Which One is an Actual Band Name?

il_serpente

Sort of a rite of passage on VT for me here- first thread I've created.   I almost feel grown up now.

In the Song, Album and VT Music threads I see references to so many bands I've never heard of with names that sometimes make me doubt whether they actually exist, so I thought it might be fun to toss out some obscure band names mixed in with some made up ones and see if people can guess which one is real.   The rule is that they don't necessarily have to have issued (dropped 😉) any recordings, but they at least have to have had announcements/ads for live appearances appear in a printed publication or on a website other than their own.

I'll go first.   Which of the following was an actual band?

a.  Undisputed Socks

b.  Retractable Apparatus

c.  4 out of 5 Doctors

d.  Murderous Ants

e.  Pill Mongers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

And another:

a.  Smile Cartel

b.  Our Daughter's Wedding

c.  Boobsalot

d.  None of Your Business

e.  Steven Gray and the Fruit Pickers

Our Daughter's Wedding. 

19 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

And another:

a.  Smile Cartel

b.  Our Daughter's Wedding

c.  Boobsalot

d.  None of Your Business

e.  Steven Gray and the Fruit Pickers

Smile cartel? Bugger I see Mike has got it. 

Edited by Seat68

And now, for a twist:  Only one of these is NOT a band name, though all the real ones were pretty local in US metropolitan areas as far as I know, and one doesn't actually meet the criteria of having a recording or gig published.

a.  Cousin Al and the Relatives

b.  Danger Bunny

c.  Knick Knack Jones

d. The Swizzle Sticks

e. The Irrepressible Huguenots

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Complete stab in the dark...

The Irrespresible Huguenots, just because it probably should be

That's the one that's real but doesn't meet the criteria i set out.  A group of friends I played jazz with who occasionally played parties and charity events was asked our name by someone who was going to add it to the flyer for a party.  I had just come back a vacation in France, where we were laughing over a guide book's reference to the irrepressible Huguenots when discussing the history of a particular place and agreed that it would make a good band name.   So that's the name I gave the party host.  For some reason, one of my friends didn't like it and was upset at me for giving our group a name without consulting the others.   He was a bit humorless to begin with and then went all jingoist on us after 9/11 and the group dissolved, partly over that, before we (and the name) could attain fame and glory.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

That's the one that's real but doesn't meet the criteria i set out.  A group of friends I played jazz with who occasionally played parties and charity events was asked our name by someone who was going to add it to the flyer for a party.  I had just come back a vacation in France, where we were laughing over a guide book's reference to the irrepressible Huguenots when discussing the history of a particular place and agreed that it would make a good band name.   So that's the name I gave the party host.  For some reason, one of my friends didn't like it and was upset at me for giving our group a name without consulting the others.   He was a bit humorless to begin with and then went all jingoist on us after 9/11 and the group dissolved, partly over that, before we (and the name) could attain fame and glory.

Similarish story, in college we had sort of loosely decided we would be called ‘Spanners’.

The was a gig in the college of a couple of local bands in the town and we were offered a space on the poster, literally hand written in to a gap at the bottom of the poster. I was passing the student union office and they asked what the band name was, I could see it was a fairly small gap, so off the top of my head I just shouted back ‘The Alternative Vegetables’. 

Rest of the band **** furious when they saw the posters and realised that was us. One gig of three songs in front of about 9 student mates was all we ever did.

• Like 1

Â