Weekends Football 7/8 May

andykeenan

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've never really been able to get my head around who would support MK Dons.

Do people who supported Wimbledon still support them? Or did they all cut ties and now support the phoenix club, who as I understand it have officially adopted Wimbledon's history (not quite sure how that works but anyway)

If you lived in Milton Keynes then would you start supporting them? I'm guessing football fans who live in MK have a team already. So would it only be people who were born there since? In which case has it been long enough to build up any sort of proper fan base.

All genuine questions. I just can't picture a scenario where I'd go "yeah I'll support MK Dons"

I always think if you live in area that has a football club you should at least take a passing interest in them. If you lived in MK for 10-15 years and got kids then why not take to a see a game.

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On the Wimbledon thing I am sure that MK Dons have returned the trophies to them in some agreement that would get MK Dons some membership into a clubs union or something like that

Yeah that's what I meant. They had to officially give AFC Wimbledon their honours or something. So AFC Wimbledon effectively have the history of Wimbledon FC, despite being a totally different club.

A bit like Rangers... ;) 

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I always think if you live in area that has a football club you should at least take a passing interest in them. If you lived in MK for 10-15 years and got kids then why not take to a see a game.

Oh for sure, but that's not really being a fan is it. You're not going to fill a stadium every week with that kind of support.

It's just a strange situation that we're not really used to in this country. 

I wonder if the same has happened for Wasps Rugby

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh for sure, but that's not really being a fan is it. You're not going to fill a stadium every week with that kind of support.

It's just a strange situation that we're not really used to in this country. 

I wonder if the same has happened for Wasps Rugby

Didn't see to cause anywhere as near as much controversy when Wasps moved in rugby. I guess they had already moved once to Wycombe already. I have no idea if its the same fans who have moved or they got a new support base. There is (was?) a Coventry rugby club which have probably got completely bypassed in the move.

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Didn't see to cause anywhere as near as much controversy when Wasps moved in rugby. I guess they had already moved once to Wycombe already. I have no idea if its the same fans who have moved or they got a new support base. There is (was?) a Coventry rugby club which have probably got completely bypassed in the move.

My understanding is a new support base in an area that is there for the taking, it's a huge catchment area for rugby, brum has no professional team

Not sure on how that catchment area compares to wasps London base but its definitely bigger than MK Dons potential 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Do people who supported Wimbledon still support them? Or did they all cut ties and now support the phoenix club, who as I understand it have officially adopted Wimbledon's history (not quite sure how that works but anyway)

If you lived in Milton Keynes then would you start supporting them? I'm guessing football fans who live in MK have a team already. So would it only be people who were born there since? In which case has it been long enough to build up any sort of proper fan base.

All genuine questions. I just can't picture a scenario where I'd go "yeah I'll support MK Dons"

I reckon they're a second team for a lot of people, who will happily attend the local MK Dons rather than, say, Arsenal or whoever because that trip isn't viable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Think about 50 fans of the club that folded around 2002 continued supporting them in Milton Keynes.

I went once to watch Walsall play there 5-6 years ago and was only about 7k for a Sat 3pm kick off (on an international break aswell) so yes it's a bit of mini Reading. Town full of supporters of prem clubs who perhaps go to watch them with cheap ticket deals.

Â