Do you read?

Luke_W

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped reading anything that isn't non-fiction quite organically over the last ten years or so, not really sure why. Nowadays fiction only gets picked up if someone lends me something they like or if I get something for birthdays, christmas etc. Having said that I can say without exaggeration that I've probably read Catch 22 close to fifty times so I suppose that is my favourite book.

The last fiction I read was The Cleft by Dorris Lessing, which was a really interesting premise for a book. Started out as an engaging pseudo-historical fable but degenerated into utter gash (pun intended) by the end.

Currently working my way through loads of non-fiction though. In no particular order:

The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk (fourth of fifth time read)

Flat Earth News by Nick Davies

Chavs by Owen Jones

A raft of Cesar Milan books

Jerusalem by Simon Sebag-Montefiore

Stalin, Court of the Red Tsar by same author

Feral by George Monbiot

On Anarchy by Noam Chomsky

Also looking for a decent practical guide to building your own generator guerrilla stylee, because we had a power cut yesterday and I made a drunken commitment to avoid minor inconveniences in the future,

I've just finished The Twelve by Justin Cronin and can't wait 'till the next and last in his trilogy comes out. The Passage was better, but it's still a good book.

Fantastic story - I thought both books were equally brilliant. Took me a while to get into the second with the timeline shift, but absolutely brilliant overall.

I tweeted Justin Cronin t'other day regarding the release date on Amazon for City of Mirrors (they have it as October this year) and he replied! Sadly it is not coming out in October, but if it's half as good as the first two, it will be more than worth the wait.

I believe Ridley Scott purchased the film rights, before the first book even came out. It's gone a bit quiet on the film, last I heard Matt Reeves was directing it.

• Like 1

Yeah I loved both books I got them both the day that they were released, the passage was superb and Amy was a great character it was a shame she didn't have a bigger role in the second one.

I actually thought that the twelve was a lot easier to read, it didn't seem to have as much of the poetic description that the first one did

• Like 1

Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. and I found it a great read. One of the most brilliantly narrated books I have read.

Read this at school back in the 90's.

Remember starting it under duress for detention avoidance purposes and then absolutely loving it. Have read it again since - it's a wonderful book.

Another one from school days (6th form this time) was Truman Capote's 'In cold blood' - remains one of the best books I have ever read and one I plan on reading again at some point.

I've got quite a few options for my next read and now I know the final instalment of the Passage Trilogy won't be out for a while, I am thinking of giving Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy a go.

Anyone read it?

I've heard about Scott buying the rights for the films and I can't wait for them to be filmed. I hope he can do them justice. Actually got the news about the films from our own VT film mogul. :)

I've heard about Scott buying the rights for the films and I can't wait for them to be filmed. I hope he can do them justice. Actually got the news about the films from our own VT film mogul. :)

The thing that worries me is, I think you could easily get 3 or 4 films out of the first two books alone. I would expect the third to be roughly the same in size - there is no way they could fit it into one trilogy IMO, without HUGE sacrifices to the story.

True. It would probably be better suited as a TV show like GoT. Make a pilot of What happens before, if you know what I mean, and then get on with it. Think that could be very good. IF it's not done like they do King's books to TV shows. Under the dome was a shame to the book.

Has anyone read 'The Narrow Road to the Deep North' by Richard Flanagan? I'm not one to buy into the whole Man Booker shite, but I've heard really good things about it from trusted sources (the internet). It's about Aussie PoWs forced to work on Burma's railway by the Japanese during WWII.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I love Faulkner. 'As I Lay Dying' is a good starting point. It has a fairly conventional plot and while it shifts perspective a lot, it isn't hard to follow, as individuals have their own chapters/segments. Another of his, 'The Sound and the Fury', is one of my favourite books, and that is a complete head **** to read.

Â