Microsoft/Zenimax

Dave-R

Microsoft officially took control of Zenimax and Bethesda a couple days ago and the European commission fully approved the deal without any restrictions.

That means Inthe past couple of years Microsoft have bought some real lovely studios and there first party studios jump up to 23. It will be some years before we seen all the games from these development teams but at least they now have a solid collection of teams.

Zenimax and Bethesda have currently Elder Scrolls, fallout, Doom, dishonoured, The Evil within, Prey, Rage and many more as well as Starfield to be released somewhere down the line, this is a very exciting move and to any Xbox Owner this is great for them. It's still uncertain of how Microsoft will approach the release of games to Sony and Nintendo consoles and at some point Microsoft will let us know there intentions on that.

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

ES/FO better not be console exclusive.

If they end up being exclusive they would rule out a Sony and Nintendo release, you can still play Xbox games through pc.

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

ES/FO better not be console exclusive.

I don't think they will be - or if they are, they won't be 'numbered' sequels. 

I think it's far more likely to see new IP which will emulate those games, which you probably would buy if you had the console - but they won't actually be ES or FO.

You see Microsoft are in the money making business and they already have a few games that have released in other platforms besides Xbox.

There maybe certain releases like Starfield they could turn to exclusive and as Hogso says newer titles. There online titles such as Elder Scrolls online and Fallout 76 I doubt mostly would be turned exclusive because they are a service and sell well on all platforms. Games like Prey, Dishonoured Doom, Rage may be turned exclusive to entice more people to buy the console. Maybe here and there odd releases of Elder Scrolls and Fallout that are single player releases just so Microsoft could say if you want the whole package choose Xbox but since those two titles alone sell millions and make billions it would be unwise to make either ES or FO total exclusive.

I am keeping a close eye on what Microsoft come out with once they release a new statement and there plan for the future as many are like you worried they may never see some of the games they love alot on PC, playstation or Nintendo. One thing I can say about Microsoft is that they go by the whole idea that they want gamers connected and playing whatever they want in whatever they choose to play the game on. A console for Microsoft is a secondary thing and they will make lots of devices and allow gaming through whatever they can. So long as you buy into the gamepass ultimate there Netflix type service they don't mind you playing there games on a phone, where as Sony and Nintendo it's a primary objective to sell consoles to fans and restrict you to that Gen.

Nintendo though have in the past couple of years been working closer with Microsoft, forming a little bond and both company allowing some games in there consoles.

The future is bright in gaming and the industry is a crazy market for all sorts of business.

I think in the end most of Bethesda's title will be exclusive. 

The reason the press release said "some will be exclusive" is because some games are likely too far along in development to just cease work on a specific version, plus two of them are already PS5 timed exclusives (Deathloop and Ghostwire)

I think anything that is 2+ years away will be exclusive. Microsoft did not spend $7.5 billion to bolster the Xbox/Game Pass line-up to then put the games on PlayStation.  

I'm not a huge fan of consolidation of the industry, or of exclusives, but it feels like wishful thinking that Microsoft will go against all business sense just to be nice when their goal is to get every gamer signed up to Game Pass. 

• Like 1

The trailer they put out was proper cringe worthy stuff. Really embarrassing. I have an irrational hatred towards Todd Howard though so that could explain it. 

Phil Spencer just confirmed on the Xbox Roundtable stream that aside from honouring existing contracts (Deathloop/Ghostwire) and supporting games already on other platforms, everything else will only be on platforms where Game Pass is accessible. 

That's all we needed to know. Everything from today onwards outside of prior contractual commitments is Xbox/PC exclusive.   

Yeah Phil has also stated that future releases will be exclusive to Xbox and PC.

That is a blow for anyone who loves Bethesda games on there Nintendo and playstation but it will take some time for that to come in effect..

Enjoy it while it lasts those who own a playstation and Nintendo, I feel your pain because I do wish the day of exclusives on any platform would just come to an end.

On 11/03/2021 at 19:34, Daweii said:

That's all we needed to know. Everything from today onwards outside of prior contractual commitments is Xbox/PC exclusive.   

It was inevitable, anyone thinking anything else wasnt being sensible. They want a netflix type setup for games and it's called game pass. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It was inevitable, anyone thinking anything else wasnt being sensible. They want a netflix type setup for games and it's called game pass. 

Well it's game pass ultimate now, it's gold and gamepass all rolled into one, great service I feel.

If you do what I do and share your games with your kids Xbox gamepass can be real cheap. I take off recurring payments and I take turns paying £1.00 between our consoles for 3 months.

Yeah it's hard to see any game that has no contractual obligations being multiplatform. Which makes sense from Microsofts point of view. They wanna drive Game Pass subscriptions and this is a hell of a way to do it. Whether you play on Xbox, PC or via X Cloud they don't care too much. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Thanks 1

Â