great game by everyone, was never in doubt in the end even when they scored.  Special mentions to Bailey, Tielemans and Martinez with a couple close behind like Dougie.  Super Unai continues his March…

I too was impressed with Martinez's influence and street cred... he brings an aura of devilment to the team.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

Bailey looks to me like he feels he belongs now.....His mannerism and demeanor around the bench, when he came off signified to me a man who feels a part of it, now.

His performance was sublime on the pitch....but sometimes little things off the pitch signify tell tale signs of belonging, too.

I think Bailey has often felt part of it, the fans reaction to him has always been luke warm. 

A player like Bailey in an Emery system might not always get a defined role, I think Unai has asked him to play in 4 different positions, sometimes thats to find what fits best, some times its to fit around others. I think he often gets judged unfairly. 

One thing that surprised me over the summer was Diaby talking about the influence Bailey had on him coming to VP, he couldnt talk strongly enough. It showed me that the fans often know very little about the player and how hes feeling.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

And if someone wasn't posting that, well, it just wouldn't feel like Villa -- so ... thanks? I don't "mind" us doing really well, but I do need my daily taste of gloom, or I'm going to start thinking I support Real Madrid or something. 😁

some folk still back red, when black is coming up every time.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kingman said:

You can't buy class,

That word removed of a steward wants fisting with a pineapple! 

Perish the thought.

.........to all Haemorroid suffers, take a lie down

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Awwww. Little lads that age can be so vulnerable. Makes me miss that era of being a dad! Diaby is class.

does anything shock you in life, now.....what a willy wonka.

edit: corrected post further on after additional information.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Slept through it as going to work shortly. Woke up to £34 . 4.1  cheers. @TheAuthority didn't cash out this time. Although I probably would have. 😅 

no...he played ok🙄

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, romavillan said:

It's going to keep happening, we deliberately take risks at the back to bring the other team out and stretch their shape. Do that often enough and a couple of times you will look really stupid. Risk and reward though, playing that way we're **** awesome for 30+ games.

I'm trying to get used that.

17 hours ago, meregreen said:

No match report in the Guardian. Yet they have an article on the revenue of Man Utd. Newspapers of today have lost sight of what the game is all about.

No.....they just have their own agenda.

17 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

We will usually score more than we conceded and have shown that we will always create chances. AVERAGING over 3 goals a game across the last 11 home games tells you all you need to know! 

Yes and its great.....but clean sheets, take you to the next level.

16 hours ago, Spoony said:

Tbf, if we weren’t in the competition I wouldn’t be able to give less of a shit. I barely care about the UCL until about the semi finals. Even the conference final will attract barely any coverage. But it is what it is. 

I always get excited when we win 1-4 away from home, with a controlled performance against a team who have been tearing it up in their domestic league, even though its a lesser standard than ours and West Ham only overcome them by the odd goal.

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think when someone constantly criticises a certain player people start to not value your opinion, it begins to look like slagging for slagging's sake, as we have seen with McGinn in the past and other players. I try and be as objective as I can even with the player's I particularly like. 

Take Cash for instance, I was really scathing about some of his performances last season and remarked if he was maybe not up to the level required by Emery, however, he has completely proved me wrong this season and flourished to the point where he is probably one of the first names on the sheet. My point being, however critical you maybe about a certain player, as a real fan, I think you should always be absolutely delighted when that player begins to prove your doubts wrong. 

That's why I mentioned Bailey in the match thread, he has endured some terrible criticism on here at times, even with his fine record at VP, however, I, and no doubt others, always knew there was a proper baller in there somewhere, and most definitely the manager knew that, hence, the patience and encouragement he has shown towards him. Suddenly, he is starting to look like one of the main men. His work rate tonight was phenomenal, and I gave him motm. That is a player reciprocating the faith shown to him by this wonderful manager. It's frightening how good we're becoming, once we learn how to tighten them shutters a bit more, we are going to be some force.

Maybe he has proved you right....with time to revisit and reconsider....thats what we all do surely.....many factors form our opinions,  they change, we must be free to reconsider our positions.

I understand the notion of showing faith, but that can also be afforded misjudgingly to players who never make it.

I too was not convinced with Dougie in his early days with us.....I prefer to think he has come on leaps and bounds, and his work further forward has helped too....Dougies game has been transformed, beyond belief by  a number of things....1. intro of Boubacar Kamara. 2. Unai Emery  work 3. The overal team play. 4 by his determination to improve.

Dougie wants to be top class, thats so important...that desire.

Cash has improved too, so maybe you was right, when you said it.

What I struggle with....is when a player has markedly improved, but the fan is so invested in his original opinion, he/she is so reluctant to change it.

When we all say.....I don't like this or that player, what we really mean, is we don't like their performances.....but performances can change, and factors affecting them.... so opinions should change accordingly, if we see fit, to change them.

Personally, I have no problem at all saying my opinion has changed on a player....but thats just me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe he has proved you right.

I understand the notion of showing faith, but that can also be afforded misjudgingly to players who never make it.

I too was not convinced with Dougie in his early days with us.....I prefer to think he has come on leaps and bounds, and his work further forward has helped too....Dougies game has been transformed, beyong belief by  a number of things....1. intro of Boubarcar Kamamra. 2. Unai Emery  work 3. The overal team play. 4 by his determination to improve.

Dougie wants to be top class, thats so important...that desire.

Cash has improved too, so maybe you was right, when you said it.

What I struggle with....is when a player has markedly improved, but the fan is so invested in his original opinion, he/she is so reluctant to change it.

When we all say.....I don't like this or that player, what we really mean, is we don't like their performances.....but performances can change, so opinions should change accordingly, if we see fit, to change them.

Personally, I have no problem at all saying my opinion has changed on a player....but thats just me.

The thing about Emery and the coaching staff is that I cant think of one player that hasnt improved. Its quite incredible really. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst it was a very controlled performance we only had 5 attempts on goal so were very clinical. But then they only had one big chance too from what I can remember.  We should beat them again at home. 

We have wobbles sure...we are still WIP.....but our pitch craft has improved so much, we do look like Man City at times...I am not saying we are that good yet, but I do see traits of similarity when we move the ball.

In last nights game.......I am staggered after changing 2 Centre Back to come up with that control and ball domination.

I also think Emi spooks players with his S***housery and breeds doubt in their minds....his disparaging actions, unhinge opposing players belief.....We have been missing that.....Andy Gray had it, playing up front, all those years ago.

Emi is far more influential to us, than we sometimes admit to.....and he is so blaise off the field with it....and a Monster on it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â