July Optimism Gauge

limpid

Optimism Gauge  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think we will finish next season?

2. 2. How do you feel about the upcoming season?

• Very Optimistic
    • Optimistic
    • Average
    • Pessimistic
    • Very Pessimistic

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/07/23 at 22:59

Our biggest issue right now is the crest and/or badge. 

it has been a long, long time since that was the main concern. 

all I want is acorns as our charity under the numbers on the back of the kit in Europe at this point….and some enterprising eBayer to sell said acorns logo

On 01/07/2023 at 18:41, sne said:

Feels nice to finally have Europe as an additional layer to the season.

That's the only reason I'm not balls deep in optimism 

Is it this season that there is an extra CL spot available?  In which case - maybe it would be worth re-considering the options (1-5 = CL qualification) (6-7 = European) (8-10 = top half).  It's not my poll and I don't know whether this would break any comparison / analysis of optimism over an extended period of time.  So very much only a suggestion!

Anyway I think 7th and am feeling very optimistic.  Couple of things to bear in mind:

(a) I thought we'd finish 12th when last  season started (so think that shows just how far my optimism has changed)

(b) last season I thought we'd finish 12th because our midfield was still hugely unbalanced and now I would argue that it is probably our greatest strength (I mean it is quite possible / likely that when everyone is fit two of: Kamara, Luiz, Tielemans, Ramsey and McGinn will be on the bench!!!)

(c) I still think that we over-achieved under Emery for the second 60% of last season and so kind of expect that we will fall off from those levels (especially if we do better in the cups)

(d) my optimism is partly high because I expect us to sign 2 attacking players this window (if we don't then my optimism will probably drop to around 8th - underwhelming signings - or 9th - no signings) but I still think that IF we get those signings right then we could very much be in the mix for finishing higher

(e) as a Villa supporter since the late 70s, I still kind of expect that somehow everything will turn to **** (or at least just averagely meh)

Edited by allani

1 hour ago, allani said:

Is it this season that there is an extra CL spot available?

No idea. I'm unlikely to change it based on someone asking a question though :mrgreen: Do you have a source or a thread here where this has been confirmed?

18 hours ago, limpid said:

No idea. I'm unlikely to change it based on someone asking a question though :mrgreen: Do you have a source or a thread here where this has been confirmed?

There’s an extra place for the two countries that perform best in Europe the previous season.

Originally I thought it was going to be based off the season just finished so that leagues know how many places they will have before the season starts which would have been ideal as Man City/West Ham success would have England top I’m sure but looking around it’s going to be based off next season so realistically going to have to wait till April next year before anybody knows if 5th would be enough. 

Would be typical Villa to finish 5th but all the English teams get knocked out before the quarters 🤣

• Haha 1

I know we will bring in new players, but I like the fact that Mings, Martinez, Douglas Luiz, Watkins, Konsa, McGinn have all now played comfortably over 100 games for us over 3-4 years. That sense of it being ‘their’ club is really important in a squad and makes me optimistic when you add it to new signings and Emery’s quality.