Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

No way he goes to Leicester.  He won't go to us either...  He is the first name the elite clubs will call when they need a new manager...  Why would he take a step backward in his career and go for either of the Villa or Leicester jobs?

Leicester are properly fooked right now.  Their board are publicly using the new UEFA FFP rules of <70% of revenue as salary as the reason why they aren't reinvesting any money into the club right now, but no manager worth his salt is going to walk into that mess after seeing how they've left Rogers out to dry with no funds while selling their best young player for a fortune.  Imagine if Villa hadn't spent any of the Grealish money last summer.  We'd be talking about Sean Dyche and Nigel Pearson too...

If I'm honest, whilst I do rate Poch highly , I think some of us are over pumping him here.

His only " Elite " job was PSG, which he lost.

We make it sound as if he is prime Mourinho or Pep Guardiola or something.

He went from Espanyol, to Southampton, to Tottenham, to PSG, where he was sacked.

Many an " elite " club needed a new Manager when he was previously unemployed and they all chose other people.

The likes of Rafa Benitez has a more impressive CV than him, and none of us would want Rafa, for example.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If I'm honest, whilst I do rate Poch highly , I think some of us are over pumping him here.

He went from Espanyol, to Southampton, to Tottenham, to PSG, where he was sacked.

Many an " elite " club needed a new Manager when he was previously unemployed and they all chose other people.

Agreed. Potter is better than Rodgers and Poch if you watch and understand football 

Edited by messi11

Gerrard beat Rodgers Leicester 2-1 at Villa park in December! 
Rodgers is currently on 6 games without a win! Looks Clueless currently with his team sitting at the bottom of the table. 
We don't want Rodgers at all. Hype Job that plays Dinosaur football 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You're underestimating just how highly he is rated...  The fact he's even being discussed here as a realistic possibility shows how out of touch many on Villa Talk are.  

• Espanyol - Took over a team 3rd from the bottom of the La Liga table with no money and got them to finish comfortably mid-table with good performances against Barca & Madrid.  Comfortably finished mid-table again the following season, before he was handcuffed by lack of funds and ultimately was sacked in his 3rd season when he hit a run of bad form.  
  • Southampton - He took a bottom half Premier League team to European Football and the highest top flight points total in their history.  Poached by Spurs to be their next manager.
  • Tottenham - He took a top half/Europa League contender team to the Champions League Final.  He was sacked because he didn't win them a trophy in 4 years and Levy lined up Mourinho behind his back to take over the job from him.
  • PSG - He won the league and French cup in his only full season at the club.  He was sacked because Man City trounced them in the Champions League quarter finals.

He has been successful everywhere as a manager and the Villa job is somewhere between where Southampton and Spurs were on his CV.  Why would he step backward in his career to come to us?  Just because he did a similar job before doesn't mean he wants to do it again when other opportunities will be available to him at clubs above our current level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KMitch said:

You're underestimating just how highly he is rated...  The fact he's even being discussed here as a realistic possibility shows how out of touch many on Villa Talk are.  

• Espanyol - Took over a team 3rd from the bottom of the La Liga table with no money and got them to finish comfortably mid-table with good performances against Barca & Madrid.  Comfortably finished mid-table again the following season, before he was handcuffed by lack of funds and ultimately was sacked in his 3rd season when he hit a run of bad form.  
  • Southampton - He took a bottom half Premier League team to European Football and the highest top flight points total in their history.  Poached by Spurs to be their next manager.
  • Tottenham - He took a top half/Europa League contender team to the Champions League Final.  He was sacked because he didn't win them a trophy in 4 years and Levy lined up Mourinho behind his back to take over the job from him.
  • PSG - He won the league and French cup in his only full season at the club.  He was sacked because Man City trounced them in the Champions League quarter finals.

He has been successful everywhere as a manager and the Villa job is somewhere between where Southampton and Spurs were on his CV.  Why would he step backward in his career to come to us?  Just because he did a similar job before doesn't mean he wants to do it again when other opportunities will be available to him at clubs above our current level.

Yeah but those jobs " above our level " aren't currently available and there is no guarantee they will be.

I assume if we were to go after a Manager like Poch it would be with a war chest and selling a vision for big things.

" You can build it here " etc.

Remember he was looking forward to and sacrificing with Tottenham for the new stadium and progression etc 

Some Managers love an ambitious overall " Project "

If every top manager we suggest gets shit down for one reason or another then what are we doing?

Thomas Frank would probably be in my 2nd or 3rd level tier choice category.

I don't process to know of many exotic gem type Managers at all outside UK to be fair.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah but those jobs " above our level " aren't currently available and there is no guarantee they will be.

I assume if we were to go after a Manager like Poch it would be with a war chest and selling a vision for big things.

" You can build it here " etc.

Remmeber he wa spooking forward to and sacrificing with Tottenham for the new stadium and progression etc 

Some Managers love an ambitious overall " Project "

If every too manager we suggest gets shit down for one reason or another then what are we doing?

Thomas Frank would probably be in my 2nd or 3rd level tier choice category.

Mourinho went to Roma is because his reputation took a hit after his time at Man United and Spurs and the top jobs weren't available to him anymore.  Same reason why Ancelotti went to Everton.  His time at Bayern was a disaster where he lost the dressing room and the team went to the board to have him sacked, and he took over for Sari for a very lackluster period at Napoli and because of those jobs, limited his options.  Poch hasn't fallen off that level yet...  He was let go of one of the top 5-6 jobs in Football right now because of his Champions League performance.  Plenty of options will open up for him in the next  year or two.  They will come available as long as he is patient.  

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

...and that project is much more appealing to someone with Poch's CV than Villa's.  

Diego Carlos had left Sevilla to come here.

Aren't Sevilla at best a UEFA Cup team these days?

I can't see how this is huge jump over us, with regards to ceiling.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Diego Carlos had left Sevilla to come here.

Aren't Sevilla at best a UEFA Cup team these days?

I can't see how this is huge jump over us, with regards to ceiling.

Been in the CL for the last couple of seasons. They'll be playing Man City in the group stages on Tuesday. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

Potter in his first season at Brighton not only kept them up but set their highest ever point tally in the PL

LOL

They finished 15th position, they were 1 point above relegation in Jan of that season and finished on a whopping 40 points which was, as u say, their highest ever points tally in the PL, Its amazing how, without context, something can be made sound slightly better than it actually is 

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Agreed. There’s no PL jobs coming up soon that would interest him other than Villa in terms of budget.

TT is making a claim for the Chelsea job to be coming up. It does surprise me and I think he is a genuinely good manager, but after spending so much money and with new owners it is not the time to be dropping points and playing poorly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The wonderful Potter's first 32 games in the PL managed 35 points which is 1.09 ppg. It kind of worked out for Brighton not sacking him then

Why would they have sacked him? 1.09 ppg for Brighton was plenty good enough for Brighton at the time as a newly promoted team in their first 3 seasons as a top flight team. It was a completely different remit to what you'd currently find at Villa in 2022, where it wouldn't (or shouldn't) be acceptable. A remit that was primarily focused on changing the style of football and culture at the club, something he achieved immediately. He also had a very impressive and experienced history that the club could fall back on during turbulent times to be more patient. Context matters.

3 hours ago, macandally said:

So you think your not wrong but for sure you are actually quite condescending. 

Nobody knows if they would come or not, but if the club actually wants to back it’s plan, those doors are the ones we should be knocking on

No offense intended, fellow VTer. My apologies. I can be a douche sometimes, I’ve been told. It sometimes is my way of expressing affection, weirdly. 🫤

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1