Baseball

ianrobo1

Juan Pablo. :notworthy:

Mets just blew it. 1-0 up with the Padres down to their last strike and fucing Eckstein gets a hit to tie it up. They then hit a walk off grand slam in the 11th to win it. Still no back-to-back road wins. Jerry has no brain.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit pitcher retired first 26 batters and quite clearly retired the 27th, he was a good step away from the bag when the ball got to first, only for the umpire to call him safe. It wasn't even close, but even if it was you side with the pitcher, especially when his team is 3-0 up and he's 1 out from a perfect game.

I would have beat the living shit out of the guy on the field, that call was a disgrace.

I don't know if you get the same commentary over there, but as this was going on, the Mets announcers Gary Cohen and Ron Darling (who are generally excellent announcers) were monitoring events in Detroit and could not stop talking about it. OK, it's big news, but could you please turn your attention back to the game you are supposed to be commenting on (Padres-Mets), which I'm trying to watch and enjoy? Ron Darling was especially was acting especially ticked off at the guy losing the perfect game.

Didn't stay long enough to do anything unfortunately. We had to be back by 6 and left late, maybe next time.

There would have been nothing to do in Burlington anyway, except stare at the freeway or go to the mall.

Didn't stay long enough to do anything unfortunately. We had to be back by 6 and left late, maybe next time.

There would have been nothing to do in Burlington anyway, except stare at the freeway or go to the mall.

We went and got food at a place called D'Angelos or something and left, that was about it. My uncle had to pick tonnes of stuff up from a music store there.

Yes, he was tremendous. Pitched a great game Saturday, too (I was at that game).

To borrow an English football term, Citi Field has really become a "fortress" this year. If we can at least break even on the road, we've a good chance for the playoffs. Baltimore this weekend and Cleveland after that would be a good place to start (both are crap teams).

Detroit pitcher retired first 26 batters and quite clearly retired the 27th, he was a good step away from the bag when the ball got to first, only for the umpire to call him safe. It wasn't even close, but even if it was you side with the pitcher, especially when his team is 3-0 up and he's 1 out from a perfect game.

I would have beat the living shit out of the guy on the field, that call was a disgrace.

Great piece from Tom Verducci in SI

Cheers for that, very good read.

While I think he does deserve praise for admitting his mistake - something all football refs need to learn from - I think it's more of a reflection on Galarraga, how he handled it was incredible. I'd have been ejected from the game without question, it's probably the rarest individual acheivment in sport, so to have that taken away from you would be pretty.. irritating, to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Prince Harry throws out first pitch for the Mets

Britain's Prince Harry has a pretty good arm.

Harry threw the ceremonial first pitch with a bit of zip before the Mets played the Minnesota Twins on Saturday, the second day of his visit to New York.

"He did well," said Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey, who tutored Harry for a few minutes before his pitch.

Without much fanfare, Harry walked to the mound when the Mets ran onto the field before the first inning and received polite applause from the Citi Field crowd. He was wearing a blue Mets cap and a white T-shirt with "walking with the wounded" written on the front in red lettering. The Mets had made him a pinstriped jersey with "Wales" and the number 22 on the back.

The 25-year-old prince is the younger son of Charles, Prince of Wales, and the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

Harry, third in line to the British throne, will walk with wounded veterans participating in a road race through Central Park on Sunday.

Standing on the pitching rubber, Harry sheepishly waved to the crowd before shaking his right arm several times and doing a full body jiggle to loosen up. He then made a hard, accurate throw that was a little high, forcing catcher Rod Barajas to stand from his crouch to make the catch of the pitch that crossed the plate.

Dickey spent about five minutes with Harry before the game helping him with his mechanics. He said the prince was throwing with a more straight-armed cricket throw so he told him to bend his elbow.

"We didn't talk about Parliament or anything," Dickey said. "We're just two guys having a catch."

Outfielder Jeff Francoeur had a chance to talk World Cup soccer with Harry before the game.

"I told him (the Americans) won Group C," Francoeur said. "He said, he'll have the last laugh."

The United States was eliminated from the World Cup after a 2-1 loss to Ghana on Saturday. England will play Germany on Sunday.

A lieutenant in the British Army, Harry spent several innings in a luxury suite with Mets owner Fred Wilpon, the founder of Welcome Back Veterans, a charity which provides support and treatment for soldiers with post traumatic stress disorder.

Earlier Saturday, Harry toured a UNICEF operations center.

On Sunday, Harry is scheduled to participate in a sporting event he is more familiar with: a polo match.

The third annual Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic on Governors Island, in New York Harbor, will benefit American Friends of Sentebale, the U.S. arm of the global charity co-founded by Harry.

Sentebale provides support to orphans and at-risk children in Lesotho, an impoverished African nation whose inhabitants have one of the shortest average life expectancies in the world.

Harry was to promote his charity at a reception at a country club in Greenwich, Conn., later Saturday.

On Friday, Harry showed off his aim on the firing range at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, where he participated in training exercises with cadets. The activities included shooting an M4 rifle.

Harry served in Afghanistan in 2008 as a battlefield air controller until a media leak cut his time short.

• 2 weeks later...

He still has half a season to put it right, but it's safe to say that Jason Bay has been a big disappointment so far. Fans are really starting to turn on him now.

With Pelfrey struggling and Dickey starting to come back to Earth, it's imperative we get another starting pitcher. I'm reading that a deal for Ted Lilly of the Cubs is in the works.

He still has half a season to put it right, but it's safe to say that Jason Bay has been a big disappointment so far. Fans are really starting to turn on him now.

With Pelfrey struggling and Dickey starting to come back to Earth, it's imperative we get another starting pitcher. I'm reading that a deal for Ted Lilly of the Cubs is in the works.

with regards to bay his production clearly represented good value considering the contract the mets gave him BUT no-one hits home runs at citi field. its bloody impossible.

with regards to bay his production clearly represented good value considering the contract the mets gave him BUT no-one hits home runs at citi field. its bloody impossible.

He's hit 3 HRs on the road, that's the same as Jose Reyes and less than a third as David Wright. I know he's been used to hitting in that sand box in Boston, but 3 at Citi isn't good enough. Even Johan got one there this year. :D

Â