Gordon's Mum 

The Collapsible Deckchairs 

The Mississippi Slumph Band 

Crumpet 

Zzzzzzzz 

Collapsible Deckchairs sounds possible. 

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Collapsible Deckchairs sounds possible. 

Correct. They were a local Leeds pop/punk band - three lads of about 14/15, doing Undertones-y songs about stuff like maths homework. Never got near a recording studio, but they were bloody great. I often wonder what became of them. 

The Mississippi Slumph Band was an entirely fictional group made up by some of my mates at school. We concocted an entire career for them - album titles, the lot. Funnily enough Steven Wilson did the same thing with Porcupine Tree - and then later turned them into an actual band. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, il_serpente said:

And now, for a twist:  Only one of these is NOT a band name, though all the real ones were pretty local in US metropolitan areas as far as I know, and one doesn't actually meet the criteria of having a recording or gig published.

a.  Cousin Al and the Relatives

b.  Danger Bunny

c.  Knick Knack Jones

d. The Swizzle Sticks

e. The Irrepressible Huguenots

Spoiler

The fake is The Swizzle Sticks

18 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

4 real, 1 fake...

• Ever Since The Lake Caught Fire
  • A Ninja Slob Drew Me
  • Whores Whores Whores
  • Nin Huugen
  • Marmalade Butcher

Marmalade Butcher is the fake.   I just know it.

22 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

One real, 4 fake:

a.  Spinsters in Heat

b.  Hell Hath No Fury

c.  The Bedbugs

d.  Misdiagnosis

e.  Crotch Rockets

3 real one at least three possibly four different bands called the Bedbugs Hell Hath No Fury plus the Crotch Rockets

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

3 real one at least three possibly four different bands called the Bedbugs Hell Hath No Fury plus the Crotch Rockets

That's the danger when making up fake band names:   There's a chance that someone has already thought of the same name.   The only one I knew of as a real band is Crotch Rockets.

It may be a better idea to go the 4 reals and 1 fake route.   I know you could come up with a bunch of those lists that would stump me.   I'm almost out of ammo.

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

That's the danger when making up fake band names:   There's a chance that someone has already thought of the same name.   The only one I knew of as a real band is Crotch Rockets.

It may be a better idea to go the 4 reals and 1 fake route.   I know you could come up with a bunch of those lists that would stump me.   I'm almost out of ammo.

I just thought too many of that selection looked plausible so I looked them up. Crotch Rockets sounded like a punk band, Hell Hath No Fury soulded like a Thrash metal band and The Bedbugs would have slotted in so many genres (especially 60s US Pop and Jangly Indie)

Â