Giants News

kkr

• 2 weeks later...

After today Eli Manning ties Phil Simms for most career wins as a Giants QB with 101 games.

212 Yards Passing today gives him 40,731 career passing yards which passes Joe Montana for 13th all time. 3880 more yards to move into the top 10 passers of all time.

With 3 more TD passes that gives him 266 career TD passes good for 12th all time and only 9 TD passes behind #11 Joe Montana and 11 behind Vinny Testaverde #10 all time with 275.

Eli has now started 171 consecutive games which is the third longest consecutive NFL quarterback starts streak of all time, behind his brother who at # 2 who started 208 consecutive games and #1 Brett Favre with 297 consecutive QB starts, a record that will probably never be broken.

Might sign Welker this week too.  TC singles him out for praise after he, Nicks and a few others worked out this past week.  With Cruz re-injuring the hammy and likely out a few more weeks, i think it would be a good addition, but maybe get some extra padded helmets or something!

Fells done for the year. At this point you gotta just pick up Welker.

You have to imagine Eli will be a HOF player. He's probably going to be top 10 in every QB category and 1st in every Giants one. That and 2 rings with 2 Super Bowl MVPs is a good resume.

Eli will probably get in, but it's not a slam dunk case.

Pros

2 rings

Top 10 in most traditional stats

Played in NY

Cons

.500ish career record

Mediocre stats when the game is on the line (about as bad at closing out games as he's good at comebacks)

Played in the Dungy-ball era... his career numbers won't be much above Jay Cutler, for example

Played in an era of long careers

Arguably got his rings by virtue of legendary defensive performances (holding 2 of the greatest offenses all time to roughly half of their typical scoring output)

Poor advanced stats (though the HoF voters probably won't take that into account)

He'll also probably come up in a logjam like we saw for the WRs of the 90s.

Yeah agreed with a lot of that.  Hope he can get another ring and pad his stats further in a West Coast Offense, which i think would make him a slam dunk case then.

I've been giddy all day. Still smiling now in fact. Such a huge win.

Also this made me LOL

CjLUP1K.png

Not bad for a fullback. They also gave Eli a negative grade apparently. Yeah, only the 441 yards, three touchdowns and game winning drive without any receivers.

He was also the NFC player of the week despite the -2.6 grading on PFF and all the talking bellends like Irvin and Evans etc on NFL Network spouting shit after the comeback win too.

Prince injured his pec last game so might miss this week.  Never makes it through 16 games, which is a shame as he is becoming a quality player.  First practice tomorrow so more injury updates should follow and hopefully we have some receivers who can play this week!

Yeah agreed with a lot of that.  Hope he can get another ring and pad his stats further in a West Coast Offense, which i think would make him a slam dunk case then.

I think a WCO (or any offense built around short passes, including textbook Erhardt-Perkins) is a poor fit for Eli, and I'd say it's fairly clear that Coughlin (who's an E-P guy generally) agrees: there's nothing else that accounts for bringing in Gilbride (of the run-and-shoot) in or having McAdoo (a WCO-background guy) not running anything like a WCO. Eli's skill set is prototypical Gillman/Air Coryell/Zampese, and a not terrible fit for run-and-shoot.

(or are you using West Coast Offense in its true sense, which is to say not the Bill Walsh/Mike Holmgren underneath passes to replace the running game offense?)

Â